It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Evil Within

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Anyone else excited for this game? I've been a big Resident Evil fan, and this game seems extremely similar to the series. Well, mostly RE 4. I was still really young when I played the earlier RE's. I dont include the RE's after #4, because the series just went tumbling downhill after #4, and #4 was one of my favorite games of all time.

It also seems like there's a bit of Deadspace mixed in with The Evil Within, most notably, the Deadspace "stomp". If you're familiar with Deadspace, you know that "stomp".

Anyways, long story short, this game reminds me of the awesomeness of RE 4 with a small bit of Deadspace mixed in.

Here's a trailer from a few months ago. (Just an FYI - Yes, this game is very violent and bloody. You've been warned).

There was a gameplay demo at E3 also, but if anyone's heard of "Pewdiepie" (love him or hate him....i think he's hilarious), he had the chance to play a much extended version. He does do a bunch of commentary, so you may/may not like it when he's talking. He's got 3 parts on youtube so far.

edit on 29-7-2014 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 02:05 AM
link   
This is on my pirated priorities list!
Can not wait to play this in the dark with headphones on!

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Take my money already!

I am all over this like Ted Bundy in a women's hostel.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   
My friends and I dubbed it "Resident Evil meets The Last of Us"

Really the shooting mechanics look identical to last of us, and the logo for the game even looks similar!

Resident Evil 1 and 2 on the gamecube were so amazing... 4 had great gameplay but the storyline was stupid (there werent even zombies!) and the sequels had no scare factor...

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Looks more like characters from silent hill.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
i had this game preordered. picked it up today and an hour later i took it right back to the store. The black bars made it extremely hard play the game. 50" plasma on the ps4. i would see the popup for me to pick up an item but i couldn't see what i was picking up. Want to guess why? Yup the black box. It literally gave me a headache playing it for a little over an hour. Now i hear The Order 1886 is going to have this crap. I'm canceling my preorder for that one on friday. I understand why they did it but that doesn't it a good idea when i can't see half the # I'm suppose to see on my screen and i shouldn't be getting headaches playing a game on the ps4 and don't even get me started on those graphics. Seriously guys? you were making this game for how long and its a 40+ gig install and i get these graphics and black bars? No thank you. Horrible game imho.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: roaland

I was looking forward to this - what do you mean black bars?
I can't see they'd make a game and have some of it missing on the screen, sounds weird

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: stargatetravels

remember when widescreen first came out and half your screen had that black strip on top and bottom and it left your actual viewing area to about less then half of your actually tv size? yup thats what it is lol

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   

I get that (and some films and things still have those bars) but you're saying you couldn't see parts of the game because of the black bars - like items, unlocks etc.
That doesn't make sense because the game wouldn't get chopped off the screen, it would still be there right?

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: stargatetravels

theres the first part where you just cut yourself down and sneak over to where Mr chainsaw guy hangs around at to get the keys. Fast forward to the large room with a hallway that wraps around half of it with him side raging away trying to find you. I turned a corner and saw the popup X telling me to pick up this object. In order for me to actually see the bottle laying on the ground i had to aim the camera directly at the ground just to see this object, at which point chainsaw guy saw me and killed me. Also trying to sneak around outside that hallway while try see through the window to get an idea of where he was at because i couldn't see his shadow and the eye icon is pretty much useless because it doesn't give you enough time to react it might as well not even be there at all. but anyway that window, i couldn't see through that window because of those bars. Every time i stop up so i could see through that window chainsaw guy saw me, no matter where he was in the room, he would turn and run right at me and kill me. i understand its meant to be hard, got no issues with that. what i do have issues with is those damn black bars preventing me from seeing little things like a bottle laying on the ground or seeing through a window to see where the bad guy is so i can plan where to sneak to next. i found the game to have a good story, great idea for a plot, take away those damned black bars and make it full screen and I'll even forget about how horrible the game looks in parts on the ps4. highly disappointed. Been gaming since Castlevania simons quest came out and this was the only time i've ever taken a game back because i was that unhappy with it. when i play a game i shouldn't lose half my damn TV to #ing black bars either! horrible idea, whoever decided that should be part of the gameplay should be burned at the stake.
edit on 14-10-2014 by roaland because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: buni11687
I believe that this game is made by the same guy who originally made the resident evil game, it has a few reviews out today. So far its seems like a good survival horror game, and to tell the truth no survival horror game really impressed me since the original resident evil game and also silent hill and silent hill 3 which came out over 10 years ago now. There have been some alright survival horrors like you mentioned ie dead space, but even though it was a good game it never really had the awestruckness of the games which basically started the whole series.

