It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Truth or fiction??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Could this be entirely true??

I think even if we manage to find the perfect source of energy - let's just say what if we succeeded with machines that directly feed off the ambient energy of the space-time continuum (never needs any fuel, recharging, generates power until the point of breakdown)....

...We would remain as destructive to the ecosystem as before or worse... With access to unlimited energy and with advent of AI (Artificial Intelligence). We would practically automate the destruction of our planet by machines that work nonstop, and can repair/replicate/reprogram themselves.

I believe the only solution we have is end our greed. Learn to be content! Stop buying things just because you can afford it!!

Is everyone worried that austerity measures could collapse the economy??

Is that all we worry about?? We worry more about our economy than the future welfare of our planet??

Is anyone here smart enough to realize that if we destroy our ecosystems, the economy will also collapse and quite frankly, a collapsing economy will be the least of our worries once we reach that stage!

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: johndeere2020

It is extreme hubris to think that we have removed ourselves from nature and the natural order. It is also hubris to think that we will destroy the earth. At most we will destroy ourselves. Life itself will continue albeit with a different cast of characters.

I'm not sure what people expect. When you encourage people that God is dead, there are a lot of people running around who have nothing more to live for than the day. Culture becomes nihilistic and hedonistic. Yes, the latest gadgets and stuff are all that matter because there IS nothing else and nothing greater. You can't destroy the concept of a greater being and deeper existence and then demand people stop being shallow.

You have basically created your own end.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The myth of God and dominionism are the problems, not the solution.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

The myth of God and dominionism are the problems, not the solution.

Live for today. What use is it to worry about tomorrow? There is nothing, so why shouldn't I do whatever I want to make myself feel good now?

That way lies endless selfish materialism.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
It's not truth OR fiction. It is a perspective with a certain degree of verisimilitude.
I think that the idea that we are a virus, or vermin is worth our consideration but not our belief.
I also think that the idea that we are the Crown of Creation(Thank you Jefferson Airplane) is worthy of our consideration, but again not our belief.
Actually, I pretty much hold to the idea that it is "belief " in ideas rather than our consideration of ideas that is causing a lot of our problems.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Live for today. What use is it to worry about tomorrow? There is nothing, so why shouldn't I do whatever I want to make myself feel good now?

That way lies endless selfish materialism.

If one holds to this idea about themselves, it can seem logical from the perspective of a belief system from which it comes, to believe that it holds true for others as well, when indeed, it may not.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

The second thread today that pins greed as the source of human misery. I'm glad to see that point has been picked upon. That single, natural impulse through any one of its constant, several avenues into human activities, is the cause of most human suffering, either self-imposed or received from the outside.

The solution to the problem of greed is a solid, spiritual practice that can lead to deep meditative states that provide illuminating insights into self and the Universe and which may eventually provide even enlightenment.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Well look at the water issues in various parts of the western US. Resource is used up so people will move - eventually.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Exactly, a belief in something greater than just oneself and this singular existence.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

It is extreme hubris to think that we have removed ourselves from nature and the natural order. It is also hubris to think that we will destroy the earth. At most we will destroy ourselves. Life itself will continue albeit with a different cast of characters.

I'm not sure what people expect. When you encourage people that God is dead, there are a lot of people running around who have nothing more to live for than the day. Culture becomes nihilistic and hedonistic. Yes, the latest gadgets and stuff are all that matter because there IS nothing else and nothing greater. You can't destroy the concept of a greater being and deeper existence and then demand people stop being shallow.

God is dead?!?

Isn't it the conservative evangelicals who deny climate change and Eco policy?

Isn't green peace and most environmentalists athiest/agnostic?

We have only improved with the decline of Bronze Age mythes as "truth".

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Hugo Weaving is one of my favorite actors of all time.
The cancerous element amoung humanity goes by many
names. The Elite, TPTB, The CFR and on and on and etc. etc.
They are undoubtedly THE WICKED.

