It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope Francis sounds too much like Obama to be honored by Congress, Republican says

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
www.rawstory.com...

A bipartisan congressional resolution that would honor Pope Francis before his potential appearance in Philadelphia next year may not be acted upon because of Republican worries that the pontiff is perceived as being “too liberal,” The Hill reports.

House Resolution 440 aims to “congratulate Pope Francis on his election and recognize his inspirational statements and actions,” but according to one Republican backer of the legislation, the resolution is dead because Pope Francis is “sounding like Obama. [The pope] talks about equality — he actually used the term ‘trickle-down economics,’ which is politically charged.”

The conservative Rush Limbaugh base is as solid as can be but will it be enough to win election this midterm and in 16?
I would think that by rallying more people to the cause would be a smart strategy; but it looks like now the GOP is trying
to alienate Catholics by dissing the pope. The Republicans have already lost most women, minorities and now apparently Catholics.

Looks like an uphill climb for the Republicans.

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Yeah, all this talk of compassion, equality, respect and helping the poor... what a bunch of liberal hogwash!

LOL!

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
The term trickle-down economics was popularized during the Reagan administration...
Pope talks about equality? That is a reason to kill the bill, lol!

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
No mention of separation of church and state yet???

The Pope, isn't he the head of the Roman Catholic Church???

Why would any leftist support this?

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Yeah, all this talk of compassion, equality, respect and helping the poor... what a bunch of liberal hogwash!

LOL!

Since most of the money for those programs gets spent on administering the program by liberal appointees, it is hogwash.
All of those downtrodden poor are even far more poor since Obama has been in office, it is plain as day.

Keep pretending, after all, that is the way of the left.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

There are not any laws being written. Do you understand what "separation of church and state" means?

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   

There are not any laws being written. Do you understand what "separation of church and state" means?

What law is written in a public school???

I think I do actually understand....

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
do you honestly believe voting matters?

All congressmen are paid by generious donations for campaign funds.
And the money comes from corperations who have premptive intentions which the lobbied towards those that fund them.

That's just on the state, Congressional level.

When you talk about the people who print the money, Who actually fund these corperations when they require bail.
Then we start to get into some of the more demanding aspects of the *Government* through groups that are privately owned and operated.

The only time we sway incoming changes is when a large population begins a movement. Otherwise it breaks down into civil war. Electing new officials won't change anything. But have a vast population able to sway the oppinion is the only option. Unfortunately people have to take time off jobs to protest to even get results

Left or Right. Even for us in Canada we have conservatives and liberals. And our government is Lobbying for Britain.
All of our new bills have to be sent to a reprisentative of the Queen to be signed before they become official.
So that right there.... Isn't the US government kissing Fed bankers rearend?

Funny how they bring up the Obama empeachment in the media circut, And then compare the pope to Obama.
If that was their overall plan in the first place i'd say it was a pretty weak one.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Congratulating a person isn't making a law. It has no bearing on anything besides the Pope.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Congratulating a person isn't making a law. It has no bearing on anything besides the Pope.

Attending a public school isn't making a law either.
The left sees it that way when a kid says a prayer aloud though.... I guess?

You and BH feel free to tell me where you each draw the line of separation... ok?
edit on b000000312014-07-30T15:47:58-05:0003America/ChicagoWed, 30 Jul 2014 15:47:58 -0500300000014 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Never before have I seen a pope consistently harassed and labeled. All of the things that he is being demonized for are the very things that make someone a good Christian.

People tend to forget that Jesus was a dirty liberal hippie who fought back against the establishment.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Wouldn't they consider him to be a illegal?

How many more groups are the republicans going to alienate?
edit on 30-7-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

I'm not sure how you don't see the difference...

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   

LOL!

Well everybody knows Jesus was nothing but a dirty Communist.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

The Pope, isn't he the head of the Roman Catholic Church???

Why would any leftist support this?

If you read the resolution then you would know it doesn't conflict with the separation of church and state.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
December 11, 2013 Mr. Larson of Connecticut submitted the following resolution; which was
referred to the Committee on Foreign Affairs _______________________________________________________________________
RESOLUTION
Congratulating Pope Francis on his election and recognizing his
inspirational statements and actions.
Whereas on March 13, 2013, Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires, Argentina was elected Supreme Pontiff of the Catholic Church; Whereas his election marked the first time a Pope from the Americas has been selected;
Whereas he is the first Jesuit to become Supreme Pontiff of the Catholic Church;
Whereas he took the papal name of Francis, becoming the first pope to take the name of St. Francis of Assisi, who was known for his devotion to humility and the poor;
Whereas he has demonstrated his humility by choosing not to live in the lavish Apostolic Palace, living instead with the clergy and lay people in the Vatican guesthouse;
Whereas on March 28, 2013, he broke from tradition during the washing of feet, when he washed the feet of 12 criminals, including two women, becoming the first pope to include women in the rite;
Whereas on November 6, he displayed his charity by caressing a man with severe disfigurement, drawing comparisons to the actions of his namesake, St. Francis, whose kiss of a leper forever changed his life by solidifying his commitment to the poorest among us;
Whereas when asked to describe himself during an interview with a Jesuit magazine, he replied ``I am a sinner'';
Whereas his emphasis on humanitarian efforts to alleviate suffering serves as an inspiration to Congress and all Americans; Whereas his humility, his commitment to economic justice and improving the lives of the poor, and his outreach to individuals from all walks of life have been universally praised and are living examples of Jesus Christ's message; and Whereas his call to end inequality has echoed across the globe and brought millions together in solidarity:
Now, therefore, be it Resolved, That the House of Representatives congratulates Pope Francis on his election and recognizes his inspirational statements and actions.

If you really understood separation of church and state then you would know that only comes into play when there is a law being passed respecting the establishment of a religion. That isn't happening here because there is no law being passed.
edit on 30-7-2014 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I see nothing about separation of church and state in the article. Deflect much?

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010
You forgot tree-hugging hippie

The resolution had 221 cosponsors on both sides of the aisle. Anyone else thinking Congress has too much time on its hands? And is wasting our money on their salaries and benefits packages?

edit on 7/30/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Yeah buster forgot it, but I sure didn't in my post.

I, however, did not include the tree-hugging part.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Perception trumps reality every time in politics.

Just goes to show that republicans are just as spineless and pathetic as democrats.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

As much as I happen to like this pope, as well as the Dalai Lama and other peaceful religious leaders, I don't know if I want them to be honored by our government. And the Pope IS the leader of a foreign country so it's a bit different then just inviting someone like Reverend Billy Graham or something. I'd have to think about this but my initial gut reaction is not to have our government honor him.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join