It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top ebola doctor has contracted the ebola virus

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: chasingbrahman

Hopefully it is not mutating and getting far stronger and worse, with the healthcare workers getting sick now.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Well that is sad, but how he contracted it is very important, as is how did the three nurses contract it.
That's very scary if professionals cannot protect themselves
That being said, it could be as simple as a direct transfer from a mosquito

X

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I guess I'm the only one who finds this a bit funny. The leading doctor getting infected by the same disease he's trying to prevent.... Really? No one finds that a bit humorous? To me, it shows the level of incompetence at these medical facilities, as well as ourselves when dealing with things that by now, we should have a handle on.

edit
In response to people calling these doctors angels.... It's science, not miracle. The fact that this even happened, proves God is no where to be found amongst mans dealings with disease. I'll admit there are a lot of good people in the medical field, but just as many bad people praying on the ignorance and naivety of a desperate society.
edit on 23-7-2014 by Aedaeum because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-7-2014 by Aedaeum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aedaeum
I guess I'm the only one who finds this a bit funny. The leading doctor getting infected by the same disease he's trying to prevent.... Really? No one finds that a bit humorous? To me, it shows the level of incompetence at these medical facilities, as well as ourselves when dealing with things that by now, we should have a handle on.

edit
In response to people calling these doctors angels.... It's science, not miracle. The fact that this even happened, proves God is no where to be found amongst mans dealings with disease. I'll admit there are a lot of good people in the medical field, but just as many bad people praying on the ignorance and naivety of a desperate society.

I am betting most people posting in this thread have a thing called empathy. It seems many people today are lacking it and find humor in misery and death. It is also why so many people are so messed up in the head they can never build a life of any meaning.

You finding this funny is more a reflection of your mind rather then a reflection of others. Think about it......Nah I know anybody finding humor in this is not going to self reflect even for a second. Your parents = FAIL.
edit on 23-7-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

You do realize that the average death per second in the world is 2 (1.8 to be exact), right? So in 1 minute, ~120 have potentially died in the world. Should I spend every minute of every day mourning the loss of people in the world? Instead of focusing on the death, I'd rather focus on the connections of tragedy and why they happen. Feeling sorry, helps no one and moves nothing. The only people who benefit from grieving are those who loved the ones who died.

I guess the adage "Laughter is the best medicine" falls on deaf ears here, or blind eyes as the case may be. If I empathized with the suffering of the whole world, I would never see straight. This world is nothing but suffering, including that which often goes unnoticed and unsaid. I hope people will eventually realize that it's not about the death, but about the life.

I love how you judge me instantly. Seems as though you would rather cry then solve problems. I feel sorry for you, is that empathetic enough?

In regards to the topic, like I mentioned, I prefer to make valid connections as to why this kind of nonsense is happening, rather then dwelling on the repercussions, or in this case collateral damage. It's far more beneficial to increase in knowledge, then increase in blood pressure.

Also, one last thing. I hope you're not a parent, because you can't teach empathy. Sociopaths are born, not taught.
edit on 24-7-2014 by Aedaeum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   
The fact that three of his nurses and now the Dr himself has contracted it shows some type of major accident mustve happend in the facility. Seems strange all of a sudden four staff members get ebola so close together.

With the nurses already dead, although I hope the Dr makes it his chances of survival seem slim. Especially if all four caught it together somehow.

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Sorry I departed so early from the thread - I'm well into my third trimester and quite prone to hobbling evenings of exhaustion. But onward...

This is quite frightening. I hadn't realized the breadth of the outbreak until after posting and reading a few of the replies last night. Just the idea that this is somehow behind China's quarantine sends a chill up my spine, but I suppose as business becomes more and more internationalized, we'll witness challenges to containment.

Subtruth - thank you for administering a thorough verbal wooping in my absence.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Aedaeum

Dude, bad form and worse morals. I'm a satirist in one of my incarnations and no, this isn't funny in the least. Please study humor and what makes it funny.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Please let us know when a member of your family dies, and we will laugh, laugh, laugh with you.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aedaeum
Sociopaths are born, not taught.

Just a lack of caring/love given from their mother/parents to their baby/early years (0-4 years) I believe.

I laugh at ''accidents'' and yea it doesn't matter that much if you do, even though in this case it's not that funny but to everyone his own..

It's not that this doctor would hear it...

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: chasingbrahman

More credit must be given to those who work with its victims in an effort to give comfort and understand more about this virus. It is truly a labor of love for humanity. Someone will hopefully save this generous soul.

