It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Considering a monastic lifestyle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I've been thinking about joining the Hindu monastery on Kauai for a long time, despite not being active religiously for a while. But a few chance events happened recently that I am now feeling the pull toward seeking the path of yoga:
- 4th of July, i met with a Vaishnav travelling monk who offered me some ISKON literature. While talking to him, and mentioning that I was a Shaiva Hindu, he mentioned the himalayan academy..which is the monastery in Kauai Hawaii. I have heard about it before and had bookmarked the site on Chrome.
-a few weeks later last thursday, i developed a very odd sore on my forehead, about where the mystical third eye would be. At first thought it was a bug bite (my room had been invaded by ants from the window), but then it got red and full of puss, almost like a giant zit. I also thought that it could be from a hat i wore, but had no previous indications, such as rawness in the area. As of now, i have somewhat of a healing spot where it once was.
-the recent events in Gaza and Ukraine, along what everything else in the world, has caused me much pain. I can't even think or clear my mind in my own room. the material world has overwhelmed me. I've also been filled with the desire to seek spiritual guidance and knowledge, as if something is pulling me toward the west...and the same words echo in my mind: go west to go east.

Has anyone tried living a monastic life in any of the religions? I would love to know, as I'm starting to remember the Night in the Woods, when the Lord Mahaadev Shiva appeared before me.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TheToastmanCometh

A journey of a thousand miles begins with the 1st step. The steps are yours, the path ahead. Follow your heart. If its speaking? Listen...good luck whatever you decide.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I'm not a religious man, but what you described sounds beautiful! I would far rather give it a go; were I in your shoes, than to continue in so stressful an existence, and die having never followed an actual (imho) religious 'calling'.
To think that there is a place you could go, and are; in fact, being called unto, makes me happy that you have so (seemingly) clear a path to traverse to at least some solace.

Whatever name is on your birth certificate is not You, so You only live once! Breathe as much Prana in as You can, and dive into the deepest part, I say!

If you do go there and are never seen in public again, please leave a memoir for the world; I'd buy two copies!

edit on 22-7-2014 by EzekielsWheel because: Layout issues, 'cause: "Duuuurrrrr..."

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I would venture that IF you were seriously considering entering into a such a life (and it's a commitment... and though you might be free to leave at any time it ...would be hard to do) but feel you have to ask strangers on the internet about it, then maybe... just maybe... you are already in a sort of "monastery" and need to engage with real live people first... which, when you puzzle it out, just might be the reason we're here... or one of them.

But I don't know... I don't know you, either... or rather I don't know your particulars... but I know human beings fairly well.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

My environment where I am now just doesn't feel right. I have tried home meditation/puja, but my family constantly drags me into the material world. Sure it's fin having what can be called a life: job, car, money, house, relationship, etc. But it just feels so...hollow...like a phyrric victory almost. Or that's the best i can put it.

i've always had a strong connection to a spiritual force...when I was still Christian, i wanted to be a nun (but was chided for it being for Catholics only, as i was raised in a Lutheran household) it wasn't until i was 9 when i had the revelation of Lord Shiva that i was meant to devote my life to him.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Listen to what your being told .. its time for you to go and follow your path ..

Theres times over the years where have gone for brief periods to usa hachiman-gu in japan both growing up and since to meditate and get away from the world ..

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 01:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheToastmanCometh
a reply to: Baddogma

My environment where I am now just doesn't feel right. I have tried home meditation/puja, but my family constantly drags me into the material world. Sure it's fin having what can be called a life: job, car, money, house, relationship, etc. But it just feels so...hollow...like a phyrric victory almost. Or that's the best i can put it.

i've always had a strong connection to a spiritual force...when I was still Christian, i wanted to be a nun (but was chided for it being for Catholics only, as i was raised in a Lutheran household) it wasn't until i was 9 when i had the revelation of Lord Shiva that i was meant to devote my life to him.

Family? You've householder responsiblities?

If you can't practise where you are, then.....

Try a few retreats, see if anyone will take you on as a lay student first.

Don't make a committment you can't keep.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I agree with the above poster. Go on retreat and if the pull is still there ... then follow it. If you don't, you'll always wonder what could have been ....

This earth is temporary. Eternity is forever.

Anyways, good luck. I hope it works out.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   
You either have the calling or you don't.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

By family, my parents and siblings

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Any serious postulant needs to ask her/himself, "What to I expect to leave behind? What do I expect to find"

Speaking from the Christian tradition, unless you join an anchorite (solitary/hermit) institution, you will NOT be leaving behind the drama / soap opera of living with "neighbors" in a community. A monastery is like being on a submarine. One that won't surface again this year. You will know each person by the smell of their breath. Think about that for a while.

What do you expect to find? Solitude? If you are missing stillness, and that's what preventing your inward journey, I have to caution you that you might not find much solitude or stillness in a monastery. In the Christian tradition, very few orders actually sit around and "pray all day." That seems to hold true for my quite limited knowledge of monasteries of Eastern Religions as well. There is a lot of manual work to do. Often, a lot of visitors. While there is definitely a lot of structured introspective time, it is with a group of other monks, not alone in a cave.

Same for stillness. Human society, even monastic society, has claims upon your spare time. And every society, monastic included, doesn't think it's "too much to ask" for one more interview with a poor family, one more tour you give to visiting dignitaries, one more photo op for the donors, one more calf to be delivered at 4 in the morning.

Maybe none of this will be relevant for your walk. But many postulants, especially young men, are actually seeking solitude rather than a "community of heart", and so don't stick with it long.

Many traditions have a program where you can "ease into" the monastic life. Many Christian monasteries in the Benedictine traditions will let you schedule a weekend where you do volunteer/intern work, and maybe sleep offsite but eat with the brothers. After a year or so, your visits become more frequent and longer, until you finally take up the rule of the order formally. I don't know whether your tradition has that program, but I bet they have one like it, since their goal is to help you succeed.

There are some monastic setting where its basically like a very quiet hotel. But in those, you are a paying guest.

All the best.

new topics

top topics

join