It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's largest flying aquatic insect found, and it's nasty lookin'

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: canucks555

Nope,

No touching!

Nope, crap now I'm gonna feel stuff crawling on me all night I know it.
Cat's gonna come up to me and I'm going to flip out and
Nope.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 01:07 AM
link   
They should rename it to Satan.
Because that's what that **** is.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Destinyone
a reply to: canucks555

We get those nasties in the N. Ga, Mountains. I used to collect the larva for our local science teacher for his classes.

Dobson Fly Larva

They are big suckers too...

Des

We've got 'em in southwestern Va Mountains, too. I used to catch and use the larval helgrammites for fishing bait - catfish love 'em.

The adult Dobson Flies used to fly around a mercury light we had in the yard when I was growing up. I saw a puppy go up to investigate one that was on the ground once, which got nailed on the nose with those pinchers, and I can't recall EVER hearing such a racket of puppy screaming until I went and got the thing off of him.

The ones we have here have a wingspan of about 5 or 6 inches, and look pretty formidable.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Time2Think
Mothra lives!

Did they ever get all the bug guts cleaned off of Tokyo after that explosion?

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: CellDamage420
Now that is a big one. Dobsonfly larvae make great fishing bait. We call them grampus down here in S.E. Ky. The adult males usually have the biggest jaws and are nearly unable to even bite as a result, it's the females and larvae that can really put a hurtin on ya.

Over here on the other side of Pine Mountain what we call a "grampus" is what they call a "hellbender" around the Mississippi - a really big-assed "spring lizard", a giant salamander that lives in the rivers.

Good eatin' if you ain't squeamish about what you eat, but hard as hell to kill once you've caught it.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join