It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Troops told to refrain from eating, drinking in front of Muslims....WHAT?????

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: lonweld

How is the religion being forced on anyone?
That would only be the case if the commander was making them fast with them, far from what is happening.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Oh look soldiers where politely asked to remember that they are some muslim conscripts, and it might be a nice gesture towards them to try not to eat in front of them.

How terrible sharia law must be next!

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
[Ignore this, I misunderstood the OP]
edit on 29-7-2014 by Gorgoroth because: I misunderstood the OP, and gave an irelevant opinion. And I tried to defend it here.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
They were not TOLD to refrain from eating and drinking, they were ASKED. There's a huge difference. Of course, FOX puts it up as a "directive"...

“I’d like to encourage you to learn just a little more about this religion, but more importantly, I’m asking you to be considerate and do not consume food or drink in front of our Muslim colleagues; it is a simple, yet respectful action.”

Who gets pissed off because they are politely asked to be respectful? Oh, yeah... Muslim haters and FOX "news"...

Muslim haters? This is a US based entity....something of this nature should not have to be said at all. They are in the US so maybe, just maybe they should respect OUR traditions and understand that we don't care if they are fasting and we are eating in front of them.

what makes you think all Muslims are from other countries ?
i wear a shirt it says "Muslim & American" that's right i am a proud AMERICAN MUSLIM born and raise in Sacramento CA,.

your trying to make a Mountain out of mole hill with this thread .

whats the big deal with showing compassion and respect to someone who is fasting for Ramadan ? you wouldn't go and eat a big fat cheese burger in front of starving man would you ?

to be honest i don't that it would even effect a Muslim practicing Ramadan , to see someone eating or drinking...

so this is really not a big deal ... why are you trying to make it one ?

but while we are on the subject !

did you know walmart and target and a list of others i am sure accommodate Muslims during Ramadan ..

just saying !

peace

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
All fall down. Muslims choose to starve themselves all day for a month. If they don't like it that others are eating around them they can look away or leave.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Restricted
All fall down. Muslims choose to starve themselves all day for a month. If they don't like it that others are eating around them they can look away or leave.

what an ignorant statement.

i didn't see anything in the OP suggesting that Muslims were complaining about "people eating in front of them "

get real dude

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   

And my public American school only served fish on Friday.

It's only OK to respect certain beliefs, but not others?

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Man just read some of the comments on the op article. Varied from let's kill all the Muslims, this is all obamas fault, this is another form of Christian prosecution and a few sensible people in there that understood this is just a simple request and nothing more. Of course this being all obamas fault being the most popular.
Can't wait to see what billy has to say about this tonight.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
You can be asked to not offend Muslims in the US Armed Services but you are TOLD you cannot talk about your own religion or have a bible. Did they make sure to send out a message to make sure that during lent they should THINK about Fish on Fridays? How about be considerate of those who need to have a Passover meal? We need more equality not more division...

Also, who cares what news outlet it comes from. To not listen to a news clip based on the source is straight up ignorant.

edit on 07pm31pmf0000002014-07-29T15:57:25-05:000325 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
(SOrry, Double Post)

edit on 07pm31pmfu2014-07-29T15:56:35-05:000335 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

I was never told I couldn't talk about any religion or not carry a bible...
Actually in bootcamp i was given a pocket bible that i could carry with me at all times. No other religion had that privilege.
Have also seen the chow hall have food to carter to all religions and their needs.
And it does matter where the article comes from, especially when they flat out lie in the headline of the artilce

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   

This and the OP are an example of the failure of the American school system to teach even the smallest bit of common sense. However I will try and make things easier for you to understand.

Maybe you did not read the article, maybe you read it and just could not understand what you read. Either commenting on it was a mistake. No Muslims are complaining about people eating around them. Their is simply a suggestion that people do not out of common courtesly. You know like if somebody you knew gave up candy for lent you would out of courtesy not eat it in front of them. You do not have to do it but, as decent human being you would most likely avoid it. Or if you have a friend who is trying to quit smoking it would be nice of did not smoke in front of him. These are not things you have to do they are basic common courtesy. A concept than seems alien to both you and the OP.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I read stuff like this and despair for the people who have drunk the kool aid and just want to hate muslims.

Actually, this thread has nothing to do with muslims directly.

It has to do with the US army, which issued an editc suggesting that staff be sensitive to cultural differences.

The sensible and polite thing to do - as I have discussed with many of my co-workers and friends who happen to be muslim over the years (and only if you are so inclined because you feel guilty about eating infront of someone who is clearly not going to be eating for several hours)- is to ask if they mind you eating in front of them while they are fasting.

99.9% of them will say that they don't. In fact, 99.9% of them don't care what you do.

And its that simple. Its all about respect, understanding and good nature. No one is being forced to do it.
edit on 29/7/14 by neformore because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Walter Reed..redacted but set precedent. You cannot say it did not happen. Once precedent is set it will propagate. Sorry, I should have clarified my point a little bit better. Fact is that something like this should have NEVER been enacted in the first place especially when the current Admin finishes Ramadan telling us that we should accept Islam and how much it has done to build the US. WTF was this guy on 9/11?

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

So you are talking about one naval hospital? Hardly the entire military.
I agree that it should not have been enacte in the first place but it has been since redacted, so let it go.
Unless you have more examples of bases following the precedent set.

WTF was this guy on 9/11?

So we are just going to hold all muslim and people of islam responsible for 9/11? Just issue blind hate for something that happened 13 years ago? Shoot almost half the guys they said were part of it are still alive, so how do we know how accurate the rest of the list of 19 really was?
ETA:

when the current Admin finishes Ramadan telling us that we should accept Islam and how much it has done to build the US

Could you enlighten me on this one?
edit on thTue, 29 Jul 2014 18:17:13 -0500America/Chicago720141380 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I have 1 issue and 1 issue only with this..

Do it for 1 religion that has special standards at any time, you better do the same thing for every religion represented in the military during their particular time, other wise it is PC BS.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
And why not? Respecting the deeply held religious beliefs of the
people of the country we are occupying by NOT doing something
offensive is an easy task.

I hate religion, but Jesus said...do unto others...

I doubt we would like it much if the shoe was on the other foot.
ESPECIALLY if we perceived the occupation of our country
as being unjust...

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I would also like to know what context this is in. On Deployment, it is SOP to not eat or drink in front of LN's. While in their country, we must respect their religion, and I had no problem with it, and believe me, I'm no fan of Islam, but in this case it is the right thing to do. This guy isn't saying don't eat during Ramadan just like the Muslims, only that it would be intentionally insensitive, relax dude.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

I don't care if it is a national guard post in Idaho. NO military installation should attempt to prevent any religious belief from being practiced. It starts with one.

or how about VA Chaplains?

Link

or the Prez talking about his buddies he is financing overseas while he cuts military spending and houses illegals on military bases that could be used for our men and women...

Link

In a statement on the official website of The White House, Barack Obama made a statement for the occasion of Eid-al-Fitr, which is designated as the conclusion for the month of Ramadan:

“In the United States, Eid also reminds us of the many achievements and contributions of Muslim Americans to building the very fabric of our nation and strengthening the core of our democracy.”

Read more at www.inquisitr.com...

Building the Fabric?

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Are they on some sort of fast now?

....Speaking as someone who often has to fast for medical tests - watching others eat when I'm fasting more than hurts my feelings.

edit on 30/7/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

<< 1    3 >>

join