It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Hall of Fame.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Dear ATSers,

In searching BB&Q, I find that this idea is an elaboration of one discussed in the thread "Can I Give More Than a Flag?", by esteemed member Thecakeisalie.

In one of the recent (and innumerable) threads on the Israel - Palestine question, I ran across a member who was informed, persistent, and polite. I didn't agree with him, but that's meaningless. I posted that I would nominate him for the ATS Hall of Fame. He then sent me a U2U which, in essence, said WTF??

I replied with my own U2U, saying:

Dear XXXXXXX,

The ATS Hall of Fame is currently only in existence in my mind. It is something we should have for several reasons.

It would recognize posters who can politely work with other posters to find truth, or explain their opinion and point of view using reason.

It would also show new posters what the ideal is.

Finally, it would encourage existing posters to strive for membership in it.

It would have nothing whatever to do with stars and flags. Applause might be a factor, but it wouldn't be controlling.

If you don't want to nominate yourself, then I will. Congratulations.

Peace and Love,
Charles

In his response he said, basically, "Great idea, take it to the Mods or BB&Q. Keep pushing for it." So, I am.

With the recent emphasis on decorum (needed in my opinion) I suggest that such a Hall of Fame be established. Any member could nominate some one, but the final decision would be the Mods. There might be a rush at the beginning, but it would taper off fairly quickly, resulting in the smallest trifle of extra work.

The inductees could be listed on a page, or allowed to use something in their mini-profile, or anything else which might encourage members.

I know of several people I would nominate.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Flag from me as I think that is a great idea. Maybe those chosen could get an extra applause or two as well? There would be details that would have to be ironed out, but the gist is pretty good IMO. Folks could be nominated for any number of things from decorum, helpfulness, contributions, etc.

It may entail too much work for the mods as there are always those who will make a fuss about who was chosen, why they were chosen, why someone else wasn't chosen, and any other thing they could think of to stir up the stink. So that may be why they haven't already done something similar.

My opinion doesn't count for much, but I did want to throw it in at any rate. 'Cause that's just what I do.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I think it would be a great idea.

During my time on these boards I've taken the time to write the mods complimenting a couple of members and received a very positive response in return.

I agree with the concepts of manners and decorum, especially online in the modern age, and would like to see such behavior more publicly acknowledged and rewarded by the ATS community.

Good luck in your cause.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Drunkenparrot
I think it would be a great idea.

During my time on these boards I've taken the time to write the mods complimenting a couple of members and received a very positive response in return.

I agree with the concepts of manners and decorum, especially online in the modern age, and would like to see such behavior more publicly acknowledged and rewarded by the ATS community.

Good luck in your cause.

The mods are really good about that as I have done the same on more than a few occasions when I have witnessed something I thought might deserve an applause from them. I have even requested applause for the opposing standpoint because they made an exemplary case for themselves and their views.

I don't think a lot of members are aware that they can do the same if they see something worthy of extra attention on the positive side.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Charles,

You have helped me with several times that I needed good advice, and I value yours very much!

Best wishes in your current endeavor!

Gwynn

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Dear Kangaruex4Ewe,

It may entail too much work for the mods as there are always those who will make a fuss about who was chosen, why they were chosen, why someone else wasn't chosen, and any other thing they could think of to stir up the stink. So that may be why they haven't already done something similar.

Excellent point as usual, but I think we can get around it. First, the person has to be nominated. You'll never know if you were turned down or if no one nominated you. Second, just as the Mods refuse to discuss other posters, they could refuse to discuss their decisions. Third, the induction to the Hall of Fame doesn't have to occur instantly. They could do one or two a week to keep the load down.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Drunkenparrot

Dear Drunkenparrot,

Well done, that's very good.

What I would see changing is that more people would know about the compliments. They would see "decorum" in action. I would also expect that the decision would be made on the basis of someone's posting history, and not just a good thread or two.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: charles1952
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Dear Kangaruex4Ewe,

Excellent point as usual, but I think we can get around it. First, the person has to be nominated. You'll never know if you were turned down or if no one nominated you. Second, just as the Mods refuse to discuss other posters, they could refuse to discuss their decisions. Third, the induction to the Hall of Fame doesn't have to occur instantly. They could do one or two a week to keep the load down.

With respect,
Charles1952

That would definitely be the easiest way to do it.

It would give many something to work for. As much as folks deny liking a reward system as adults... I do think most like to feel appreciated, helpful, and just thought about/recognized for their effort. Something like this would possibly result in many striving to do better in their communication with others (more respectful) if nothing else.

I wish you luck in at least getting this topic some serious consideration if not getting it put into action in the near future!

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: charles1952

This is an excellent idea Charles and I whole heartily support it. In light of the recent decorum announcements from the Mods this seems more important than ever.

Just as we have "fighter" and "writer" acknowledgements giving a nod to those who display all of the best we see in the forums, politeness, clarity of thought and willingness to view all points of view seems an extremely good idea.

Acknowledging and extolling such points among the membership seems logical and progressive to me. I hope this is reviewed by the Mods and owners of ATS.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   

I know of several people I would nominate.

(Blushing) Awe, shucks!

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

Dear randyvs,

If I thought it would make you blush and feel self-conscious, I wouldn't have done it. Oh well, you'll survive somehow.

Your opinion's important, what do you think of it?

With respect,
Charles1952

P.s. I've sent a U2U to the Mods asking them to stop by. I'm really interested in their thoughts. - C -

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   

I don't see how it could hurt. And if it provides a platform for
jokers like myself to make an ass of themselves try'n to get a laugh?
Or even if more serious matters can gain noteriety ?

I'm in!

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   

This is a great idea.. And no kidding you get the first spot. You are always respectful, right about the time I am losing my temper.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarlinGrace

This is a great idea.. And no kidding you get the first spot. You are always respectful, right about the time I am losing my temper.

Amen to that brother.

I hereby nominate Charles1952 for the ATS Hall of Fame.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Bassago

Dear kind sweet and compassionate Bassago.

Did I hear you say

seems logical and progressive to me

I support this idea at least for the reason that you find it, (shhhhhh) progressive.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   
IMO. we already have this feature.
and it's Here

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Thanks for thinking of me, but I'm afraid that's only because I posted the OP.

There are many more qualified, beezer hops to mind and he has a longer track record. I can do with an "Honorable mention." But again, the idea would leave it up to the Mods.

Besides, TerryMcGuire refers to "Dear kind sweet and compassionate Bassago." Can you get a better recommendation than that?

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
a reply to: Bassago

Did I hear you say

seems logical and progressive to me

I support this idea at least for the reason that you find it, (shhhhhh) progressive.

Hee hee, I did say the "P" word but in my defense this seemed the first time I've actually seen an idea for which it applied.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: spacedoubt

Dear spacedoubt,

I'm confused. When I clicked on the link I was taken to a profile page which included Basic Stats. Is that what you are referring to? If so, which of the Basic Stats measures decorum or civility and where is it mentioned outside of the profile page?

Kangareux4Ewe wrote:

It would give many something to work for. As much as folks deny liking a reward system as adults... I do think most like to feel appreciated, helpful, and just thought about/recognized for their effort. Something like this would possibly result in many striving to do better in their communication with others (more respectful) if nothing else.

I was thinking of something visible to the other members.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

I'm get'n a cavity Mcguire!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join