It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: Tenet Calls For Internet Security/Control

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 02:56 AM
link   
I have always loved the internet and free and easy access it present us to a range of diverse and worldwide current event and news sites/forums. This man Tenet is calling for a lock-down of the internet to be controlled by US government or security services and for access to the world Wide Web to be resticted for use by only persons the Government/Security Services deem responsible and a non-threat to security of the US. The internet works because of the open ended way it has been built and can be used, but this is cited in the below article as its main flaw and drawback to aid terrorists in their persuit of knowledge and ways to atttack.

www.washingtontimes.com
Former CIA Director George J. Tenet yesterday called for new security measures to guard against attacks on the United States that use the Internet, which he called "a potential Achilles' heel."

The way the Internet was built might be part of the problem, he said. Its open architecture allows Web surfing, but that openness makes the system vulnerable, Mr. Tenet said.

Access to networks like the World Wide Web might need to be limited to those who can show they take security seriously, he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

After reading this article posted by the Washington Times, Im now very worried that the internet may be locked down under government control, and as stated in the atricle, usage only allowed for those deemed responsible about security issues. Although this is the voice and opinion of only one man in the US administration, I feel that this is a bad sign for things to come if anyone agrees and lends credence to George Tenets argument.

[edit on 9-12-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Quotes from the article:

Access to networks like the World Wide Web might need to be limited to those who can show they take security seriously, he said.

The national press, including United Press International (UPI), were excluded from yesterday's event, at Mr. Tenet's request, organizers said.

This is serious stuff people. Tenet excludes the press from a conference where these chilling proposals are put forth. With this kind of leadership the future of the "free" world is bleak indeed.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 05:13 AM
link   
like to see them try it on webservers around the world.

The more i read about the more i see it as a fasist state in the making and it makes me shudder to think we are its closest allies.

The US 'people' are ok its the muppetts in power that scares me.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Sounds more like american control not "internet security" to me.

The net needs to be in the hands of an international body and not in the hands of ICAN or IANA as they are both practically american institutons (or corporation in the case of ICAN).

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Achillies hill ha. THat is the scariest thing ive heard today. I cannot see why the internet is "dangerous" It might be dangerous to dictators and authoritarian governemnts. Yes i see where their comming from the free and easy to express your thoughts and ideas instantly is a really dangerous thing. Give me a break. How bout we start making the newspapers state run, oh yea the news channels too, and how about the radio. We dont want anyone sharing ideas that might damage the governmnets power.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 09:19 AM
link   
What country can I move to that will have the freedom to access the Internet at-will in the future AND does not pressure its citizens into giving up their rights as a requisite of some ambiguous level of "security" that we are told must be attained at all costs?

What country will I best fit in, in light of my requirements of a country? I'm a Canadian citizen living in Texas and I am tired of reading these news stories. America is so close to what I want from a country, but its not close enough. Are we going to stand up for ourselves and take this government back from wherever the hell it has roamed?

I would like to add that CORPORATIONS REQUIRE the INTERNET for COMMERCE in AMERICA. Private citizens don't necessarily, unless they are SMALL BUSINESS OWNERS and OPERATORS. I don't see this flying.

Zip

EDIT: Of course, this also includes POTENTIAL small business owners, which, according to our laws and system of commerce, includes EVERYBODY.

[edit on 3-12-2004 by Zipdot]

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Quote: "The way the Internet was built might be part of the Problem, he said. Its Open Architecture allows Web Surfing".

This will NEVER Happen for the Very Reason that Tenent states -> the
IP ("Internet Protocol") "Data Packet" Structure/Technology is at the very Heart of not Just the WEB but also the Entire NET! It is designed to Treat all Data the Same no matter what the Contents & the Data was designed to be broken apart - Routed around in all different directions & then
re-assembled again! If a Nuclear Bomb were to Detonate in America the Internet would STILL FUNCTION! The Internet was VITAL/CRUCIAL in America's Response to & Recovery from the 9/11 attack. In addition the ISP Internetworking Companies are now offering Television & Telephone Service using this same Digital IP Technology - I doubt that they will let the Gov Threaten their Business (that�s what Lobbyists are for after all). No it is NOT the Internet that is a Threat to the America - it is LOSERS like Tenet who could not do their Jobs Properly Before & After 9/11 - Washington Bureaucracy that�s the Main Problem!!!

I see the Pattern - American "Leaders" are definitely heading towards FACISM!!!

[edit on 3-12-2004 by Seraphim_Serpente]

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
If this happens, good riddens. Buh-bye to ATS if so. Another way to gain control of the population!

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Isn't the Washington Times the one owned by the Moonies?

At any rate either Tenet, or the author of that article doesn't really understand how the internet works, or if they do, they are just messing with the heads of the Lusers who don't.

�OMG, The CIA is going to unplug the internet!�

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   
People understand that things that our government do become reality because we allowed them to do it, look what is going on in Ukraine the people of a country still have power over their government believe it or not.

But here in US we are allowing all these things to happen and we are just waiting for somebody to become our champion inaction is our enemy I bet that most of you are like me we don't even know who our local elected officials are, and obviously they are not doing their job to protect our rights the are kissing butt in the white house for their own political agendas.

Only the people as a group can take back the government and make them stop making decisions for things that we don't want.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   

How thats kind of funny considering many goverment websites have been hacked because the admins didnt take proper percautions. Look at how the Deceptive Duo managed to swipe many databases from the Department of Defense. And as for controlling the internet they may as well go jump in a freaking lake, the cat is out of the bag, it will never happen no matter how hard they try. We have the hardware, the software, and the skills to recreate smaller private networks at any time and completely bypass control structuces, so to hell with their pipe-dreams.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Oh goodie! I can't wait for this government router/censor to block all the bad speech out of my computer. I will be free & safe, like the internet users in Saudi Arabia, (former users in) Iran (Internet is now basically illegal there), China, Singapore and other great countries!