So using the broad brush makes this fiction.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
...... It is also hubris to think that we will destroy the earth. At most we will destroy ourselves. Life itself will continue albeit with a different cast of characters.

We have the technology to essentially scorch the Earth. Remember the old school computer game scorched Earth?

No doubt.

That does not mean all of us are 'viruses'. Manifest destiny is not what people are about.
edit on 26-7-2014 by jrod because: a

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   

What "we" whiteman?

...How 'bout let's end corporate persons who are protected by law in their 'right' to put profits before people, the environment, ecosystems, animals and the planet....

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   
First, as a virus.

We were meant to Live with Nature, yet how many other forms of Life have Died; never to return? Yet, some among us having Better Values or raised without the Need of Things could enjoy say if the Elect went out, no more gas, and back to trading.

Second, Co-Existing.

It would seem every other creature on Earth does this. Some do have special powers like red ants, although most would kill them without thinking twice. There was a town in KS who later found out the lumber had Termites and many homes were now becoming food!

Yet an older couple allowing a few anthills in said yard had no problems! His whole block, more like 30 houses were infested! As they warned them over and over, said nope! Don't care for the Poisons, don't need them. My yard takes care of Itself.

Its funny how Science can come up with all this stuff and later have to go with the; Were Stumped! If they would have just left things alone as they were. Things might have been just fine. Yet we have GMO's if it kills said bugs, pests and the like. It might be killing us down the road later.

If said fish, birds, bee's, are having a bad time with this, it might come our way on the next swing. I just do not get how some claim this is not true. Even the rich powerful people will be bound by messing with Mother Nature.

This is Man's problem, science. Okay to create something, make a better place for us all. Truth is, Man is using science to discount God or be like one. And some are just Happy if things would go backwards before it's to late.

Peace

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Quite ! Materialism is just an instant " Fix " and does not bring long term happiness.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

Hugo Weaving is one of my favorite actors of all time.
The cancerous element amoung humanity goes by many
names. The Elite, TPTB, The CFR and on and on and etc. etc.
They are undoubtedly THE WICKED.

So using the broad brush makes this fiction.

Ironically, the more you spend, the wealthier and the more powerful the elite gets.

The more you depend on the system, the more powerful it gets. We all have played our part in their evil!

And in order for money to flow - so we'll have salaries so we can pay our bills, we have to consume, we have to buy...

....It's a vicious cycle...

If we are to survive for another thousand years, we all have to re think on how we conduct our businesses. We can no longer engineer plans for the "highest profit attainable". We must scale back. Reduce production, reduce profits. We must allow for austerity measures.

But I doubt it will happen because no company will tolerate less profits and no executives will settle for much reduced salaries.

I'm telling you guys, at our current ways of doing business and obsession with greed, we will hit rock bottom before we even consider changing. By then it will be too late to save our civilization. We would be reduced to anarchy and back to the stone age.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   

I'm telling you guys, at our current ways of doing business and obsession with greed, we will hit rock bottom before we even consider changing. By then it will be too late to save our civilization. We would be reduced to anarchy and back to the stone age.

The biggest secret the elite don't want us to know?
Is that we very simply do not need a currency.
A society where everything is free.
Is a truly free society.
I 've done a few threads on it.
SNF

edit on Ram72714v49201400000037 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 05:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

The biggest secret the elite don't want us to know?
Is that we very simply do not need a currency.
A society where everything is free.
Is a truly free society.
I 've done a few threads on it.
SNF

My thoughts as well.

But for that to happen, the rich will have to scale back a ton. Would be a little hard to attain since money is like a addictive substance. It would be war.

And realistically-speaking, we have to reduce our population in order for that to feasible (one baby policy for all). It will probably take a few centuries give or take.

If we could reduce our population to just a few hundred million, we'll have a lot of free land for each person.

We are not meant to reach several billion I think. It shows, our ecosystems could no longer sustain our population and places have become miserably crowded and polluted.

new topics

top topics

join