It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recent announcement regarding decorum

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Link to the announcement.

I hope that this announcement will do some good. I've seen other announcements like this in my years here - usually it calms some folks down for a while, sometimes it doesn't

I usually stay away from the political threads around here anyway. I know better than to go read what people are saying about Israel, I don't need the adrenaline. I don't think I've ever posted in a single 9/11 thread here.

Anyway, I liked the part about not telling people to not post here. I've been told that several times, even once today I saw it posted about someone else. Seems insane to overtly try to drive away conversation on a board that's meant for conversation doesn't it?

But the part I liked best of all in the announcement was the part about calling other people shills and claiming people are being paid to post here. I couldn't agree more.

I mean, as a paid shill for the Mainstream Archaeology Conspiracy Group, I really don't need the spotlight put on me like that. Besides, it doesn't matter. Everybody knows Archaeologists are paid a pittance. The huge, HUGE majority of them making under 50G's a year, how much do you really think they can afford to pay me?

Believe me, it's not what makes me post here.

Crap! I hope they don't read that last part!

Harte

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Harte
You sir have 33 million stars from 5 thousand posts, I for one will listen
LOL

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Oh no you don't:

Bwahahahaha.....

edit on 25-7-2014 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I see it as an edict to stifle individual opinion. ATS wants its members to practice strict political correctness.

Not everyone has the same opinion nor should ATS expect them to.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I applaud the warning and the wording.
I see the comment boards in newspapers of Hungary - an intelligent, European nation that gave the world the Rubik's cube, Vitamin C and the hydrogen bomb. But - don't I wish some manners and moderation would exist there on most days...

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Restricted
I see it as an edict to stifle individual opinion. ATS wants its members to practice strict political correctness.

Do you know the definition of decorum? Here's a hint. There are online dictionaries. What is asked is not only reasonable but it's what is asked of everyone when they register. DECORUM!

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   

I haven't found T&C nor political correctness stifling my opinion.

Maybe it's just me.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I can't help but think of that song from Good Burger, "We're All Dudes".

The chorus,

I'm a dude
he's a dude
she's a dude
we're all dudes, hey

Replace dude with shill!

For the record I am not accusing anyone of being a shill here, or suggesting anyone keep their opinions to themselves. I just thought a "paranoid" version of the song sounded silly in my head.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
You sir have 33 million stars from 5 thousand posts, I for one will listen
LOL

The Mainstream Archaeology Conspiracy Group gave me those over a three month period in lieu of payment.

See what I meant now?

Harte

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer
For the record I am not accusing anyone of being a shill here, or suggesting anyone keep their opinions to themselves.

And... he saves it!

Harte

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer
I can't help but think of that song from Good Burger, "We're All Dudes".

The chorus,

I'm a dude
he's a dude
she's a dude
we're all dudes, hey

Replace dude with shill!

For the record I am not accusing anyone of being a shill here, or suggesting anyone keep their opinions to themselves. I just thought a "paranoid" version of the song sounded silly in my head.

By Less Than Jake, one of my favorite bands.

edit on 25-7-2014 by Aldakoopa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

I haven't found T&C nor political correctness stifling my opinion.

Maybe it's just me.

Beezzer has an opinion?

Please...Say it ain't so! lol

Peace

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
We aren't allowed to call a spade a spade. I know damn well what decorum means.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   

We aren't allowed to call a spade a spade. I know damn well what decorum means.

That's personal. Nope. The T&C that you agreed to doesn't allow that.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

You can completely hold opinions that run counter to the mainstream and are not politically correct without treating others badly.

I ought to know. I hold a lot of very un-PC opinions.

It's about "speaking" to others on this forum the same way you would treat them if you were actually discussing the subject face to face. Do you loudly and rudely call a person a shill in open conversation? Basically, when you go to that level in your discussion, you are resorting to ad hominem which is just poor debate tactics. At that point you are neither addressing the topic nor actually attempting to honestly win the discussion through fair and honest means but through deception.

Ad hominem (Latin) means “against the man”. As the name suggests, it is a literary term that involves commenting on or against an opponent to undermine him instead of his arguments.

Arguers who are not familiar with the principles of making logical arguments commonly end up saying something that would draw the audience’s attention to the distasteful characteristics of the individual. Such people use this fallacy as a tool to deceive their audience. Making such a blatant personal comment against somebody makes it hard for people to believe it isn’t true. Typically, even the arguer himself believes that such personal traits or circumstances are not enough to dispose of an individual’s opinion or argument. However, if looked at rationally, such arguments even if true never provide a valid reason to disregard someone’s criticism.

As such, calling another poster names does nothing to advance true discussion of a topic.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Conflicting opinions and fake friendship are pretty much irrelevant to me. Be a jerk it feels great.
edit on 25-7-2014 by Fargoth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I too enjoy a good jerk, on occasion.

Harte

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 05:04 AM
link   

#$%^

Sapphire
edit on 3-1-2018 by Sapphire because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join