It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Hall of Fame.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Being at that top of any field or level of expertise is generally a temporal event. I'm not certain that such a thing can be recognized permanently. People change and different levels of consistency.

There was some attempts years ago to have stickies of important threads and generally speaking they fell in and out of maintenance. I imagine looking over an individual poster's body of work would be even more effort than just identifying a good thread alone.

I get why persons would want this just there might not be the best effort to benefit ratio.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: charles1952
Thanks for thinking of me, but I'm afraid that's only because I posted the OP.

There are many more qualified, beezer hops to mind and he has a longer track record. I can do with an "Honorable mention." But again, the idea would leave it up to the Mods.

Besides, TerryMcGuire refers to "Dear kind sweet and compassionate Bassago." Can you get a better recommendation than that?

Oh good lord! Please don't nominate me. It's akin to giving a monkey a flamethrower. You can't predict the results 100%, but you know it'll be bad regardless.

lolz

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
It will be come a popularity contest and not on the contribution of a person.

As an example You can see from my "stats" I did my time, postings/replys etc etc etc.

I am in the top members who are over 10,000 Flags and Stars, etc etc etc.

But, due to my inactivity for some time now, I am virtually unknown to most here.

Am I eligable (or others like me).

What would be the criteria etc. etc etc.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Although I am humbled by what Charles previously stated, I must add that it would turn into a popularity contest.

And while I would nail the swimsuit portion. . .

There are so many that are more deserving. Now the best post thread? That should be considered as an alternative, in my humble. There are so many and would perhaps garner interest in the thread of origin.

Kindest regards,

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: spacedoubt

But I love lemon snow cones!

: puz :

ETA: I'm nowhere near the top of the list so why link to my profile?

edit on 31/7/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I appreciate the kind thoughts behind the idea but what if someone gets 'Hall of Fame' status and then they start to have board issues? Fall from grace? That would be a problem. Never canonize anyone until they are dead and never 'Hall of Fame' someone until they are retired. IMHO So I'd vote 'no' on Hall of Fame. Sorry.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

And to add.

Really, The Hall of Famers are the mods....

Ask em.....

(kidding thin skinned ones)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

I'm nowhere near the top of the list so why link to my profile?

It's not a link to *your* profile per se. It's a link to one's own profile.

I've fallen for that one myself before.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Wait til you see the hall of shame.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

lol. Thanks. [And I've actually used it. *blush*]

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs
a reply to: WanDash
Beheading ceremony?
Just send them here.

Thanks, randyvs
In fact - that was precisely the scene that came to mind

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Pinke

Dear Pinke,

I'm sorry I did not make my intentions more clear.

There was some attempts years ago to have stickies of important threads and generally speaking they fell in and out of maintenance. I imagine looking over an individual poster's body of work would be even more effort than just identifying a good thread alone.

Yes, it would be more work, but the Mods could determine how much more work it would be. If they chose one person a week, that would be impressive. Could they pre-screen? Sure. Looking at the number of post violations for manners and decorum the poster had would be an easy screen. They could set a minimum number of posts to make sure they had a good feel for the poster's style and manner. The mods could determine how many samples of the poster's work they looked at.

Being at that top of any field or level of expertise is generally a temporal event. I'm not certain that such a thing can be recognized permanently. People change and different levels of consistency.

Sure, it's possible that someone who has been a reasonable sweet guy for years could become a bully and a monster. But they would be identified by complaints by members and post removals. If they go through a long period of problems they could be removed.

I get why persons would want this just there might not be the best effort to benefit ratio.
As I say, the effort is entirely in the hands of the Mods. It's no more work than they decide to make it. If it's not the best effort to benefit ratio, what would be better?

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

I'm not sure how this would avoid being a popularity contest.

There it is. Posting here is mostly opinion of the member.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: anon72

Dear anon72,

Let me try to explain it a little differently, sometimes I have trouble explaining myself.

It can't become a popularity contest, because it doesn't matter how many people nominate you. Once a member suggests to the Mods that you have shown an unusual level of respect, decorum, thoughtfulness to other members, it goes to the staff. If the staff agrees, then you're in.

As far as the value of the person's contribution goes, that's not as important as how it was expressed. This is not a "Brilliant Insight Club," or a "Cutting Response Society," or even the "League of Laughter." It's designed to hold up people who are decent, caring. polite, you know what I'm talking about.

