It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proper For Older Women?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Destinyone
a reply to: Night Star

I still like the classic little black dress for going out to special events, and carry off it with confidence and style. For more casual, long dresses and sun dresses depending on the weather.

I'm old...but still young at heart.

Des

Lets not forget those shoes... Those beautiful black, very high heels.

See you thought I forgot already.... Nope

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   

I am 64. I remember my mom would not leave the house until she was "all dolled up". It was expected. Back then, women did what was "expected". Sometimes, when she was late getting dinner on the table, she would fry up onions just to get the smell so the old man would think she had been busy all day. Menstrual pain or illness, it was "expected". And she did not go to bed until every dish was done. It was "expected". I am so grateful to the brave women of the 60's that started breaking down those ancient ways. I dress to please myself.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Well thank you Night Star!

Fact is, you are never too old, or for that matter too young to insist on being free to be who you are, without being accosted over it.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Night Star!!! I love this thread!!! *hugs*

Wow, just wow. What a delightful gathering of 'my kind of people'!!

My birth certificate says that I'm 53 (but then, some books say Berenstain Bears now too, so I'm thinking they're all damn lies, lol!)
It seems like the older I got, the more youthful I became. Nearly always had long hair...currently it's at my waist (in the back). As a stay-at-home mommy, I dressed modestly and for comfort.
By the time my girls were teenagers, we were being asked if we were all sisters, often. The same height and size, we started wearing each other's clothes...and my wardrobe became more "me", to be honest.

I'm such a big fan of people who look different/original....and please themselves.
These days, I dress according to which "me" I feel like...could be rock t-shirt and jeans...could be gypsy skirt and tank top. On happy days, it varies between rock chic and gypsy/hippy chic.
On serious days, such as going to court for a friend...I wore black pencil skirt with pinstripe jacket...and 3 people in the waiting room asked if I was a lawyer...hehe...

Much love and respect to all of you, for being original...for being true to yourselves...and for being real.
Now...why can't I find any of you in real life, huh?

jacygirl

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Women age differently from each other and if getting "jowls" runs in your family, then having longer hair emphasizes your jowls. Having short, tapered hair with more volume on top and less on the bottom is just a better look for some aging, jowly faces. If you have long hair and it is big & curly it is probably not too difficult to get some volume on the top, but if your hair is straight or wavy then getting it voluminous on top takes more time and effort. If you can pull off long hair as an older woman and look good, then I say go for it.

Sal

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I'll be turning 57 this year. I've finally decided to go gray. I've colored my whole life but it finally feels right. I also have long hair. EVERYONE tells me I should cut it short because I am married and older. Then I see these beautiful "old" models on TV and think "Screw you...I'm going gray and long!" It depends on each woman's individual journey in life. How boring we'd all be if we were the same. I say, do as you please as long as it's not ridicules. If your in your 50's, you might not want to borrow clothes or dress like you daughter or granddaughter. Otherwise, have fun!

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I am 62. I wear my hair long because I am lazy. Unlike the person who said they have their hair short because it is easier, i think long is easier. There is no need to get it trimmed ev - ery 6 weeks or so to keep it looking good. It is now shot through with gray. I think there is nothing more beautiful than a woman with naturally silver hair. To care for it, I just wash it and comb it. It then does it slight curl thing all by itself. I can't imagine dying it and having to touch up the roots all the time - I am way too lazy to do something like that.

When I was in high school they started letting girls were pants to school! Awesome! I have only worn a dress twice since then. As to bras - there was this hot day one summer when I was in high school. Too hot, bra was so uncomfortable. I took it off when I got home and have not worn one since then.

I have told my family when I die I want to be buried in my usual every-day clothes, a pair of jeans, t-shirt, a fleece jacket, and my New Balance sneakers - oh, and be sure to put some hand sewing in with me and a good book in case these things are needed in the afterlife - maybe the Egyptians were right.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I think it depends on the person, their sense of style, their lifestyle, how active they are etc...and, TBH, how many younger women they associate with and if they are single or married.

Because, let's face it, if you run with the herd, you got to keep up. LOL!

edit on 8/1/2014 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Gotta ask is a bad hair day really is a thing?

Well I'm officially old and boring, I just cut my hair into a LOB (long bob according to my sister) and it is waaaaaayyy more work than my usual long hair that I use to wash and scrunch up and forget about, unless I was going somewhere fabulous then fabulous hair would be created (In my own mind of course) Luckily my hair grows as fast as a wookies so I should be long in no time.

Girls we can wear big hair, short hair, shiny straight or curly, Dye it or let it silver up, celebrate our crowning glory any way we want!
Be fat skinny athletic or slobbish, making us all a little different is what I prefer, who wants "age appropriate" to make us all look the same? Not me.

The truest way to be attractive to yourself and others is self confidence.

Shimmy shimmy on gals. I love you all as you are.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I have my hair long as well. I wear makeup and dangle earrings and other jewelry and what I feel like are nice, femanin clothes. Thankfully, my weight is ok so far. I think it is about a few things...one being, what makes you feel comfortable relevant to your own self, your "style". Another can have to do with where you live and how many women in that area present themselves. Example...I lived in city areas when in my 20's, (NY, Phillie) and such. Some of my gal pals were models and we all enjoyed wearing makeup and dressing in pretty clothes. I moved to Hawaii and took on a more laid back style like long dresses and long hair and good tan.

