It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Nation Canadians willing to lay down their lives to protect their land.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I looked around and didn't see this posted. I think it's in the right forum, mods feel free to move if not.

First nations prepared to lay down their lives for land rights.

Well, I for one don't blame these people. There is a drawn out and systemic genocide against Native and First Nation Canadians based on the land they are "forced" to live on and the socioeconomic situations which follow in those geographical regions. Aka reserves.

TORONTO -- Aboriginal people in Ontario are prepared to lay down their lives to protect their traditional lands from any unwanted development, a group of First Nations chiefs said Tuesday.

Five aboriginal chiefs served notice on the Ontario and federal governments, developers and the public that they'll assert their treaty rights over their traditional territory and ancestral lands.

That includes the rights to natural resources -- such as fish, trees, mines and water-- deriving benefit from those resources and the conditions under which other groups may access or use them, which must be consistent with their traditional laws, said Ontario Regional Chief Stan Beardy.

I know they, the bands, have also recently stated dislike over being forced to open up their finances to federal scrutiny as well.

Say what you will, but I have to agree with the statement about Harper recognizing the state of Israel over native treaty rights. Why dump money there but not in your own back yard?

That's my small take, what do you think ATS?

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Sparkymedic

I think it's awful what happens to the indigenous around the world. But that's what happens with central governments who tend to think the whole country is their sand box to exploit as they please - regardless of any agreements or treaties in the past. Those were just tools to pacify and control the people to get what they want then, and once their foot is in the door they will continue as they please.

Very bad, very sad. Hopefully they do follow through with their plan and make a difference.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   

I stand with my First Nation cousins to the North.

Much respect.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Honestly, I'd be impressed to see anybody at this point truly stand up for and lay down their lives for something they believed in. It's kind of rare these days, but I'm still hoping. If anyone can do it, perhaps they can?

edit on 30-7-2014 by queenofsheba because: cuz I said so

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: queenofsheba

Honestly, I'd be impressed to see anybody at this point truly stand up for and lay down their lives for something they believed in. It's kind of rare these days, but I'm still hoping. If anyone can do it, perhaps they can?

I get what you're saying and I assume you mean to fight for what is right. But I wouldn't go that far too say hardly any one seems to lay down for what they believe in these days. Ever hear of jihad?

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Good point, Sparky. Yes, of course I've heard of jihad. Who hasn't in this day in age? I don't necessarily see the exact similarity between their struggles and the Jihadists.

edit on 30-7-2014 by queenofsheba because: cuz I said so

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69

I stand with my First Nation cousins to the North.

Much respect.

I respect them too. But there has to be a middle road found that both the First Nations and the federal government can agree on.

On one hand, they should provide transparent financial documents based on money they are "given" by the federal government. But so should the federal government. Perhaps lead by example?

On the other hand, why "give" them money? Why not let them handle their land on their terms?

I have no answers other than to do away with the "system" as a whole. It is broken... And breaking everything else around it as it continues to break down further.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
First of all, First nations are not "forced" to live anywhere. Their education is paid, they pay no tax. What we did to them up to few decades ago was terrible and it is embarrassing. Currently big oil is trampling all over them just like big oil is trampling all over the entire globe. Natives have so much land (maintained by non native tax payers) that it is almost impossible to build a pipeline or tap an oil reserve without using Native land.

This isn't Canada's ambitions that cause problems for Natives, it is big business doing it and they have our government in their pocket. We are ALL getting drug through this.

Not trying to change the subject but this is why I have such a strong position against Israel. Why do they want to make the same mistakes we made and still cannot find a solution for.

I think the request to open the books is coming from something I too have noticed. A lot of rich chiefs and a lot of poor natives.
edit on 30-7-2014 by MALBOSIA because: add more

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: MALBOSIA
First of all, First nations are not "forced" to live anywhere. Their education is paid, they pay no tax. What we did to them up to few decades ago was terrible and it is embarrassing. Currently big oil is trampling all over them just like big oil is trampling all over the entire globe. Natives have so much land (maintained by non native tax payers) that it is almost impossible to build a pipeline or tap an oil reserve without using Native land.

This isn't Canada's ambitions that cause problems for Natives, it is big business doing it and they have our government in their pocket. We are ALL getting drug through this.

Not trying to change the subject but this is why I have such a strong position against Israel. Why do they want to make the same mistakes we made and still cannot find a solution for.

I think the request to open the books is coming from something I too have noticed. A lot of rich chiefs and a lot of poor natives.

I agree on all accounts. Well said.

And by "forced" to live on reserves, I mean it in the way that they reap more "rewards" of being native by living on reserve. Or at least are lead to believe as such. Most reserves are ghettos on serene plots of natural beauty which surrounds them.

22 people with 4 mattresses on a floor in one, one level home and a hole in the floor for fire to keep warm, and a few dead dogs in the corner, doesn't exactly spell "reward" to me. Just something I witnessed in my own experiences on reserve.

However, some truly are forced to be there. They may not see it like that themselves as it is their home. But in communities which are isolated to the level of fly in and out only, which in Canada there a quite a few. Its pretty much impossible to afford a flight out...or back in for someone who is unemployed living off government hand outs. Keep in mind the cost of living is dramatically higher (food and fuel) in isolated communities.

