It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Climate Change, huh? Well, let's recap this past week's extreme weather events

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
So you don't believe that the climate is changing due to global warming. Well, let's take a closer look. Just yesterday, there were two areas of the United States that experienced tornadoes where they very rarely do. In a suburb of Boston, just five miles from the city, they experienced a devastating tornado that wiped out two miles of city. How often do they experience tornadoes? Well, they haven't had one since record-keeping began. Denver saw three tornadoes yesterday as well.

Why did they experience these tornadoes and so late in the season? Because of the Arctic air that is being pulled so far south due to an out-of-whack jet stream (I'll get into the why of the jet stream later). This is very odd and rare for a cold front of this magnitude to dip this far south in late July. There is higher than average temperatures to the south of the front, so of course, they are clashing and bringing the extreme weather. But, that doesn't explain the freak storm that struck a beach in California the other day when one man died and 12 others were injured by none other than a single lightning bolt! Have you ever heard of such a thing? And in California of all places. They barely get rain, let alone a lightning storm.

Over the past couple of months alone, there have been freak hail storms (Japan, Spain), freak snow storms in June (Estonia, Russia and Scandinavia), record rainfall throughout the Upper Midwest of US, extreme heat waves in Japan, China, western Europe, Central Asia and Mexico, severe flooding in Alaska, record 24-hour rain fall totals in Georgia, Florida, and well...I could go on for a while, but you get the point. How can anyone deny that extreme weather events are happening in a freaky way, much more than usual?

I finished writing a book called Fever Rising a couple of months ago about the problem of methane gas releasing into the atmosphere at dangerous levels threatening our existence. After nearly two years of studying the issue and discussing it here at ATS, I decided it needed to be written. The book does feature quite a few of my debates here at ATS and some quotes from members with permissions of course. The book is finally completed and will be out soon, but after watching the news about the extreme weather events this week, especially the rare and deadly lightning strike in Cali, I wanted to share some of the book with you. I dedicate a full chapter to the extreme weather events and why this is happening, well, IMO anyways. Here is a part of that chapter that explains what is happening:

The extreme weather events have been picking up steam over the past few years, literally. It was hard for anyone to not take notice to the crazy winter weather patterns that struck the United States over the winter of 2013-14. November arrived and so did Old Man Winter, and it never relented for most of North America. The jet stream dipped far south over the country’s midsection bringing frigid cold temperatures as far south as Atlanta while causing much warmer than normal temperatures in Alaska. The pattern began and never looked back until the middle of March, when temperatures finally shot back up to balmy normal temperatures…right around freezing at 32 degrees.

The weather extremes are becoming the new normal, from super storms such as Sandy, to tropical tornadoes, snow in the desert, hurricane-force winds in the UK, heatwaves shattering records in the southern hemisphere, to freak hail storms that rain down ice boulders. Most parts of the world are experiencing some type of weather pattern that’s out of the ordinary.

I’m going to provide a brief summary of the why’s because I’ve gone into great detail on the causes of extreme weather in relation to the dangerous gas theory throughout this book. Here’s a recap, in brief, step-by-step.

The temperatures are increasing due to rising methane levels trapping the sun’s heat;
The rising temperature is causing the moisture content and storm energy to increase;
More moisture results in much heavier rain, snow and flooding events;
The rising temperature has also caused an escalation of volcanic activity;
Rising volcanic activity in Indonesia is causing the jet stream to fluctuate;
The jet stream is causing dangerously warm weather to increase over Arctic ice;
The jet stream has also pulled frigid Arctic air deep into southern climate zones;
These clashing warm and cold fronts are causing extreme storm events;
The warm air over Arctic ice is causing an alarming amount of land ice to melt;
This land ice melting off Greenland is bringing extreme weather to northern Europe.

Here is an article from January of 2013 that talks about the wild weather that was the year 2012. It was extreme throughout that year, the United States’ hottest year on record, and the severity of events continued to escalate throughout 2013.

