It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proper For Older Women?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Never give a hair dresser free reign. Get a photo of what you want. You know your own hair and what right for it better than the girl just meeting you for the first time. I go to the salon in our local J C Penneys store and see the same girl for years. Still I tell her what I want. a reply to: Night Star

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I do that too. Put on all the jewelry you think you need then remove one piece. Channel is a style as much as a brand. A classic black pencil skirt and a well fitted white blouse will never go out of style ! No matter the label.

a reply to: chasingbrahman

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Oh my a man who knows just what to say. Look at the stars your post is racking up! a reply to: openyourmind1262

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I always had thin hair I kept short my whole life. My grey hair is much coarser than my natural brown and it curls very easy so now my hair is thicker and nicer than its ever been.
It's true that menopause changes hair and for many women short hair is an answer to thining hair.

a reply to: 2manyholes

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
15minutes? I'm just getting started. If it's an occasion I can take up to two hours to get ready.
I never leave the house without makeup. But doing that since I'm a teenager has protected my skin from Sun damage and at 57 I still do not have any wrinkles. Not even crows feet or smile lines. I was never what you'd call a natural beauty. Still I get looks and I always get whistled at or honked at though now I just look at them like they're nuts.
a reply to: Restricted

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I pray everyday that my wife will have long hair trough our elderly years.

Maybe it's just me but I don't care if it's not as young looking, grey and thinner than before.
I find old women with long grey hair to be much more attractive than short haired ones, I see it like they haven't lost their individuality.

Also, some say people with long hair are more intune with their spiritual side...

www.quantumbalancing.com...
edit on 4-8-2014 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: 2manyholes

I had a good laugh too!! Thanks!

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

You're most welcome, I am so glad you enjoyed them!

I have found that after too many years of too many bad experiences beyond my control, it is difficult to bounce back.

I agree with you here, and have experienced similar...which is why it is all the more important that no one should give up - we cannot change experiences beyond our control, but we can change our attitudes toward them. Some days I must work harder than others to be positive, but then there are those weeks where the "flow" (for lack of a better word), is easy and fabulous! I can now appreciate both being "in the flow" and the attempt to re-enter it when need be. I like seeing it as the lows are only meant as contrast to know the beauty of the highs.

Thank you for the warm welcome, fellow elf sister!
I love your signature - very apropos to this conversation in particular!

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

It is perhaps telling that it is only ever those who exhibit absolutely no intelligence or sweet nature, who do such things.

I concur, and would like to add tact to that list! An art almost as lost as common sense and manners these days.

Loved your story TrueBrit, and alas, I was once warned away from gents like you!
I grew up in a small town with one pool hall, from which I was explicitly -in no uncertain terms- warned away from, lest I encounter the "ne'er-do-wells & their long hair". Well that worked exactly NEVER, and I was a regular from that moment on. lol Even at the tender age of 13, I knew inherently that character meant more than appearance ever could, and there was no logical way to determine that other than speaking to someone.

Imagine that we are all unique beings, with the right to determine our choices and consulting no one. Such a novelty to some, it would seem! I don't wake up each day, dressing for anyone but myself, if someone dismisses me for it, then it is they who might be missing out. Rock on, bearded one!

edit on 4-8-2014 by MoonBlossom because: Spelling

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

but then, some books say Berenstain Bears now too,

Hello jacygirl! - I KNEW there was a thread I meant to get back too! Apparently my memory takes a backseat to the beach these days. lol Not surprising, given our limited Canadian summers. I agree, if those Bears had their names changed, then clearly your age is but a misprint too!

These days, I dress according to which "me" I feel like...could be rock t-shirt and jeans...could be gypsy skirt and tank top. On happy days, it varies between rock chic and gypsy/hippy chic.

Yes, this is me too for the most part! The hilarious bit is, I seem to often get asked in various stores where such-and-such is - how I am mistaken for an employee with no uniform is beyond me. My friend says it's because I shop with purpose and it shows, whatever that means. lol

I agree - this whole thread has felt like my "tribe" of people - and I too, wonder WHERE are these people in real life?! Though the lack of, could be attributed to living in a smaller community - no matter, still going to keep sparkling!

