It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unclassified NSA documents reveal attempts to decipher alien messages from space.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 02:34 AM
link   
What else is there to say? It looks heavily mathematical, too much for me, but maybe one of the bigger brains here can explain it in layman's terms. NSA Key To Extraterrestrial Messages docs,

source

Is this the smoking gun we've been looking for?

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 02:39 AM
link   
A: this one has been discussed a few times. On first perusal it LOOKS really exciting, but it's basically a hypothetical exercise. "this is how we WOULD go about it"
unless that's just what they WANT us to think ;o

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 02:53 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

No it's a technical exercise for code breakers.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 03:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

No it's a technical exercise for code breakers.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

So, it's like a puzzle then? Something fun for brainiacs and those who's brains like things like statistics and physicis and such?

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 03:27 AM
link   
No way am i going on the NSA website.

The fact they put this out publicly makes me think they are trying to come up with excuses for more research in cryptography to break the attempt of people resisting their governmental monitoring of the people collecting their data to be decrypted later on.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 03:49 AM
link   
ATS search needs an upgrade.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Wait,maybe not from wikileaks: This is a report of a presentation given to the NSA by Dr. Howard Campaigne regarding the decoding of extraterrestrial messages that had been received “form outer space”. Apparently, these messages had actually been received via the Sputnik Satellite, but no one had any idea how to decode them at the time.
At some time, unspecified in the document, Dr. Howard Campaigne and some other NSA super mathematicians in the crypto department had been given the task of decoding the messages. There were a total of 29 messages to be decoded—quite an undertak

The document, is Dr. Campaigne’s presentation to the NSA on the decoding of those messages. It was actually published by the NSA in their own internal NSA Journal. Yet, they were also forced to publish a list of search terms from Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests for which they had found no NSA documents. In that list is “Extraterrestrial Signals”. The title of this document, which they published themselves is “Key To Extraterrestrial Messages”.
Quite obviously, they conveniently split hairs here in reporting they had no information about“Extraterrestrial Signals”. They knew for sure they had this document, and that it was about what was being requested in the FOIA request. They knew it, flaunted the technicality of wording, and continued to stonewall.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Apparently, these messages had actually been received via the Sputnik Satellite

Sputnik was a transmitter of signals not a receiver , there were no extraterrestrial messages it was a cryptology test.

While these articles are not directly related to
any research on extraterrestrial existence or the like, they do show that the idea wasn’t
completely foreign to NSA Staff.
This material is presented here is to make it publicly available and to eliminate speculation and
controversy over the contents of these articles with such provocative titles.

www.cufon.org...

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Oh, this again...

I've often wondered since first hearing about this a few years ago here at ATS if...

The whole 'hypothetical exercise' story was just a smoke screen and that in fact it's real and they really needed help deciphering it. Hey, stranger things have happened in the real REAL world.

Isn't this what this site is about?

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Maybe they are trying to find someone to decode it so they can hire them. I doubt it is to communicate with aliens.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
You know, the person that DOES decode this, will disappear very quickly and quietly lol

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: HomerinNC
You know, the person that DOES decode this, will disappear very quickly and quietly lol

It's already decoded. The key was published decades ago, and is part of the FOIA release. If you read the first post very carefully, you will find a link to it.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
Wait,maybe not from wikileaks: This is a report of a presentation given to the NSA by Dr. Howard Campaigne regarding the decoding of extraterrestrial messages that had been received “form outer space”. Apparently, these messages had actually been received via the Sputnik Satellite, but no one had any idea how to decode them at the time.
At some time, unspecified in the document, Dr. Howard Campaigne and some other NSA super mathematicians in the crypto department had been given the task of decoding the messages. There were a total of 29 messages to be decoded—quite an undertak

The document, is Dr. Campaigne’s presentation to the NSA on the decoding of those messages. It was actually published by the NSA in their own internal NSA Journal. Yet, they were also forced to publish a list of search terms from Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests for which they had found no NSA documents. In that list is “Extraterrestrial Signals”. The title of this document, which they published themselves is “Key To Extraterrestrial Messages”.
Quite obviously, they conveniently split hairs here in reporting they had no information about“Extraterrestrial Signals”. They knew for sure they had this document, and that it was about what was being requested in the FOIA request. They knew it, flaunted the technicality of wording, and continued to stonewall.

WOW someone gave that a star
is it a case that alien believers on here NEVER check anything before they s&f talk about one born every minute.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   

I've often wondered if the SETI project actually recorded interesting signals and were then infultrated by NSA or some other three letter orginization and shut up by them. I'm just not sure we can trust the fact the SETI has not heard anything. I mean, they keep building bigger and better systems. Are they being supported and muzzled by the US government?

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: FurvusRexCaeli

I didnt read it, guilty LOL

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: continuousThunder
A: this one has been discussed a few times. On first perusal it LOOKS really exciting, but it's basically a hypothetical exercise. "this is how we WOULD go about it"
unless that's just what they WANT us to think ;o

Its actually a skills test for would-be codebreakers.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Galileo400

I've often wondered if the SETI project actually recorded interesting signals and were then infultrated by NSA or some other three letter orginization and shut up by them. I'm just not sure we can trust the fact the SETI has not heard anything. I mean, they keep building bigger and better systems. Are they being supported and muzzled by the US government?

Impossible because SETI goes on all over the world.

In order for any SETI signal to be confirmed SETI has to contact other observatories for follow up observations.

1) to rule out a problem with equipment at their observatory creating a false signal

2) to track the point in the sky the signal comes from after it sets at their site

Doing this makes it unlikely anyone could roll in MIB style and shut them down. There have even been times where SETI had contacted another observatory for followup and they've gotten calls from the New York Times or another paper but not been contacted by government agencies.

SETI is not a government program and has not been since the early 1990s. It's entirely a privately run thing in most of the world (though I believe the Italian government helps fund SETI there).

It's even done by amateur radio people. Good luck shutting those guys up.

As for SETI not hearing anything, this is not true. SETI hears things all the time which do not repeat. (Search threads I've created and you'll see some examples.) WIthout it repeating its impossible to narrow down whether it is coming from ET or your iPhone..

Also the search space SETI has been conducted in has been small. Look at the graph below:

Thats the amount of the radio spectrum and fraction of sky SETI has looked at since the beginning - but not 24/7/365.

Most SETI experiments have been done on an on/off basis over the years with only the SERENDIP experiment at Arecibo being one to last more than a decade continuously.

So not only has the amount of space and fraction of sky SETI searched been small but the amount of time devoted to it has been as well.

It's like going to a seashore, dipping a plastic bucket into the water and looking at it and deciding there are no fish in the ocean.

edit on 30-7-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

No that is a pretty bad cover. If they wanted help they would resort to paying off code breakers that are top in field. If that failed they would set the code out online anonymously not on the government website.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

Wow! Thanks Jade. I've seen some stories about SETI (Which I think is a really cool thing) but I had no idea it was all over the world. Lots of great info.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex I think when they said sputnik they didn't mean that individual satellite,sputnik 1, but another piece of the sputnik program. I believe sputnik 3 fits the bill nicely.

As to the statement about 'we are releasing this to clear up confusion because of provocative titles', they didn't release it on their own they were forced to by a judge, right?

edit on 3-8-2014 by abe froman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join