Heat, flood or icy cold; extreme weather rages world wide
The New York Times, Jan. 10, 2013
By Sarah Lyall

WORCESTER, England — Britons may remember 2012 as the year the weather spun off its rails in a chaotic concoction of drought, deluge and flooding, but the unpredictability of it all turns out to have been all too predictable: Around the world, extreme has become the new commonplace.
Especially lately. China is enduring its coldest winter in nearly 30 years. Brazil is in the grip of a dreadful heat spell. Eastern Russia is so freezing — minus 50 degrees Fahrenheit, and counting — that the traffic lights recently stopped working in the city of Yakutsk.
Bush fires are raging across Australia, fueled by a record-shattering heat wave. Pakistan was inundated by unexpected flooding in September. A vicious storm bringing rain, snow and floods just struck the Middle East. And in the United States, scientists confirmed this week what people could have figured out simply by going outside: last year was the hottest since records began.
“Each year we have extreme weather, but it’s unusual to have so many extreme events around the world at once,” said Omar Baddour, chief of the data management applications division at the World Meteorological Organization, in Geneva. “The heat wave in Australia; the flooding in the U.K., and most recently the flooding and extensive snowstorm in the Middle East — it’s already a big year in terms of extreme weather calamity.”
Such events are increasing in intensity as well as frequency, Mr. Baddour said, a sign that climate change is not just about rising temperatures, but also about intense, unpleasant, anomalous weather of all kinds.

To be continued...

edit on 29-7-2014 by Rezlooper because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I must admit that the weather changes.
I am glad that it does.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Over the past two years, the U.K. has been battered by biblical rains producing floods. Three different times there were floods in the U.K. These floods followed the floods of 2007 and 2009. Since the MET Office (Great Britian’s weather service) began keeping records over 100 years ago, they declared 2012 the second wettest year and the single wettest year for England. Four of the five wettest years were in the last decade. This is a very disconcerting trend.
The flooding was so bad in some areas, a pub owner in Mevagissey, Cornwall, closed his business for good after he flooded 11 times in two months.

According to the NY Times article above, “The biggest change, said Charles Powell, a spokesman for the Met Office, is the frequency in Britain of “extreme weather events” — defined as rainfall reaching the top 1 percent of the average amount for that time of year. Fifty years ago, such episodes used to happen every 100 days; now they happen every 70 days, he said.”

Australia experienced two of their wettest years ever, as well. The heat extremes in Australia are epic, with extreme heat waves hammering the nation over the past few years. I previously mentioned how their weather service added two more colors to their temperature gauge. According to the Commonwealth Scientific and industrial Research Organization, every decade since the 1950’s has been hotter than the one before (in Australia).

As most of the United States suffered harsh winters, so has China. The jet stream fluctuation brought frigid Arctic air far south into warmer climate zones. The winter of 2012-13 was one of the worst in recent memory for China. According to the NY Times article, in the western region of Xinjiang, more than 1,000 houses collapsed under a relentless onslaught of snow, while in Inner Mongolia, 180,000 livestock froze to death. The cold has wreaked havoc with crops, sending the price of vegetables soaring.

In South America, it was relentless heat. Brazil had to ration electricity because of a heat wave and lack of rain. Rio de Janeiro broke a temperature record reaching to 110 degrees on December 26, 2012, the hottest day since records began in 1915.

Jerusalem experienced intense rain, cold winds, followed by an 8-inch snow storm, right there in the desert and palm trees. These weather patterns persisted all over the Middle East, hammering countries such as Jordan, with torrential rains and hail storms. The floods paralyzed cities and washed away cars and roads.

Smashing waves have also been the headlines from the U.K to Portugal all the way over to the Mediterranean shores of Beirut. Shorelines have been forever altered by the waves, sometimes as high as 60 feet, but averaging 30 feet.
According to the NY Times article above, “Barry Lynn, who runs a forecasting business and is a lecturer at the Hebrew University’s department of earth science, said a striking aspect of the whole thing was the severe and prolonged cold in the upper atmosphere, a big-picture shift that indicated the Atlantic Ocean was no longer having the moderating effect on weather in the Middle East and Europe that it has historically.”

This is because the jet stream reached so high into the Arctic Circle, bringing the normally warm ocean air that mitigates weather in Europe and the Middle East, up over Greenland. Instead of receiving that warm ocean air the Middle East is used to, they are getting much cooler air brought down from the northern regions.

“The intensity of the cold is unusual,” Mr. Lynn said. “It seems the weather is going to become more intense; there’s going to be more extremes.”