Sadly other government services are then abused. Air ambulance services come to mind (first hand experience) as they are abused to get patients with suspected health issues to better facilities, and only upon arrival they are feeling fine....tens of thousands of taxpayer dollars later.

Again, I don't exactly blame the individuals. But rather the system they have been forced to work within. Its broken, obviously.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: queenofsheba

Good point, Sparky. Yes, of course I've heard of jihad. Who hasn't in this day in age? I don't necessarily see the exact similarity between their struggles and the Jihadists.

Agreed. However I'm sure it is comparable to some degree. Resources and wealth likely play a significant part in both. But I have a feeling the Natives don't want to cause any harm as long as no harm comes their way. I can't say the same for jihadists, based on what I know and understand of their "fight".

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   

400 years of genocide.

You wonder why, now that the little scraps of what we gave them as a consolation price is at risk, that they would fight to the death for it??

I stand with the Aboriginals of this nation. They are more Canadian than any of us could ever aspire to be. Why we aren't marching hand in hand to Ottawa by the millions to demand change for them and ourselves is a mystery to me.

-Tenth

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

I could not agree more. I have a feeling the marching hand in hand with pitch forks to Ottawa doesn't happen because racism still runs rampant, and most immigrants in this nation (of which the majority live in the heavy hitter constituencies) have little to no clue that this is even an issue. They are just happy to assimilate to western culture to escape whatever crap pit they came from.

I hope the First Nations choose the peaceful approach. But I won't be mad, or surprised, if they need to do what they need to do.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

and I the south. Sadly, this doesn't only take place in canada, but all of North America. Both The US and Canada are guilty of the slaughter, washing, and outbreeding of the native cultures that once prospered on this great rock.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Not that I oppose natives enforcing their rights to their land, but just what makes a native more Canadian than me, or anyone of any other race for that matter? What an absurd statement. I've never known any other country. Exactly why can I 'never aspire to be' as Canadian as them? There was a time when their ancestors came from Asia just like mine came from Europe.

Natives are hardly as put upon as a lot of those in this thread seem to think. Sure, some native people find themselves in unfortunate situations, but so do a distressing number of other people.
edit on 7/30/2014 by Monger because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/30/2014 by Monger because: on my phone, sausagefingers

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

400 years of genocide.

You wonder why, now that the little scraps of what we gave them as a consolation price is at risk, that they would fight to the death for it??

I stand with the Aboriginals of this nation. They are more Canadian than any of us could ever aspire to be. Why we aren't marching hand in hand to Ottawa by the millions to demand change for them and ourselves is a mystery to me.

-Tenth

Ah...Tenth! We have common cause.....
From what I too have seen....I stand With them too......and you....

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Agreed 100%.
I also stand with our First Nations peoples.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Monger

I too was born in Canada of a mother that settled in Canada and of a father that had parents that came to Canada.

I say this from my own personal belief: Yes the Natives have Asian roots but the fact is they were the only ones here first. Along came the people from Europe who killed and took Natives into slavery and fed them liquor, gave them smallpox blankets - they did everything in their power to decimate and weaken the Natives. Only 60 years ago there was genocide - the Natives are still reeling form that and trying to crawl out of the pit that this country-wide issue created. If you read history, diaries of adventurers and settlers and read of the mind games and abuse by white people that came here - it was utter destruction. And it's still happening today.

As far as I'm concerned treaties were created with the intent to fool and to take advantage of the Natives who took the white people at their word. Some treaties are still incomplete, some never were made (mainly B.C.) and others were a joke. What I'm getting at is that nothing has been resolved - and if you heap all of the genocide/enabling of Native issues that people say is their fault then how are these people supposed to rise up and find healing, find their place in Canada (and U.S.)? They are still in shock.

Now that we have Natives that are educated and aware of the past abuse and feel they can rise to the challenge and create awareness for their fellow people NOW they are finding their footing and finding ways to become self empowered and self aware. And now they can see how they had the wool pulled over their eyes when these treaties were made. They can see what Harper is up to and they know they are now in a position to make a difference.

I do believe they are more Canadian than I am. They have past generations going back back thousands of years. I have only been a Canadian for 49 years. If that makes any sense.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ccseagull

It doesn't make a lick of sense to me. In fact, the very idea that what is essentially an accident of birth can make them 'more' entitled to live here than anybody else makes my blood boil a little bit. Maybe it's easier to have that sort of mentality when you come from a position of privilege yourself. I grew up well below the poverty line in Canada's poorest province. Not that I'm complaining, things worked out fairly well so far.

It's like me saying that I'm somehow more Irish than a the son of a Pakistani immigrant to Ireland because my ancestors lived there for thousands of years. It's not even remotely true, and it's borderline offensive.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Why get so angry? I am Native American and think you just as Canadian as I am.

It is not about the regular people, it is about the government trying to decide yet again..what is best for us.

Do you know how it feels to be a minority on your own land because of the past atrocities the government did?

They made promises and are attempting to break them...why should we allow this?

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Onslaught2996

Why get so angry? I am Native American and think you just as Canadian as I am.

It is not about the regular people, it is about the government trying to decide yet again..what is best for us.

Do you know how it feels to be a minority on your own land because of the past atrocities the government did?

They made promises and are attempting to break them...why should we allow this?

Please re-read my post, especially the bit at the beginning where I state very clearly that I don't oppose natives defending their rights.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join