It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Hall of Fame.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Dear kind sweet and compassionate Bassago.

I'm get'n a cavity Mcguire!

Ha I'm sure I have a (very) small container of my sweetness and compassion around here somewhere. Let me get my microscope out and go look for it.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Bassago

That's alright Bass, I even get my nerve out of a bottle.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarlinGrace
a reply to: charles1952

This is a great idea.. And no kidding you get the first spot. You are always respectful, right about the time I am losing my temper.

I'll second amen that! I have not once seen Charles lose his cool and seeing him post along side of you doing that while you just kind of lost yours... makes you want to do better.

I've been there. I catch myself getting snippy when replying to someone who has already gotten snippy instead of just letting it drop and move on. I'm a work in progress for sure, but Charles is one of the few I have never seen do that. He has popped up right after I have gotten short and I'm a bit ashamed/embarrassed that I did/do know better, even if sometimes I have a harder time actually doing better... If that makes sense.

Don't tell him I said that though.
I'm supposed to keep up my uber evil persona apparently.
edit on 7/31/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: spacedoubt
Funny stuff - spacedoubt
Had me scatching my noggin for a minute...
Good point - though.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Dear Kangaruex4Ewe,

My super secret, inside contacts slipped me a copy of your comments. Ha, HAH! But you haven't fooled me, this a misinformation operation to hide your uber evil persona and lull me into a false sense of security. (Thanks, anyway.)

But a serious question. Did I post this at the wrong time? I was hoping to see a little more from the Mods. Anyway, the idea's out there now and I hope it gets a following. I think we all get tired of being yelled at, insulted, and berated. Anything to slow that down is a big plus in my mind.

I do know, personally, of one woman member who told me that she just had to leave. She said she couldn't take the abuse. This was a poster I had come to know and respect, and I believe it was a loss to the community. She said her departure was permanent, but I suspect most of us have had to take a vacation from some of the craziness. I'd really like to try to fix that, even if it's only in a small way.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: WanDash

I really do think that everyone that takes their membership seriously here, is a hall-of-famer.
We contribute what we can, when we can. Respectful and meaningful dialog is it's own reward.

BTW, without my glasses, your avatar looks like the cover of "Eagles Greatest Hits" album cover.
Eagles

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   

edit on 31-7-2014 by charles1952 because: Irrelevant now.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 01:05 AM
link   
It's kind of you to still think of us as much more than...lunchmeat.
So -

The avatar is actually from a ToTo album cover - "ToTo Past to Present 1977-1990"
...found about 5 covers down this page.
I probably owned 3-5 vinyls & cassettes of the Eagles album you noted.
Just like the straight lines and esoteric symbolism on this one... Changed it up a bit, too.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Charles,
I really like the idea, too. I would love to be able to nominate some people. There have been some examples that, even if I disagreed with their opinion, have been such great posters to read for the reasonable, logical, and unruffled way they present their case time after time.

Your posts certainly fall in that category. Kanga (if you'll forgive my familiarity in shortening your name) and Marlin, both of you are also so enjoyable to read. For the way you post, your humor, and logic.

As someone who is usually more comfortable reading and a bit more hesitant to participate, I would love a way to nominate some of the people who make my time here reading so enjoyable.

Take care,
Cindi

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 01:07 AM
link   
As a member in good standing (I hope, hope) I'm calling for a conclave of elders, Mods, Admins and owners to address this issue. (Can I do that?)

Too Late! Let the conclave begin!

It's that or we keep sending alerts to try to bring attention to this suggestion.

FWIW this is a really good suggestion and I believe if TPTB on ATS ignore it then it's possibly to the detriment of the community.

[Note: I suggest no affiliation between "TPTB" and "TPTB on ATS."]

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: charles1952
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Dear Kangaruex4Ewe,

My super secret, inside contacts slipped me a copy of your comments. Ha, HAH! But you haven't fooled me, this a misinformation operation to hide your uber evil persona and lull me into a false sense of security. (Thanks, anyway.)

But a serious question. Did I post this at the wrong time? I was hoping to see a little more from the Mods. Anyway, the idea's out there now and I hope it gets a following. I think we all get tired of being yelled at, insulted, and berated. Anything to slow that down is a big plus in my mind.