We moved down South and not everyone here dresses like Honey Boo Boo family. LOL. Everything from Camo style to fancy "Southern Belle" attire...I dress either way I want, depending on my mood that day and such.

Then, we moved to Yellowstone, Wyoming for a while. My makeup and "style" did not go well there...all short hair oldies but baddies, no makeup, no jewelry, just dirty jeans and never a smile. Well, we only lasted there 7 months, between the wind, cold, altitude and the cranky folks.

I like being a "girl", albeit, an older one. I'm a retired nurse but also and artist and gardener and I just love lots of color and light and beauty in my life. I like lacey, pastel clothes as well as colorful clothes, yet, I can do "Camo" style and even limited "Goth" still. I dye my hair platinum and I like makeup. It can be worn to make one look better yet not gross if one does it just right. The Wyoming chics all told me to stop wearing makeup because I was in cattle country now...LOL. The heck with that. I figure, if someone doesn't want to try and get to know me because they don't like my "style", that is their loss as I think I'm a decent person and kind hearted and gentle of spirit.

We need to be true to ourselves. Granted, some of those Wally world people pics where people go to extremes even make me shudder....but, basically, I feel like we are on earth to try and enjoy our lives and if we like color and lace and long hair and shiny jewelry and sweet perfume and on other days, we like camo jeans or black Gothic clothes, that is our business. Of course there are limits but all styles can be presented tastefully if one uses common sense. Being a "girl" can be fun, no matter the age. Being a free spirit to an extent is, well....freeing.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: MoonBlossom
This man has such a beautiful heart and his entire channel is SO uplifting!

He does! Thank you....

a reply to: shrevegal
You know what I'd love to delve into...but not here..maybe in another topic someday because this is too positive a thread...is WHY free spirits bother some people so much.

It seems it makes some people very uncomfortable when someone is just being himself or herself...not fitting some preordained mold of how they "should" be.
edit on 8/1/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

It seems it makes some people very uncomfortable when someone is just being himself or herself...not fitting some preordained mold of how they "should" be.

Perhaps they wish that they could be their own unique self but fear going against the crowd. Maybe they are resentful that some people can so easily do what they want and aren't judged.

I had a friend who once told me they admired me so much back in our school years. I said, "Why????" She said that while so many others were wearing mostly t-shirts and jeans, I would think nothing of wearing dresses and skirts or dress pants and pretty blouses and sweaters. She said I always looked so cool, but she was afraid of going against what was expected. Not that I never wore t-shirts and jeans, but I didn't wear it like a uniform all the time or because t was expected.

I had a co-worker/friend some years back who wore nothing but t-shirts and jeans and always judged people like me as thinking we were 'better' than everyone else or trying to put on airs. LOL When she got to know me she was shocked at how down to earth I was and was nothing like she thought I would be. LOL I accepted her and her chosen comfort zone of clothing and she ended up respecting mine.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 03:56 AM
link   
a reply to: MarlinGrace

Isn't Des just gorgeous? She is beautiful on the inside and the outside.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 03:59 AM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

Much love and respect to all of you, for being original...for being true to yourselves...and for being real.
Now...why can't I find any of you in real life, huh?

LOL! The same with finding people like ourselves that are into conspiracies and paranormal etc, things that you can't talk about to just anyone.

Thank God, we can at least find each other here! HUGS!

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 04:02 AM
link   
a reply to: shrevegal

We need to be true to ourselves. Granted, some of those Wally world people pics where people go to extremes even make me shudder....

Hahahahaha! OH MY! Yes, there must be limits, there has to be!

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 04:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

I am 64. I remember my mom would not leave the house until she was "all dolled up". It was expected. Back then, women did what was "expected". Sometimes, when she was late getting dinner on the table, she would fry up onions just to get the smell so the old man would think she had been busy all day. Menstrual pain or illness, it was "expected". And she did not go to bed until every dish was done. It was "expected". I am so grateful to the brave women of the 60's that started breaking down those ancient ways. I dress to please myself.

Oh yes, exactly! I'm glad women smartened up and broke out of that mold!

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 04:05 AM
link   
a reply to: SallieSunshine

I agree that short hair looks better on some women. We should have what we feel looks best and feels best for ourselves.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 05:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
a reply to: MarlinGrace

Isn't Des just gorgeous? She is beautiful on the inside and the outside.

If I wasn't a happily married man she would be in trouble, and yes very beautiful. I love her post, she is quick on her feet, and very smart. That makes her double trouble.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Very interesting Nightstar! I can't believe I didn't see this when you first posted it. I had actually thought of posting it myself right after that thread where we discussed originally. You did a better job than I would have though, so thanks.

Now I have a few pages to read and I think I am just going to be me for as long as I am here. I'm going to keep my hair the way I want it and dress the way I want to. If it bothers anybody, then I guess they can just suck it up. It's always better to be pissed off than pissed on anyway.

I made up my mind years ago that I wasn't going to color my hair either. I started getting stray grays when I was about 20. I haven't gotten a ton of them just yet as I am only 37, but I find myself more curious about how my hair will look completely gray. It just doesn't bother me like it seems to bother others.

I'm just going to be Kanga and let the chips fall where they may. If nothing else, I can be some comedy relief for myself.

edit on 8/2/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Why am I here?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join