It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious signal from the center of the Perseus Cluster unexplained by known physics !

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

from the article:

After we submitted the paper, theoreticians came up with about 60 different dark matter types which could explain this line.

Ouch!

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
im starting to think that the universe is not quite the same through out as we assume it is.

I get the feeling that the rules are bent out of shape in certain places to what we know and exploring them using what we know about our own space, might tear us to shreds in others.

This is a fun new thing to read about, hopefully we can learn some new stuff

Also, 250 million light years away! holy heck thats far away!!!

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: stumason
a reply to: DigitalJesusWuang

Oh please..... Alex Jones? Give me a break... They guy has been against the LHC for years and has constantly parroted BS about it - such as Black Holes destroying us for example.

Now I know where you get your info from, I know you don't actually know what you're talking about.. How on earth you can tie the LHC to Global Warming in any way is a mystery.

you know why the lhc blackholes even if they could make them are harmless? they are so tiny that they evaporate before they can get bigger and become permanent. also in the upper atmosphere cosmic rays collide with nuclei by the countless trillions of trillions at higher energy than needed to create a black hole of this sort. thus there have been countless trillions of them created up there and we are still here.

but if LHC does create mini black holes it would allow us to study them and to try to figure out a way to contain, stabilize and use them for warp drives or garbage disposals or something. black hole event horizons attract negative matter (which could be used to power an alcubierre warp drive.) we could find a way to harvest it. or we could meter in matter and use the energy produced to power a reactor or propulsion engine.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I'm not convinced. Dark Matter is supposed to be more abundant than Baryonic Matter. Why would the best observed source of it be 250 million light years away? That's a heck of a long ways away. There could be anything between us and this cluster that could be distorting the light we see from it.

Until a scientist can pick up and show us a handful of black stuff that has strange gravity, then I won't believe it.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Broken magnets an excuse?
Linky

That is supposed to be straight... its what happens when a weld breaks and the magnet goes normal... it kinda shifts and moves around.
edit on 29-7-2014 by ErosA433 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: ErosA433

What do you think about this spectral line?

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
It is quite interesting, the strength of the signal is very low, it is really only visible really on a residual plot. Hard to say what it definitely is but quite easy to speculate what it is.

MY inclination is that it is a regular atomic shell process, though one done in unusual conditions. Such as it being related to AGN and accretion of mass. Dark matter could be a possibility though generally the energy for this signal is very very low, so if it was to be a dark matter annihilation event, it would suggest the rest mass of a dark matter particle to be a few 10's KeV, this doesn't seem to fit observations too well, but sure it could work.

Without being in that field I can do nothing but speculate.

What a previous poster doesn't understand is that if you can look at an object that represents more mass than what we can observe locally, you can sometimes hope that the signal density is higher than local. Galaxy clusters would be one such place to do this
edit on 29-7-2014 by ErosA433 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Nice to see a thread about real science. Hollow earth theory (groan).

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Parthin
Nice to see a thread about real science. Hollow earth theory (groan).

hahaha u get a +1 and a star for that.

hollow earth is a joke and make no sense, sure its fun for crazy sci-fi but its so completely unrealistic if you know anything about geology.

People think that the earth is really hollow? with lava pouring out of volcanoes? Get real. Would earthquakes bounce around like they do (seismic sonic echos) if there was a space in the center? No.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: ErosA433
It is quite interesting, the strength of the signal is very low, it is really only visible really on a residual plot. Hard to say what it definitely is but quite easy to speculate what it is.

MY inclination is that it is a regular atomic shell process, though one done in unusual conditions. Such as it being related to AGN and accretion of mass. Dark matter could be a possibility though generally the energy for this signal is very very low, so if it was to be a dark matter annihilation event,

I thought exotic dark matter wasn't supposed to interact electromagnetically. What sort of dark matter would annihilate into photons and/or cause a spectral line?

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: mbkennel

Well this is true, it isn't supposed to, but you can make models of dark matter in which annihilation with itself is the only process it undergoes other than gravitation. So it is electromagnetically decoupled. The key point is the density has to be low enough that we don't see many of these x-ray photons.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: IObject

I think we may be I.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join