It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Troops told to refrain from eating, drinking in front of Muslims....WHAT?????

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Now this is just ridiculous.....taking it too far is an understatement. Sorry, but if you happen to be near my while I am eating my meal, turn your head if you don't want to see it.

Sick of everyone bowing down to whatever PC story is the next cause of hurting someone's feelings. Grow a backbone already......

Do not eat or drink in front of Muslims, and learn more about their religion.

That’s the directive that has gone out to active duty military personnel at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, a Department of Defense medical and graduate school in Bethesda, Md.

The brigade commander sent an email to military personnel at the facility last month – just before the start of Ramadan – advising them to show respect to Muslim colleagues.

“This is a period of great personal restraint and commitment in addition to renewed focus on worship,” Brigade Commander Col. Kevin Glasz wrote. “I’d like to encourage you to learn just a little more about this religion, but more importantly, I’m asking you to be considerate and do not consume food or drink in front of our Muslim colleagues; it is a simple, yet respectful action.

Source

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
What's tragic is they think the bulk of the troops need to be told this. Back in 2004 we were on patrol in Baghdad during Ramadan. If it was time to eat my guys swapped out seats in the HMMWV so it wasn't obvious.

I think there is a very discernable distinction between PC and common courtesy, at least there should be.

edit on 29-7-2014 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Now it is suggested.
Within a generation it may be enforced.

The world is sleepwalking to a dark place.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Another clear indication we need to get the heck out of there, period.

Let them ...... police themselves.

We'll go back 50 years from now and NOTHING will have changed for the betterment of them, as a people.

I dare say they would slip backwards as far as advancing as a civilaztion.

my 2 cents.... Prove me wrong.

link   

originally posted by: 200Plus
What's tragic is they think the bulk of the troops need to be told this. Back in 2004 we were on patrol in Baghdad during Ramadan. If it was time to eat my guys swapped out seats in the HMMWV so it wasn't obvious.

I think there is a very discernable distinction between PC and common courtesy, at least there should be.

Sure...if you are in their country then respect their traditions....that is common courtesy. This story is from Bethesda, MD....in the US. My thought is that if they don't want to see me eat, don't look.

link   

It is ridiculous because even the muslims themselves don't follow this!
I remember walking down the streets in Lebanon, Beirut during Ramadan, and you'd see the non-fasting people out there having coffee, smoking and eating.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
For every action their is a cause

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

yea, no, that is kowtowing. That is in no way being respectful of Muslims, it is simply being disrespectful of everyone else.

Shouldn't they be eating in certain areas anyway? Shouldn't Muslims be avoiding those areas on their own during the Holy month?

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I believe I'll have some bacon.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
The eating and drinking thing is downright foolish.

Learning more about their religion, however, is just plain smart.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
They were not TOLD to refrain from eating and drinking, they were ASKED. There's a huge difference. Of course, FOX puts it up as a "directive"...

“I’d like to encourage you to learn just a little more about this religion, but more importantly, I’m asking you to be considerate and do not consume food or drink in front of our Muslim colleagues; it is a simple, yet respectful action.”

Who gets pissed off because they are politely asked to be respectful? Oh, yeah... Muslim haters and FOX "news"...

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I work with a bunch of muslims. My company is owned by one (I'm in fact a minority as a white person here, it's kind of fun really). I still eat around them. No one says anything to me about it and I happen to be a rather well like guy around here too. This is just the usual military silliness that they are known for (if you don't know, join the military). There is a popular expression we liked to say while I was in the Army, "There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Army's way." This thread topic is a clear example of that.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I could understand a directive to troops stationed overseas in Islamic countries if tensions are high. But I don't get why this is going to troops in Maryland. As an Army veteran, that's not making sense to me.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
In today's society, being part of a "majority" (white, Christian, or male) earns you a lot of restrictions on what you can or cannot do, and if you fAll into all three you are screwed, because hey lets face it, you're scum [/sarcasm].

What is the difference between "not eating" and "fasting"? Perhaps I should make up rules concerning what not to do around me so I don't get offended... Think anyone will care? Nope because I'm in 2 of those 3 categories I listed earlier.

It almost seems like an INTENTIONAL attempt at starting a religious war. One side already feels slighted, now lets take away from the other one and get them mad at the first group.
edit on 29-7-2014 by lonweld because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
They were not TOLD to refrain from eating and drinking, they were ASKED. There's a huge difference. Of course, FOX puts it up as a "directive"...

“I’d like to encourage you to learn just a little more about this religion, but more importantly, I’m asking you to be considerate and do not consume food or drink in front of our Muslim colleagues; it is a simple, yet respectful action.”

Who gets pissed off because they are politely asked to be respectful? Oh, yeah... Muslim haters and FOX "news"...

Muslim haters? This is a US based entity....something of this nature should not have to be said at all. They are in the US so maybe, just maybe they should respect OUR traditions and understand that we don't care if they are fasting and we are eating in front of them.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
[Ignore this, I misinterpreted the OP]
edit on 29-7-2014 by Gorgoroth because: I misunderstood the OP, and gave an irelevant opinion.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Muslims don't poop either.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gorgoroth
There's nothing wrong with this order...

Other then forcing someone's religion onto others, you are right.

Gorgo, you should not post during the Muslim religious holiday. Would that be fair?

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Restricted
Muslims don't poop either.

You going to throw some more one liners that don't have anything to do with the topic?

As for the OP, as one poster already pointed out this is just a request, nothing more.
They can still in front of whoever they want the commander just put out a simple email.
It would be nice if he did this for all religions but I don't see proof that he doesn't.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
This is not about respect towards Muslims in general. Read the op. It's about the US soldiers that happen to be Muslim.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join