If he said this about ANYTHING else (newpapers, TV, radio, etc), he'd be seen for what he is, a FASCIST!

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by dubiousone
With this kind of leadership the future of the "free" world is bleak indeed.

Oh yea. Not surprised, but chilled anyway. ...We need to fight. Cuz this one's not going to go away people. The boys have been building their case for a while...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

A new Cochrane study argues the second of two reasons for controlling Internet access: Unfettered Internet access breeds crime � and illness.

....True, as alternateheaven says...

We have the hardware, the software, and the skills to recreate smaller private networks at any time and completely bypass control structuces, so to hell with their pipe-dreams.

...and there's always fidonet. So people will always be able to communicate and make their terrorist plans if that's what they're up to.

BUT this administration really doesn't give a flying rat's butt about terrorist communications. What they want to do is shut down access to scientific and medical information.

...There's a LOT of dirt on the NET, documented and verifiable, that can blow their agenda out of the water. That's what they want to close down. ...They had a lid on it, but the Open Access movement stood up to them head on.

NEWS: NIH Bypasses Need for Open Access Legislation
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The Bill for Open Access to publicly funded research failed to clear the Senate. Now, the NIH has bypassed the need for new legislation simply by adding a new clause to the standard agreement for grants and contracts - and making Open Access a condition for getting government funding through the NIH. No legislation is required.

So now the administration is moving on the whole system. They want their information and research confidential and protected - even if taxpayers paid for it.

Even if the USA blocks free InterNet access, terrorists will still communicate through private networks - BUT - the true, hidden agenda will be served.

Waaaahhhh.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I'm curious as to how people can still be supportive of this administration with things like this going on...

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   
The internet is now the the most powerful tool we have in front of us for information, take this away, will create what the powers that be, to feed us what is of interest only to the Gov/ or Wherever the the wind blows. At the same time calling for those that wish to protect our?/ their way of thinking, it will be allowed then to access this forum,( the net) get real, as absurd as it may seem, its a smoke screen for the aganda we can't contol. A last attempt to oversee what they wish for us to realize. Its a security thing I guess. I'm feeling better now.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
If you take away the internet and control the media from within, we will be incommunicado and vulnerable as what our government is doing to our nation. Or individual citizens.

Littler by littler people will disappear and with no news or communication we will not be able to find out until is to late and all in the name of "war on Terror"

But we have seen it coming, first with the patriot act and now with a second one banning news gatherings in the internet.

[edit on 3-12-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Wake up- Its Bush control. Its control of our ways to get information.

It is what the Bush administration wants, wether its something said by Tenet or whoever. They want us incomunicado.

Keep supporting it all. I'll tell you where we end up.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Yes Marg, starting with this site..... to many smart people here for their comfort zone....

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Undoubtably this is cause for great concern, but I am seeing a few red flags that lead me to hesitate to take the validity of this news report at face value.

The Article is Written By: Shaun Waterman - UNITED PRESS INTERNATIONAL

Yet we find in the final paragraph:

The national press, including United Press International (UPI), were excluded from yesterday's event, at Mr. Tenet's request, organizers said.

So is this report even first hand? The UPI was excluded from the event and the UPI is reporting? I also would like to know exactly what was "the event" and who were the "organizers" referred to. Additionally one must note that the most upsetting infomation being commented on here is glaringly lacking in quotation marks in the article. This IS significant grounds for mistrust of the report.

As for jumping the gun over the Bush Administration and their evil intent, exactly what capacity is Tenet speaking in. He is identified as "Former CIA Director George J. Tenet". Not exactly an official statement from the administration if you ask me.

Regardless of all the above, with the exception of the one grossly offensive remark quoted above as not being quoted, he also has raised some very valid concerns and suggestions.

The former CIA director said telecommunications -- and specifically the Internet -- are a back door through which terrorists and other enemies of the United States could attack the country, even though great strides have been made in securing the physical infrastructure.
The Internet "represents a potential Achilles' heel for our financial stability and physical security if the networks we are creating are not protected," Mr. Tenet said.

Mr. Tenet, who retired in July as director of the CIA after seven years, warned that al Qaeda remains a sophisticated group, even though its first-tier leadership largely has been destroyed.
It is "undoubtedly mapping vulnerabilities and weaknesses in our telecommunications networks," he said.

What I see is an expression of concern for the infrastructure itself, as being extremely vulnerable just as our power grids and any forms of communication we rely on heavily today. I do not see Tenet speaking in any official capacity. It appears he was merely at a private affair expressing a personal opinion.

Seems we need to find some additional information to clarify exactly what went on here before letting our fears rush us to judgement on this one.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Tenant is an Idiot The government knows if they tried to Censor and especially take away Internet access there are enough of us there would be revolt.I think this is one reason why Tenate no longer heads the CIA VERY foolish STUPID things are said by out going secretaries AND Directors :note Tommy Thompson basicly telling the terrorists that they were STUPID for not hitting our food supplies.BTW I DO support the President and MOST of his Policy`s but I think limiting Internet access to the ELITE would be the Biggest worst mistake ever made P.S I dont think it will Happen Big BIZ will never have it without Internet why have a Computer Intel and DELL would be having a cow our Economy would CRASH Like I said Tenate is an Idiot.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join