It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jury awards Ventura $1.8M in defamation case against 'American Sniper' estate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   

A jury has awarded former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura $1.8 million in his lawsuit against the estate of "American Sniper" author Chris Kyle.

The federal jury in St. Paul found Tuesday that the 2012 best-selling book libeled Ventura in describing a bar fight in California in 2006. Kyle wrote that he decked a man later identified as Ventura after the man allegedly said the Navy SEALs "deserve to lose a few."

Well, as many of us know this topic has sparked quit a few interesting debates on ATS. I have had my doubts about Kyle's "story" from the beginning and apparently there was enough doubt to lead the jury to their decision.

Legal experts said before the trial Ventura had to clear a high legal bar to win.

To the supporters of Kyle: Does this change your stance in any way? Do you still believe Kyle decked Ventura?

To Jessie Ventura: We know you're around here somewhere. Since the trail is over....care to chime in?

Link[edit by]edit on 7/29/2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I do not know enough about this story at all, however it would surprise me greatly to hear that Ventura actually talked bad about our military! The men who serve that is, not the actions of those sending them to war.

The jury apparently thought the same! I hope that now he can continue doing his part in bringing attention to conspiracies, whether he does it for entertainment or to actual expose corruption is of no difference, many people have discussed government corruption on levels they previously did not believe at all because of his show.
edit on America/ChicagoTuesdayAmerica/Chicago07America/Chicago731pmTuesday7 by elementalgrove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Honestly whether its true or not is one thing........

But considering the man is now deceased, I wouldnt punish his wife and kids for something he said.......

I dont feel good that this money is coming from them, I dont see how this serves anyone justice.........

People will say stupid things all the time........

I would feel horrible if my wife and children had to pay for something that I said or did of my own volition

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: sheepslayer247

Already posted, www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reposted to the other thread on this topic. Sorry OP
edit on 29-7-2014 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I just saw them arguing about him winning on Faux news and clearly those women didn't know what they were talking about. Widow or not this woman got her money from a husband telling lies to sell books and ruin another mans livelyhood, so why would anyone think that's ok to do without consequences? I'm sure as hell that they would be singing to high heaven for money if it was their husband getting lied about for profit. Jesse 1- mass murdering sniper 0

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
Honestly whether its true or not is one thing........

But considering the man is now deceased, I wouldnt punish his wife and kids for something he said.......

I dont feel good that this money is coming from them, I dont see how this serves anyone justice.........

People will say stupid things all the time........

I would feel horrible if my wife and children had to pay for something that I said or did of my own volition

What difference does it make. If it were before Kyle was dead, it's still "punishing his wife and children" it's just at least she could b*tch at Kyle. Dead or alive it really makes no difference to the law because the law is twisted anyway.

Personally, I didn't think much of Ventura to begin with, but then, I didn't think much of Kyle either. One of them is a blowhard and the other is a dead blowhard, yippee kie yeah, eh ;-)

Cheers - Dave
edit on 7/29.2014 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Thanks...didn't see that thread.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Kyle's wife and children still have made enough money off of it, and will probably continue to do so.

This whole thing started before Kyle's death, and since it damaged Jesse's reputation, it shoukd have continued as it did.

That's my point of vview, anyway.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Good.

Be careful what you say, especially in a book that becomes a bestseller and earns you a lot of money, because folks can come after that -- even after you are dead -- if you lie or slander.

But none of this matters. This is a con-theory site. If Kyle's estate prevailed it would have been proof of his heroic honesty. That Ventura prevailed can only be seen as evidence of a conspiracy by the same crowd.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s

Good.

Be careful what you say, especially in a book that becomes a bestseller and earns you a lot of money, because folks can come after that -- even after you are dead -- if you lie or slander.

But none of this matters. This is a con-theory site. If Kyle's estate prevailed it would have been proof of his heroic honesty. That Ventura prevailed can only be seen as evidence of a conspiracy by the same crowd.

Except that Kyle was not there to present his case.......or his testimony.......

And I dont say "Good" his wife and children did nothing , they werent there, they had no part in it.......

i dont understand how people say they stand for justice but blatantly over look things like this..........

As ive said before I have no idea if its true or not, honestly it didnt affect the way I think of either of them in any way because its none of my business......Im personally a huge fan of Jessies shows.....

But how can you say justice is served when the other party isnt even alive to defend their position.....

Truth be told you simply dont know.......none of us do except him and Ventura
edit on 7/29/2014 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   
dble fer ya
edit on 7/29/2014 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Jesse claimed that the incident was the source for the failure of his show. That will not hold up to the appeal process. The truth is that no matter if it happened or not the reason his show failed is due to the nature of conspiracy theory. Would cris kyle also be liable because conspiracy theories are not accepted in main stream. it is not hard too prove why hi show failed.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.
Thank you

-thread closed-

new topics

top topics

active topics

join