It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sola fide: Quick question to those who believe in salvation by faith alone

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: jmdewey60

It says, Law of works? No, but by law of faith.

Works? No. Faith? Yes.

And now this is the part where you explain that something else is meant besides what it actually says, that Paul didn't put in there because everyone back then already understood so he didn't have to write it down.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   
a reply to: BridgebyaFountain

And now this is the part where you explain that something else is meant besides what it actually says, . . .
"The law of faith", what does that mean?

You are saying that you choose to drop an inconvenient word (law) from the sentence if it does not fit your theory.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   
a reply to: jmdewey60

The law of faith is exactly what the NT says it is. I posted verses on the previous page. That's when you started giving me a lecture on how Paul meant more than what was written in the Bible itself, because everyone knew such-and-such back then and that's why it just wasn't written down in the Bible.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   
a reply to: BridgebyaFountain

I posted verses on the previous page.
So you are saying that you are perfectly happy with quoting a bunch of verses distributed from different letters and arranged in such a way, that devoid of context, it looks like it supports your theory that the Bible never actually spells out.

That's when you started giving me a lecture on how Paul meant more than what was written in the Bible itself . . .
By way of explanation, which is more than you have offered.

The law of faith is exactly what the NT says it is.
Which is what?
This is where interpretation comes in, and yes, that means saying words that are not in the Bible.
edit on 14-8-2014 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   
What is going on in these verse I quoted from Romans three
www.abovetopsecret.com...
is that Paul is blowing up the idea that righteousness can be something that you can display,
which was normally how it worked,
facilitated by having a written code that tells everyone what a righteous person should look like.

If you have a law of faith,
an internal thing that spiritually connects the believer with God to know what to do that would be right,
then that completely destroys the old system where you could just strut around looking right,
so everyone will be impressed by your appearance and honor you are as righteous,
based on that written description that you could fraudulently emulate.
edit on 14-8-2014 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join