It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google and Novartis team up for contact lens to monitor diabetes - Forbes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   

The contact lens works by measuring the diabetic's blood sugar level using a tiny sensor to analyze tear drops. It utilizes new advances in miniaturization technology, such as on microchips and sensors.

Coming off its success on Google Glass, Google is moving into the medical market in a new field promising billions of dollars - monitoring and managing health with nanotechnology. For investors, it is apt to note that Google is moving into the medical field, a field that is traditionally very lucrative, a continued push into this field could potentially increase Google's revenues by a considerable amount.

Novartis chief executive Joe Jimenez added that technology as a whole, starting with smart eyewear, could be used to “manage human diseases”, and indicated that diseases will be mapped in the body using a range of other devices in the future – many of which are in development across universities and research laboratories.

Google will be getting an in with this new area of technology, and I'm sure that they will take it all the way home. Even with their contact lens line, assembled at secretive lab Google[x], the are already looking at a secondary use to help people with long-sighted vision digitally focus on certain areas of vision.

Source - Forbes

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

For more information about Google[x], the secretive design lab, check out this video below.

edit on 30amWed, 30 Jul 2014 00:29:12 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

Looks to me like Google and Novartis are seeing how lucrative the continuous glucose monitoring revenues are. Afterall, diabetes is going up by the millions(s) every year. I know of multiple diabetes treatments that can cure the illness in labratory studies, and none of them are approved by the FDA (yet). I do not think that this is a good sign. Industry doesn't want cures, they are not profitable enough.

I speak from the perspective of one who has had diabetes for quite a long time. I hope I live to see a cure approved. I suppose that will only happen if "they" decide it will be profitable enough...

My personal outlook is that I do not want to have a CPU that close to my brain, even if it is that small. I want them to test it on volunteers in medical studies, and watch what happens to the people that use it for 3-5 years. If the beta testers prove that it does not hurt them, and it works as good or better than current glucose monitoring (continuous) then I say it is great. I still never plan on getting one.

I think that for CGMS monitoring, the best right now is Dexcom. They could improve that tech as well, but it is the best that is out there IMHO. The best tech would always be a cure...

join