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I love to observe people as I am out shopping and about. It is refreshing to see so many older women these days who look beautiful with their long hair and nice clothing. Not at all like the days of old where once you hit a certain age you become too old for your hair and clothes. LOL

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
a reply to: Shana91aus

i remember that tv show called what not to wear had great segments on this kind of thing.

I Love that show! usually they did an awesome job on people, but not always. I could never trust a hairdresser to do what THEY think is best. I tried that before and hated it! That show usually did a great job with clothing, but I wonder how many of them kept up with those styles or resorted back to their old ways. LOL

Me too! Did they stop making it? I don't see it on here in Australia anymore! Yeah they did some awesome transformations, good for a laugh sometimes too, haha.. Oh yeah! ill bet some were back to their rainbow parachute pants or gold hotpants within weeks! Me neither but she had only asked for a trim! i have seen the same hairdresser for years but not long ago she was away and i had to see the new one there, anyway i just asked for about 1cm off just to give my ends a clean up, so long story short she used them thinning scissors on me and i cant even tye my hair up anymore because i have this short bottom layer that hangs down haha, why is their interpretation of a 'trim' so dramatic! Lol. And mum had asked for a easy to manage colour to help with the greys and then selected that shade and yeah bright orange, have you seen chucky from the chucky movies? Basically the same colour and length as that lovely little fella. Some hairdressers should just simply not do hair lol like at all! Haha.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I've always respected my elders who can rock a short, edgy style.
It always shows strength of character.

Ladies with more conventional maternal styles always have my respect as well.

Personally I'm working on long, waist-length (hopefully white or silver-grey).

Looking forward to it, actually!
I actually get excited with each silver/white hair that crops up.
They're like Experience Points.

Here's to all you lovely ladies out there - regardless of style preference!
Keep rockin'!

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   
As a forty year old man I can appreciate that most women want to look nice, but some are practical and wear the appropriate clothing that feels comfortable for them, others can wear nice dresses and get away with it.
But the ones I find funny are the ( as the term goes) mutton dressed as lamb, the older 40,50,60 year old woman who dresses like a 20 year old with modern styles or one who clearly doesn't have the figure for the clothes she's trying to wear.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Shana91aus

OMG orange hair! She must have been pissed off after that. LOL

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: DataWraith

Yes there are indeed age appropriate clothing. I can't see a 70 year old in a mini skirt or anything. LOL But there are fashionable and very flattering clothing for women of all ages and sizes.

What drives me crazy is when I see a woman who literally looks like she has been poured into her clothes, or like they have been painted on they are so tight. Good grief, you have to breathe! Just admit that you are a size or two or three larger than you think and get the right size!

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Just wanted to comment, Night Star, that this was an amazing thread idea...and it's great to see so many women on ATS.
On topic, I spent my 20's dressing like I was 40 and my 30's dressing like I was 20. Now at 43..I'm kinda all over the place.
It's summer,and I'm always in a maxi dress or skirt and tank top,and sandals...always sandals. Come fall, I love warm fuzzy stuff...like flannel shirts, and big sweaters.
I rarely wear make up anymore, unless going out. My hair is past my mid back length,as it has been for years, and I do color it.Right now it's a light brown, strawberry blonde color. Usually I have it in a pony tail, or side braid.
I suppose I simply wear whats comfortable.I hate shirts with sleeves as I feel restricted by them and would rather throw a loose sweater over top if I feel chilly.I also prefer to thrift shop for clothing,and rarely follow trends unless I can copy them with a cheaper version. I have been known to browse the fashion magazines with my daughters and buy similar styles to recent trends at consignment shops.Just too easy to save a few bucks...and use it to buy accessories.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: AccessDenied

Oh second hand consignment shops are so awesome!!!!! Love them! You can sometimes find angora or cashmere sweaters for like 6.00 or 10.00 instead of 60 or 100 or whatever. I have one of the most beautiful scarfs with silk velvet and beautiful colors and design for two bucks! Real leather purses, awesome jewelry, fine china and crystal and tons of books etc. One year I got a long wool coat for 7.00 looked like new!!!

Thanks for bringing up thrift shopping! You can often find clothing with the tags still on, or items that look brand new and like you've spent a fortune when it cost next to nothing!

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join