It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inmate's execution takes nearly TWO HOURS!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   
The Wednesday afternoon execution of convicted murderer Joseph Rudolph Wood III took nearly two hours, confirming concerns that had been raised by his attorneys about a controversial drug used by the state of Arizona.

Wood remained alive at Arizona's state prison in Florence long enough for his public defenders to file an emergency motion for a stay of execution with the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, after the process began at 1:53 p.m. MST. The motion noted that Wood "has been gasping and snorting for more than an hour" after being injected with a lethal cocktail of drugs.

USA Today Article

According to the article, and an Arizona Republic reporter Michael Kiefer, who witnessed the execution, lines were run into each of Wood's arms. After Wood said his last words, he was unconscious by 1:57 p.m. At about 2:05, he started gasping, Kiefer said.

"I counted about 660 times he gasped," Kiefer said. "That petered out by 3:33. The death was called at 3:49."

"I just know it was not efficient. It took a long time," Kiefer said.

This is crazy! TWO hours? It's unnecessary when a bullet or hanging would be so much faster. The drugs they are giving these people aren't meant for this use. It takes A LOT for someone to overdose and they usually die from a synergistic effect from the drugs building up in their system and mixing certain types of drugs together.

I'm pro DP, as long as they are sure beyond any shadow of doubt the person is guilty of a heinous crime. But this? This is just not right...

edit on 23-7-2014 by lovebeck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Too bad he didn't suffer longer. Should has been 22 hours. Let him choke on his own vomit and go into convulsions. An eye for an eye!

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
The only question on my mind, how long did his victims suffer, does he still have victims that are suffering?
Play ball!

+14 more 
posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3u40r15m
Too bad he didn't suffer longer. Should has been 22 hours. Let him choke on his own vomit and go into convulsions. An eye for an eye!

That makes you no better than him!

Glad I dont live near you, I'd seriously be worried!

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

You have a funny outlook on this

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: lovebeck
It's because they have run out of the traditional formula for lethal injection.

Other companies were coming up with a solution but then when it was made public that those companies were supplying prisons with the stuff for lethal injections, those companies bowed out.

Since then they haven't come out with a better alternative and many people are suffering because of it. Part of me thinks, so what, they deserve to suffer. The other part of me thinks, death isn't punishment.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Just bring back the firing squad to all states. Much cheaper....as far as him suffering for two hours....well, how long did his victims and their families have to suffer?

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Wood was convicted of murdering his estranged girlfriend and her father twenty years ago! He lived twenty years longer than his victims, and family members had to deal with the loss of their loved ones for all these years. Two hours may sound like torture, but he made the decision to be God and take two lives. Why should anyone have sympathy for someone who didn't care less about the people he killed?

(post by mmali removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   
They just need a reason to bring about using the guillotine.

Now they have another one.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: knoledgeispower

I knew about the companies. I believe there was a company someplace in Europe that supplied it for a long time but then stopped supplying it. I'm on the fence. I get it, these are heinous, murderous, evil individuals. They should pay for their crimes but if they're not going to go back to using firing squads or hangings, they need to do a better job of picking their drugs! How about a huge bolus of Potassium Chloride I.V.?

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   

You said

You WANT him to suffer longer - for 22 hours.
You want him to choke on his own vomit.
You want him to have convulsions.

and you think that I have a "funny outlook".

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   

You said

You WANT him to suffer longer - for 22 hours.
You want him to choke on his own vomit.
You want him to have convulsions.

and you think that I have a "funny outlook".

Pfft that's nothin compared to what the family suffered.... All executions should be brought my way I'll do it right. Plus it would save a lot of money

link   
Why does this feel like deja vu?
I'm sure I heard about the same problem a couple of months or so ago.
Can't remember which state though...

crazy.

link   

This is what I don't get. Why not just put him under a massive dose of anesthesia and add an opiate overdose. Mission accomplished. Don't see why there is such a problem with this.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Prison officials are now scrambling to find a new lethal injection substitute and have been working closely with Micheal Jackson's doctor.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Bassago
Exactly..junkies od every day for christ sake..how hard can it be.
If society has decided to put people to death they better damn well do it efficiently or they are no better.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: lovebeck

This is crazy! TWO hours? It's unnecessary when a bullet or hanging would be so much faster.

Depends on the Crime, if he is guilty without a shadow of a doubt and did a violent crime like 1st degree murder or molested a child than perhaps 2 hours wasn't long enough.

They should send those drugs up to the Vatican and their child molesting clan.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bassago

This is what I don't get. Why not just put him under a massive dose of anesthesia and add an opiate overdose. Mission accomplished. Don't see why there is such a problem with this.

But then how could they justify the $millions they claim each execution costs if the local dealer can supply for the price of a few hits?
Got to make it look technical or people might ask questions.
edit on 23-7-2014 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
This execution should have been stopped, how did prison officials and the courts allow this to continue on for almost 2 hours?

This man may have commuted a heinous crime, but he has a right to be executed without cruel and unusual punishment. The fact that this execution lasted for almost 2 hours and witnessed saw him gasping for air over 600 times makes that cruel and unusual punishment in my eyes.

I also find it disgusting that prison officials are blatantly making false statements regarding James Woods gasping for air. I was just watching the Rachel Madden show and 2 witnesses to the execution (journalists I believe) made statements that he gasped for air over 600 times.

Another attorney for Wood, Dale A. Baich, witnessed the execution. He told the Los Angeles Times that during the 1 hour and 40 minutes that Wood was gasping and snorting, he could not tell whether Wood was conscious. “There was no sound in the witness room, so we could not hear,” Baich said.

A spokeswoman for the Arizona attorney general’s office, Stephanie Grisham, disputed that account. She said she witnessed the execution too and did not think Wood was gasping. “There was no gasping of air. There was snoring. He just laid there. It was quite peaceful,” Grisham said.

source

edit on 23-7-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: eta

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join