I do know, personally, of one woman member who told me that she just had to leave. She said she couldn't take the abuse. This was a poster I had come to know and respect, and I believe it was a loss to the community. She said her departure was permanent, but I suspect most of us have had to take a vacation from some of the craziness. I'd really like to try to fix that, even if it's only in a small way.

With respect,
Charles1952

Damn it Jim! I told you not to say anything.

Sometimes the nights are a bit slower for mods to reply compared to the day, so you may have to wait until tomorrow morning for someone (who has the privileges to enact this) to weigh in. SO, Springer, and gang usually don't ignore serious discussions about the board and improvements suggested. They are always good about getting in touch with you on board or through PM. I'm as excited to see their opinion, as I know you are.

I hate to see folks leave here like your friend. I get used to seeing avatars and then they disappear. it's funny how we get used to each other so much so that we realize almost immediately when someone has gone MIA. That says a lot about those members IMO. It's a shame we lose any of them because of the actions of a few, but I can understand why they leave. One usually frequents boards like these because they enjoy the people and topics, so when the enjoyment is robbed out of it... Why bother coming back?

I hope they will seriously consider your idea as I do feel it could only be a positive thing.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Dear spacedoubt,

I really appreciate your explanation of what your post meant. I, unlike WanDash, was confused.

It may be just me, other's opinions may differ, but I'm not entirely sure I'm comfortable with your explanation.

Yes, "Respectful and meaningful dialog is it's own reward," for me and others. But we know some don't see it that way. Some see slashing brutality and abuse as it's own reward. I know that the solution is to alert the Mods, and there is nothing in my suggestion which would limit that.

But in addition to deleting posts which are obviously over the line, why not recognize people who have the other attitude of respect? It might encourage other members to improve their behavior, it might set an example to the new members, and it would encourage the Inductees into the Hall of Fame to keep their standards high.

I really do think that everyone that takes their membership seriously here, is a hall-of-famer.
To my old, crotchety ears, that sounds a little like a participation trophy. If almost all of the contestants are winners, what does winning mean? It should mean "These are the people who have achieved a difficult goal. They have done well, beyond what is normally seen. The performances have special meaning, they have been judged to be outstanding. That level of performance is worth striving for."

We contribute what we can, when we can.
That's true, of course. I'm suggesting that instead of just deleting the bad, we should lift up the good. It would tell the membership, from the staff, "This is what we mean by respectful and meaningful dialog. That's your example in action."

I'm not looking for any recognition in this, in fact, I suggest that I don't get put in the Hall of Fame, because I don't want to be accused of trying to puff myself up. But look at the posters in this thread. They can be your members. The Mods and staff know who the good ones are. Reward them. Tell the world that ATS officially thinks these posters are the models, the way to do it.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I think it's a Great idea and I really hope the Administration here acts faster than our own Congress and gets us an Answer.
Now with that said.
I've notice three of many members here that I have the utmost respect for and they always seem to reply with a form of Courtesy I could never Manage.
charles1952, Patience, Wisdom and a Drive To Understand. Kangaruex4Ewe, Kind, Not Confrontational and a Drive to Help. Last but not least, Bassago, Straight to the Point even if he doesn't agree but always wishes to leave as a friend.
Mrs. g

edit on 31-7-2014 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 02:03 AM
link   
a reply to: charles1952
You also have to consider that...there will be those that, at some point in time, after having attained such honor, fall from grace...and - - - -
We would almost need a Beheading ceremony (think - Aztecs, Incans...etc...) to scare the s**t out of any other HoF inductees, just to ensure a continuing flow of quality.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Beheading ceremony?
Just send them here.

edit on Ram73114v21201400000033 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I'm not sure how this would avoid being a popularity contest. Would it be rated only by nominations? In that case, there's an inevitable bias towards popularity over other members and since when was popularity a benchmark of honour?

Aside from that, honours could be rated by number of flags, number of posts or number of applause - combination of all? ATS already does that.

Another issue that crosses my mind is the meaning of Hall of Fame. Generally, a HoF is where the great and the good get final recognition when their time in the limelight has passed. In that light, a HoF would be looking to name the ATS names of days gone by - Aquarius1, JKRog and Cuthail sping to my mind.

Or would we be moving the definition of HoF to only include currently posting members? If so, wouldn't it be closer to being contributor/Member of the Week than a true Hall of Fame?