Many of you will remember that the spring of 2013 failed to arrive. Following the strange and intense weather patterns throughout the winter months, just when you thought spring would arrive, a little-known phenomenon by the name of the Greenland Block showed up. The block prevented spring from arriving and allowed winter to blast North America and Europe throughout the month of April. This was due to the high and low jet stream pattern which went way up above Greenland, pulling warm ocean temperatures from the Atlantic over the country. The blocking pattern resulted in massive amounts of land ice melt.

That's it for the part of the book. Hopefully, this helps. I know the debate will rage on and those who are skeptics will continue to come up with excuses, but the extreme weather events will continue to escalate and become much more difficult to ignore. Good luck everyone, and stay safe.

+11 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Weather is different than climate. And you can't just use a week of weather to prove global warming is causing anything.

It dropped 10 degrees between today's high and yesterday. Oh no, global cooling is back!

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

No, your just full of it ... global warming wise :-)

It's been nice wether here, but nothing really out of the ordinary ... usually people have a very short memory. Unfortunately for you, I'm not one of those. I remember over a decade ago, when the summers were all like this ... year after year.

Now, I'll do better for you ... just for you, because I'm your friend and want to educate you :-) (ok, I'm nasty ... can't help it, playing devils advocate is a catchy desease :-)

Where I live, it's a mostly northern type forrests. But, 5 thousand years ago ... it was actually a tropical forrest. Woo hoo ... it was warmer here, 5 thousands years ago.

I'll do better than that ...

Iceland, I'm born there see ... a thousand years ago, you could grow wheat there ... it's a fact. There are still remnants of wheat growing wildly, but never reaches the actual wheat harvesting point. Don't believe it, sorry the Glacier in greenland proves it. Thousand years ago, there was a 180 year warming period. And it's recorded in Icelandic annals ... woo hoo, it was warmer than then now.

So, you see ... it still hasn't reached the warming of thousand years ago. And we're far from the warming, 5000 years ago.

And I'll give you a theory, which is much more likely than your global warming theory as a result of human beings.

Human beings, have reached their current hight ... as a result of a global warming. That is, the global warming is not caused by men. But the advances made by man, is a direct consequence of the global warming that has given them better food sources. In such a way, that man has not acquired natural enemies to balance their advancement.

And if you look at glacier data for the past millions of years. You'll see that earth has had a much much warmer periods, than what we live today.

My point, instead of being so full of yourself and think of yourself as God. Try to focus on understanding, what is the "real" cause of the warming we are experiencing. My "guess" is that it's changes in the ocean currents ... and under water vulcanic activity.

edit on 29/7/2014 by bjarneorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Extreme weather threads does bring out the skeptics and eventually they will say "why didn't someone warn us"

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   

I don't prefer the term "Global Warming" ... I do prefer the terms climate change, or climate shift... not because I am any a "denier" of any sort, but because different areas are experiencing different things.

Here in Ohio for example, we're experiencing one of the coolest summers in our history.. the other day was the 4th coolest day on record for my area for this time of year.. 4 years ago in June it was 104+ degrees, this year at the same time it was in the mid to lower 70s.. we also had one of the coldest winters I can remember..

Climate change could result in a mini ice age for some regions.. while turning other currently habitable areas into dry, arid inhospitable deserts .. at the same time, current desert areas might become mild and more hospitable ..

Egypt, near the pyramids.. used to be lush and green..
edit on 7/29/2014 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Can we ignore this climate change thing and just agree we should probably stop pumping CO² into the atmosphere?

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Sorry ... your wrong.

Global Warming is no better than previous ideas of Earth being the center of the Universe. It's a Human obsession about looking at themselves as Gods. Instead of seeing reality, and noticing that we are a locust that has a favorable climate. We look at ourselves and say : "Look at me, I'm a God ... I've changed the Universe".

It's sorta "nutjob", if you ask me.

Yeah, we're lice on the earth that are sucking out it's blood. But the fact of the matter is, if the environment wasn't "fitting" for our existence, we wouldn't exist. Earth is not warmer, because we fart ... we fart, because the climate has warmed and we got more to eat.

You're looking at the facts upside down ... you're blinded by visions of grandeur.

edit on 29/7/2014 by bjarneorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   

I'm at work, so I'm not able to dig too far into all this right now. But a few things real quick.