But that I think is just because by now you know what to expect from these games by now. It seems cliche even the enemies seem like they have been done and redone before but if anything it may at least keep me busy till lords of the fallen comes out, or the games I am more looking forward to months from now. And like I said its made by the same guy who made the original resident evil, so its worth a play I suppose.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Are you saying there is no full screen toggle mode in this game?

I checked at bit online and it seems your right, you can minimize the black bars at the bottom and top of the screen but you cant get rid of them completely. I dont know why they made it like that, makes no sense, the only thing I can think of is that they wanted the game to feel and give of a movie like wide scene effect to the game. But really ya they should have added a full screen mode anyways. Anyways you can toggle it to full screen mode and minimize it, I do believe the first video in the OP is with the full screen on and the other videos are just normal, but yes you can see a difference and it is kind of annoying to have a cut on the screen always.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: galadofwarthethird

don't know about the PC version, but in the PS4 version, your stuck in losing half your viewing screen. i really wanted to like this game as i love horror games like this. They should of added a toggle like you suggested but this # is what they gave us. I'm highly disappointed, highly....The only saving grace in this is the guy at the store gave me a more then far price to exchange it for something else (alien isolation). but i really wanted to like this game, i just can't support it though...

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Well from what I seen in videos you can minimize it, but you cant get rid of it. However to tell the truth I never even noticed it and I seen plenty of videos on this game, but I never noticed it till you mentioned it in you post. Seems you can toggle full screen mode on and while it may not get rid of it, you will free up more screen room. For me at least if this game is interesting I suppose that is good enough, and if it keeps things interesting I will not even notice it after a while.

But anyways do as you will. However I heard that Aliens Isolation is kind of a lackluster game, from what all people are saying is that you spend more time opening doors with your little hack tool, and just hiding in corners, then anything else. In fact from what I heard the first half of the game is just that going from room to room and you dont even see the alien till later in the game. But hey to each there own, I suppose.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   

there was only one setting i could find when i got the game that adjusted anything and that just had two arrows pointed toward the left and right side of the screen and that didn't do anything to make it any better for me. no toggle option on the PS4 version, I'm willing to be proven wrong with a screen grab but i looked pretty damn hard because i wanted this game bad lol

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   
As always (well, atleast for the past year or 2), I waited for the reviews to come out for this game before deciding to buy it or not.

Going off of Metacritic reviews, it's averaging at a 76%. The highest are a 90 and high 80's. The lowest are a 50 to mid 60's. I also watched a few small name youtubers and watched some of the bigger name streamers talk about this game.

To sum up what I've read and watched - Those who really liked this compared it to Resident Evil 4. If you were a big fan of RE 4, you'll more than likely really like this game. It's a style/type of game that caters to only a certain group of gamers.

As for the black bars IMO - I hate them to. Yea they tried to make it look more "cinematic" or whatever with them, but they're way too annoying.

I dont know if this game is really worth the price of $60. 12-15 hours of gameplay sounds like a pretty decent amount of time for this kind of game, but I think I may wait until the price drops a bit. Of course I know I would have fun playing this game, but I just dont know if I want to drop that amount of money on a single player game that got the reviews that are out there.

ETA - Oh, and some of the zombies/monster things have guns and shoot at you.....and a humvee with a .50 cal on top. That's why I gave up on the RE series, well atleast after the second half of RE 5 I said im giving up. (Zombies with guns? That's just disappointing)
edit on 15-10-2014 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   
By bad dude. I was incorrect. I actually bought the game today, and yesterday when I looked on videos on it, I thought you could minimize the lines and the whole wideview. But that turned out to be just on the PC version, and it was just a resolution effect.

Now that I bought the game I know what your talking about. Its kind of annoying, and I would have preferred if they had a full screen toggle mode. I really dont know why they did not install that option. I believe like I said in my other post there trying to go for a whole movie cinematic effect, they even have an option in there were you can turn up the grainy effect to make it look more like an old drive through scary movie.

I mean its a cool bonus, and the widescreen and the grainy effect does make it look like your in a old school movie. But it does get in the way of gameplay, first its hard to see all around you that well, and since the screen is cut for widescreen mode it makes looking above you or down kind of annoying because you literally have to move the camera in the direction your looking at to see. So far I only got to chapter 3 but I hope I dont have any baddies jumping on me from above because you sort of always have to adjust the view to center it, and if you want to look around or above you, its kind of a pain to always hit the thumbstick up when playing the game and focusing on whats in front of you.

But saying that it does add to the realism of things, because in real life you would not be able to have such a clear view of things most of these games in the third person you would be able to basically see clear across the map sometimes, in this game since the camera is more closer to your character, and its wideview, well the game forces you to look around just in case you missed something somewhere or somebody is hiding in the corner of a building, basically like a third person/first person type of thing. But it does add to the whole effect I admit.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: buni11687
So far from what I played I would say its a good game. But its short at 15 hours, and that is if you explore and try to get everything you come across. I am not regretting that I bought it though, so far I like the game, and it does not start off slow. Literally from the very beginning your scrambling for you life and going WTF WTF were do I go, its a pretty tense game.