The above are only my thoughts and not intended as a staff policy or position.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Dear WanDash,

You're absolutely right. Thanks. I can always count on someone to stretch my thinking.

Wait a minute. Was it the Aztecs or the Incas that tore the beating heart out of the still living sacrifice? Now that would be a Youtube video. I wonder if it would be protected by the Supreme Court.

Do you think beheading is the best choice? Could we just tell them to go out and get stoned?

But, depending on how their status was displayed to the members, the Mods could delete him forever or for a limited term. Sort of like the bans they have now. A Hall of Famer getting X number of manners violations in such and such a time gets his heart ripped out (or something).

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   
The problem with a "hall of fame" is the online phenomenon known as the D-Ego.

People get carried away, and start to believe they are indespensible/untouchable/can do what they want because they sit at the top of a list and end up believing their own hype.

That can cause all kinds of problems, including flouting the T&C, being disrespectful to and/or receiving resentment from other members and the need to "top the last big one" which may lead to pushing the envelope too far in terms of subject matters and/or creating tenuous links, hoaxes and other such nonsense.

And yes, the staff here have seen all of that before, and had to deal with it.

There is also the case of new members feeling intimidated when faced with such a list, and potentially not feeling that they can contribute to the board.

Thats why we don't have a "hall of fame" per se, but you can seek out the most flagged/starred threads if you wish, and the current top threads are shown on the "top" page.

A good thread can come from anyone, be they old or new member alike. The best posts get the recognition they deserve already

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Dear Kandinsky,

Everything can change, but let me give you my current thought on it.

I see the nomination process as fairly simple. Either a member or a mod slips a U2U to the staff nominating a person. The Mods are swamped so they put them in a pile and look at them "first come, first served" whenever they can get around to it. Duplicate nominations are thrown away. When a nomination comes to the top of the pile, the Mods ask "Has he been here long enough so we have a feel for his work? Are there a lot of violations in his record? If we look at a couple of threads, does he comport himself well?" Whatever screening you want to use, and however long you want to take to find the people that exemplify the goal of respect and decorum.

Aside from that, honours could be rated by number of flags, number of posts or number of applause - combination of all? ATS already does that.
We've seen threads screaming about the racism of some group or another, or completely silly threads pile up dozens of flags. That's a popularity contest, or a measure of how many agree with the OP. Nothing about decorum. Number of posts doesn't address the subject either. I agree that applause can count, but there should be a bit more.

I agree with you completely about the problems raised by using the phrase Hall of Fame. Choose whatever you'd like as long as the members knew what it meant. But however the group is named, don't take people off after a week or so. They're on as long as their posts and threads can be found. That may require putting some names on a "retired" board. But let their memory survive.

I'm really grateful for your thoughts. I appreciate that you took time away from your other duties to jump in.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 03:08 AM
link   
a reply to: neformore

Dear neformore,

Wow! Thanks for being here. I'm impressed. You raise excellent points, let me try to deal with them.

I wonder how much of a problem "D-ego" would be here. You can't get any higher on a list, the names could be alphabetical, it's an "in or out" sort of thing. Once you're on, there's nothing to compete for. There's nothing to "top," nothing to prove.

Indispensible? Well, maybe. I can see that being a factor if the poster has been around around for a dozen years, has a gazillion stars, and two gazillion flags, but does someone feel indispensable if their mini-profile has a "scholar" or "fighter" badge? I wouldn't think so. Being labelled "a nice guy" wouldn't make anyone I know feel indispensable.

For the new members, I think it would be a big plus. All they would see would be a list of posters, or a badge, or signature block, which simply tells them "These are good guys. They're polite and patient. Consider learning from them." There wouldn't be anything about the number of posts or years of membership or anything that is intimidating. Simply a "We at ATS find that this poster is a decent guy."

Thats why we don't have a "hall of fame" per se, but you can seek out the most flagged/starred threads if you wish, and the current top threads are shown on the "top" page.

A good thread can come from anyone, be they old or new member alike. The best posts get the recognition they deserve already

And here, I'm afraid, I did not make myself clear. This is not about which threads are popular, flagged or starred. It is not about the quality of the thread or post. It is about the member. Which members are meeting and exceeding ATS' goal of civility and decorum. Which members are conducting themselves in an especially praiseworthy manner.

With respect,
Charles1952

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join