1. I think you chose a poor title for your thread, a week is not representative of 4.5 billion years of climate.

2. Please explain exactly how temperatures lead to an increase in volcanic activity.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: bjarneorn

No, your just full of it ... global warming wise :-)

It's been nice wether here, but nothing really out of the ordinary ... usually people have a very short memory. Unfortunately for you, I'm not one of those. I remember over a decade ago, when the summers were all like this ... year after year.

Well therein lies the problem.. people who are experiencing nice weather are generally skeptical because they aren't experiencing the strangeness. I still stick with what I posted above, I tend to think of it as a climate shift/change than global warming since different areas are experiencing different things.. some are seeing their hottest temperatures in years, others are experiencing their mildest.. some are experiencing a rise in tornadoes..

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   

So you don't believe that the climate is changing due to global warming

No, I believe the climate changes and always will as it always has. I don't believe it is man made, but I believe it changes. I also think looking at one week of weather as proof of anything is idiotic.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArnoldNonymous
Weather is different than climate. And you can't just use a week of weather to prove global warming is causing anything.

It dropped 10 degrees between today's high and yesterday. Oh no, global cooling is back!

LOL, you didn't even read the full OP, did you? I use a whole lot more than one week.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Let's let Neil explain this... because he does so beautifully .. another problem we have is people are short sighted and confuse weather with climate.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: bjarneorn

I simply want to ask...do you think you could have survived that type of change, or that drastic a change? From tropics to Iceland?

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: bjarneorn

My point, instead of being so full of yourself and think of yourself as God. Try to focus on understanding, what is the "real" cause of the warming we are experiencing. My "guess" is that it's changes in the ocean currents ... and under water vulcanic activity.

Obviously, you don't know me and you haven't read my threads or this OP. I understand completely what's happening and the cause of it. Whether it's man made or not is not the argument here...it's the release of methane gas at extraordinary levels. You want to learn something instead of being so full of yourself...go read some of my dangerous gas threads.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

I'm at work, so I'm not able to dig too far into all this right now. But a few things real quick.

1. I think you chose a poor title for your thread, a week is not representative of 4.5 billion years of climate.

2. Please explain exactly how temperatures lead to an increase in volcanic activity.

You're right about the title, maybe I'll change that, but if you read the full OP, you'll see that I use a lot more than a week. It was this week that caught my attention with these tornadoes and that lightning strike in Cali.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
14 dead in japan due the extreme heat this year .. weather patterns been off the past few years now ..

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
For 4.5 Billion years, the earth has experienced "climate change". It has it's ups and downs, cooling and heating. To say there is something different now that humans are alive is just asinine. We don't affect te jet stream or cause hurricanes. The OP sounds a lot like Al Gore telling us the ice caps in the arctic will be melted by 2014......

m.youtube.com...

Even though they actually INCREASED
m.washingtonpost.com...

"IT'S WARMING!" "NO, wait, i mean it's cooling!" "IT'S CHANGING! OMG OH NO! WHAT WILL WE DO?!"

If course it's changing. What do you expect, with a sun, atmosphere, molten core effecting it?

edit on 29-7-2014 by lonweld because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-7-2014 by lonweld because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper
Over the past two years, the U.K. has been battered by biblical rains producing floods. Three different times there were floods in the U.K. These floods followed the floods of 2007 and 2009. Since the MET Office (Great Britian’s weather service) began keeping records over 100 years ago, they declared 2012 the second wettest year and the single wettest year for England. Four of the five wettest years were in the last decade. This is a very disconcerting trend.
The flooding was so bad in some areas, a pub owner in Mevagissey, Cornwall, closed his business for good after he flooded 11 times in two months.

UK always has torrential downpours this time of the year. I definitely remember these happening back in 1993/94 in Edinburgh on a Sunday afternoon when there was some bicycle race/marathon. Had to speed hours yomping from one newsagent to another to find a newspaper. These torrential downpours also happened between 2002 and 2009 when I was working at university. The water would just rocket off the gutters because there was so much coming down at one time. One local garage in Morningside nearly got flooded because the council couldn't be arsed cleaning the muck out of the drains before the rains came.

My guess is that the heatsink effect of our larger cities is concentrating the bands of rainstorm clouds into a narrow gap between London and Birmingham/Nottingham.
edit on 29-7-2014 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join