Oh and when people said ammo is scarce. They should have said you get like 4 bullets to kill 10 zombies or infected or whatever the hell those things are, your guns so far are pretty useless, because it would take at least a few shoots to drop even one of them, and after that your running away. In fact its a more stealth type approach game then a shoot em up. At one point I was running from 3 of those things in the forest level, and I wasted all my ammo and did not even drop one of them. At which point I think I wanted to throw my gun at them because it may be more effective then shooting them.

Oh and another thing, you cant kill them unless you burn the bodies after you drop them. I mean you could literally sneak up behind one of them and shank them in the head, they would drop dead. And a few moments latter they would just get up and start chasing you again. They implemented some matches system were you get matches to burn them, but you only have a limited amount of matches, so really once you run out, you can not kill anybody at all, and the only thing you can really do is to drop them and run away before they get back up, but they chase you everywhere once they see you. Because as sure as hell 5 bullets to kill off a whole hoard of them is not very helpful at all, and if you did not blow there head off they still get back up if you dont torch them.

ETA - Oh, and some of the zombies/monster things have guns and shoot at you.....and a humvee with a .50 cal on top. That's why I gave up on the RE series, well atleast after the second half of RE 5 I said im giving up. (Zombies with guns? That's just disappointing)

Man if they actually have zombies with guns in this game...I think that would be game over you would be at there mercy, in fact they made this game to try to be more realistic, you even have a stamina meeter, and it freaking drains after 30 something seconds of running. That means you cant even run away if you wanted to. They have an option to upgrade your stamina and everything else, but thats after you grab a whole bunch of the brain juice upgrade material.

The whole stamina lasting only 30 something seconds is a bit to much, I know if I was being chased by weird zombie creatures, I would run like the wind till my heart exploded, even if I was completely out of shape I could go for longer then 30 freaking seconds I mean WTF the guy your playing even looks like he is in good shape. Oh and the more injured you get the slower you get, once you health reaches a certain low, you cant even freaking run anymore, and if it gets any lower your hobbling around trying to escape whatever is after you which is not going to happen. Basically if you take to much damage its pretty much a death sentence, and it all goes down hill, even the heal up items are scarce and dont even heal you all that much, but they to can be upgraded as well.

In all I would say its a good game, but if you played the whole survival horror genre a whole lot it may be better to rent it or wait for a price drop. I however have not played any of these type of games in a long while, so I am enjoying it, for me I would say it was worth the $60, it even has a game plus mode after you beat the game, so it does have a bit of replayability. In all its a fun game, Its not something that has never been done before. Really I think one of the reasons I bought it is because Halloween is coming up and I have not had a good scare or thrill in a while, and so far I would say the game is really good but its not great.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 06:26 AM
link   

I find this game to be kinda hard 2 hours in lol I am getting killed by the chained up monster guy with the chainsaw with a fair degree of frequency. Did the game just wish the mechanics werent so wonky and that there was some type of lock on fetaure with who you are in combat with. Also # bear traps.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: illuminotreal

Oh man ya! I just got to that guy about 2 hours ago literally before I hoped on ATS, and killed him off with a torch arrow after I wasted a whole clip to no effect. It was pretty easy, but I killed off all the other baddies in that area and disarmed all the traps as well. Then I went back to the area were hes chained up, and after he broke free and started chasing me it was a freaking fumble. I tried to get him with the mine trap by the door were he is chained up, but apparently it does not detect him. I was running in circles trying to get him to go by it so it would blow him up while he was chasing me.

Its one aspect about these sort of games that is annoying, in games like gears of war, you could run and gun at the same time, take cover easily, switch weapons on the fly and a whole bunch of things in a matter of seconds and two button presses. In these sort of games, it feels like your a paraplegic and slipped on a banana peel and your wearing cooking mits while trying to grab you gun and turn around.

They make it like that on purpose to add more to the suspense of things, but dam, it is kind of annoying. But the game is not that hard all you have to do is sneak around a little and avoid any of the bigger guys unless you have to or after you cleared the area a little of any potential hazards.

Though to tell the truth a lock on feature would have been nice, the monsters in the game are not that fast, but it feels ridiculous to run, then take what feels like an eternity to just turn around and blast them. Then rinse and repeat till either you or him falls down. Its an entertaining game so far, but I think when Lords of the fallen comes out in a week and something from now, I will probably not be playing this game again and likely forget about it, but I will also likely beat it by then.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join