Yes, I see that you have been a very valuable, contributing member. Your inactivity doesn't change your personality when you did post, though. Of course, you'd be eligible. If your name was on a page available to members, they could then call up your old posts to see what you did right. The indicators we have now don't announce that a poster has made respectful posts, just that he's made a lot of them.

I think I've explained why it wouldn't be a popularity contest. It wouldn't matter if one person nominated you, or a hundred.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Dear beezzer,

Great bod (But I thought you were a guy. Hormone treatments?).

I think I've explained why it wouldn't be a popularity contest.

Now the best post thread? That should be considered as an alternative, in my humble. There are so many and would perhaps garner interest in the thread of origin.
Fine idea, go for it. But it doesn't measure decorum and respect.

Listen everyone. In some areas ATS has become a crazy shouting match. The Big Bosses have said no more of that stuff. The Mods can try to discourage disrespect, but they can't get it all and some cases are close to the line and left in. That's the stick side of the approach.

I'm suggesting that we add a carrot side (sorry, beezzer). Encourage respectful conversation. Hold up examples. provide guides for the newcomers. It would tell them "It doesn't matter how much you've posted, what matters is how you post, and here's how you can find your guides and examples."

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Dear FlyersFan,

Thanks, that's a reasonable position and I'm glad you brought it up. But, please don't cast your vote quite yet.

what if someone gets 'Hall of Fame' status and then they start to have board issues? Fall from grace? That would be a problem. Never canonize anyone until they are dead and never 'Hall of Fame' someone until they are retired.

There are ways to deal with this problem, and a good reason not to go with the "Never canonize anyone until they are dead" approach.

First, it seems that some see extra significance in calling it a "Hall of Fame." Change it to whatever you'd like. Call it "Captain Billy's Whiz Bang Club," if the members and visitors know what it means.

This idea makes it easier on the Mods and gives them another option. If someone has board issues, which will happen as we are all Sons of Adam, be just a little patient. We all have off days. But, if it starts to look like he's undergoing a personality change and becoming a different person, you can add removal from "Captain Billy's Club" as another tool to tell him he's going the wrong way. How often is such a drastic personality change going to occur? Especially among people who have displayed exceptional kindness in the past.

Another way to deal with the "Fall from Grace" problem is to induct members with a one year membership. If they don't foul up, they're in next year's group. If they can't keep it decent they're out. I would think it would be a real honor to be able to put "Member, Captain Billy's Club 2014 - 2020." That's something I would brag about.

If we wait for for a member to become inactive, then new members who are looking for advice and counsel wouldn't have that person available to them. Further, what's the incentive to join Captain Billy's Club, if you will never know whether you won it, because you're not around any longer? You might as well not have a club that nobody is able to join.

I don't know if I've changed your vote, but I hope you're reconsidering.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: charles1952

You offer a sound argument for such a designation.

I look forward to a final determination.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Dear roadgravel,

It won't be a popularity contest because the members don't vote on anything. All it takes is one member to send a note to the Mods saying "I think so and so is a respectful, reasonable, and polite poster. He's been that way for quite a while." Then the Mods take over and make their decision. No popularity contest and it's decided by the Mods, not the opinion of the member.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: charles1952

What make you so sure a group of the mods can be biased in one direction or another. It still makes it highly dependent on a few people's opinion. But then most stuff in the world operates the same way. Heck, the president got the noble peace prize for getting elected.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: charles1952
a reply to: neformore

I wonder how much of a problem "D-ego" would be here. You can't get any higher on a list, the names could be alphabetical, it's an "in or out" sort of thing. Once you're on, there's nothing to compete for. There's nothing to "top," nothing to prove.

Indispensible? Well, maybe. I can see that being a factor if the poster has been around around for a dozen years, has a gazillion stars, and two gazillion flags, but does someone feel indispensable if their mini-profile has a "scholar" or "fighter" badge? I wouldn't think so.

You'd be wrong.

We don't name names because that's not the ATS way so I'm not going to give you an example or three (and - btw, anyone who feels the need to try and do so after reading this will be post banned) but when I said the staff had seen and experienced such things its because it has happened a lot.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join