Brilliant analysis and commentary.

Just curious though - exactly how do you think this doctor might have been infected?

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   

You feel sorry for me because I do not find humor in misery. Irony at its best.

Misery and death are not funny topics. And your parents failed to teach you a very important life lesson about empathy. It is a learned trait and you parents did in fact fail to some degree. I am betting you have not really experienced life to much and empathy can come over time. It is key to having a successful family life. Truth be told nothing I say is going to change your mind. It will become clear over time and if it does not I feel for ya and the people around you.
edit on 24-7-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth

....a very important life lesson about empathy.

"Empathy" my aunt fanny's big fat butt. It's rubbernecking. Nothing more. NOTHING.

One single sensational headline about one single doctor. What about the over 1000 infected before this? And the over 600 deaths? What about the hospital where 25 out of 28 nurses were infected - and died?

The Ebola epidemic has been followed since March here on ATS. Where was all this so-called empathy before this sensational headline?

Ebola Epidemic Could Become Global Crisis
Ebola Airborne? Spreads From Pigs to Monkeys Without Contact
Ebola: Bio-Terrorism for Corporate Economic Control?
Ebola Outbreak Too Big For the WHO to Handle

...Gimme a break. And stop glorifying the puerile. Please.

Just saw this. The self-absorbed ignorant puerility evidenced here is waayyyy beyond belief.

edit on 24/7/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

edit on 24/7/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

a reply to: soficrow

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk...

Jessica Elgot [email protected]

WITCH DOCTORS NOT THE ANSWER

"Though Western aid organisations and governments want to convince the afflicted populations that witch doctors and traditional healers are not the answer to the epidemic, the reality is that Western medicine has no cure either."

and so around and around it goes,,,

apparently u can get it, if the infected person, threatens to or succeds in cutting your suit with a machette,,,

its like working with zombies,,u know ,, no brains.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Captain Tripps....

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I hope this brave man makes it through this heavy ordeal. It takes guts to laugh in the face of danger, and do it anyway so you can help others. Hopefully some others will be able to help him through this too.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: LightningStrikesHere
I can't help but to feel a bit worried about this situation.

...It really reminds me of that movie outbreak....

...Didn't the same thing happen with the doctor in the movie.

...What ever the case may be Ill make dua (prayer) for these people...

I am exceedingly sorry for this development.
I do not have a god/God to pray to...so, if allowed, I would offer any virtue that might reside in me...to your dua/prayer...and/or...if nothing else - wish, vehemently, for strong, swift and genuine recovery.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 02:09 AM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

I am not sure what kind of point you are trying to make but your post came off as a little bit odd and out of place. Do you understand why I mentioned empathy..........Context is everything and you missed it I do believe.

Your post was strange to say the least. We have this guy at work who always jumps into conversations giving his two cents and it comes off as out of place and arrogant to some degree.
edit on 25-7-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 02:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow
Just curious though - exactly how do you think this doctor might have been infected?

Most likely he contracted it when getting his suit off. Sterilization technieques in the field are by no means perfect.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Talking to you is a bit like talking to a brick wall. For one, you don't understand psychology and have not studied how the brain works. The fact that you called "empathy" a learned "trait", proves you know nothing about the subject. Traits are inherent. There is a proven difference between a sociopaths brain and a "normal" persons brain (I use the term "normal" lightly). Empathy comes from an inherent nature to "care" about things, to put it in laymen terms for you. Not everyone has this trait.

Humor is subjective, the same as beauty and art. Just because YOU think something isn't beautiful or artistic, doesn't make it so. People have these preconceived notions that their idea of the world is the "correct" view. It's amazing how short-sighted and puerile mankind is, as soficrow already mentioned. Sadly his comment went right over most of your heads. He's the only one on this thread who understands what's going on.

For someone who is constantly bleating "empathy", you really have no respect for others who don't fit inside your box, do you? You judge me without knowing me and insist that my parents failed, thereby insinuating that I am a failure of a person. Your bleeding heart is all too obvious.... You assume everything knowing nothing. If that's the way you want to live your life, go ahead, but for the rest of us thinking men/women, keep it to yourself. It's fine to debate your point of view, but don't resort to childishness (insults); you're only debasing yourself at that point.

Lastly, when I said "I feel sorry for you", it wasn't because of finding humor in misery (as I said, humor is subjective), it was because you can't see outside of your imaginary soap box.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join