It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Geckos are "doing science" in space, and they are out of control.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: CallmeRaskolnikov

Eventually humans may inhabit space and will need to procreate. This is an unknown zone for us. If geckos are able to procreate and make viable offspring then it may be okay for humans to do the same.

If they had no offspring, or their offspring was horribly deformed then it would raise flags that procreating is not possible or safe in space.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: jrod

If this is truly a test to see if man can reproduce in space, why use reptiles as guinea pigs? We are mammals - why not use mice instead of geckos?

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod

Eventually humans may inhabit space and will need to procreate. This is an unknown zone for us. If geckos are able to procreate and make viable offspring then it may be okay for humans to do the same.

If they had no offspring, or their offspring was horribly deformed then it would raise flags that procreating is not possible or safe in space.

Humans will always need 1g, we are built to do everything in 1g, no g means bone loss, muscle loss, many other nasty things.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
It's probably the one with he English accent behind it all. I knew I couldn't trust him. Insurance. blah.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I hear they started trying to sell insurance?

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

What makes you think we haven't already with mice.

Geckos lay eggs so the embryo is easy to observe developing.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
There's probably monkies, dogs, cats......and people!! -going through space right now who started their journey long ago just so the effects could be studied. In many ways, it is fascinating, but in others it is sad. Cool that these gecks are breeding. I just wonder how they adapted to the gravity and what effects it has on them; How their behavior has changed, etc..
But yeah, lets hope they don't encounter something unknown and gain a super intelligence and come back to earth and eat us.

I'd like to know how they survive all that radiation or what effect it has on them.
edit on 25-7-2014 by Fylgje because: typo

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Expat888

how does one say "motherXing reptiles on the motherXing satellite!" in Russian?

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod

i mean i figured that much. that the experiment's goal is to study procreation of the geckos in a zero G environment. since sooner or later (publicly at least) we'll be up there en masse. space the final frontier. but, since the ship or capsule or whatever is for all intents and purposes sealed for protection from the outside elements. then it seems they are solely just looking at the breeding effects/consequences from the lack of gravity standpoint.

couldn't this be done on earth? and why specifically geckos out of all the available species out there they could have used? it makes me think that there must be some specific aspect of their genetics or makeup that is of unique interest to them. or perhaps geckos just hold up well under all the pressure of space travel so they lend better for the experiment. or maybe it's because us humans have reptilian genetics so in essence it's similar to studying ourselves in some way, shape or form. i dunno. but, it just feels like we're only getting 1/3 of the actual story/information here...

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Why don't they get a couple of astronauts to bump uglies to see the effects?

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   
seriously? all the way into page two and no one has asked for a link? no link posted? doesnt anyone want to read more then what an ats member can supposedly quote without backing up via link? i guess the comedic nature of the article has us all letting our guard down and failing to do the usual follow through of checking sources.

well dug it up myself here it is for anyone interested.

www.washingtonpost.com... ol/

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 02:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Clairaudience
Observing geckos mating in space has huge potential scientific implications.
From zero point energy to artificial intelligence, this experiment could have revolutionized the way we conduct science and our understanding of the universe. It is save to assume that this mission was boycotted by the US due to the dangerous nature of the experiment.

I am sure the US took control and is sending false data back.

The real data has led to warp travel technology and 0 calorie twinkies.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: boncho

Is your source The Washington Post ?

Just curious.

I always like to check out the original source.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thefarmer
Why don't they get a couple of astronauts to bump uglies to see the effects?

I could've swore that back in the 80's they sent a astronaut and his wife in to space to have sex, and they did, but I can't find anything about it. Maybe it didn't happen? IDK

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: pryingopen3rdeye
seriously? all the way into page two and no one has asked for a link? no link posted? doesnt anyone want to read more then what an ats member can supposedly quote without backing up via link? i guess the comedic nature of the article has us all letting our guard down and failing to do the usual follow through of checking sources.

well dug it up myself here it is for anyone interested.

Plenty of sources online, I mistakenly left the source out of the OP but there are others as well:

others...

en.itar-tass.com...

rbth.co.uk...

en.ria.ru...

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

I would venture to say they may be planning for human reproduction in space. It would be amazing if they could make an inhabitable craft that leaves the solar system, having the offspring actually be the individuals alive to witness it. The future is bright when you look up.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 02:16 AM
link   
there are three versions of the origin of the j-ws, all three reptiles from space crashed prison space aliens cloned them from snakes, or terramorphing invaders

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
The little guys are safe:

Now that a fiery death from the satellite re-entering Earth’s atmosphere has been avoided, the 12cm-long green beasts will be able to enjoy the rest of their flight performing before the camera. If the geckos produce any eggs, it is expected to take up to 40 days before any hatchlings emerge. The happy families are expected to parachute back to Earth in September.

Russia has regained control of a satellite carrying five randy geckos in a space-based sexual reproduction experiment

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
what you expect from reptiles to send in to space? reptoids ofcourse.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   
the geckos are safe:

www.space.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join