It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ashamed of the garbage people my age listen to

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
There is some good music out there, but you just have to hunt around more. Usually it's smaller and more localized stations that break from the playlist on the mainstream radio stations. If you manage to pull in a college station, there's sometimes a good run depending on what DJ is on at the time.

But I get where you're coming from. I mostly like rock/alternative, and I'm down to 3 good radio stations when back in the 1990's there used to be 6 to choose from. Can't jump around on the dial like I used to when they get some song stuck on the playlist too much.

Also not all rap is bad, but there is a lack of cleverness with the lyrics like there used to be. Then again I like the old school hiphop more than gangsta stuff. The new stuff is trying to be too serious and seems to lack the humor and alliteration that gave verbal punch to go with the beat. Some of the crass things said back in the day were more along the line of yo momma jokes, but now a lot of it seems more mean spirited in some misguided pursuit of street cred.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   
A reply to: RonPalmer

Yup - written and performed by a Tory-supporting, multi-millionaire tax exile.

Indeed.

edit on 24/7/14 by Astyanax because: of a sense of humour.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: CloudsTasteMetallic

Nice one.
the Flaming Lips.

But even their great days are behind them now. Remember, this was a band that once put out an album on four CDs, that was supposed to be listened to simultaneously on four CD players...

As for Pink Floyd, their last good album was The Wall. I saw them prémière it at Earl's Court. Stunning sound and visuals, but they themselves were the most boring performers on the planet, even then. And age hasn't improved them. Rick Wright in particular is looking rather poorly...

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Only one brand of music out there, that actually tells the truth, and is saying it is time to do something about it!

It is no wonder that every effort in the WORLD has been undertaken to remove this music from the collective consciousness of the world, BILLIONS upon BILLIONS spent to make people hate these very vital frequencies, that these bands are especially hitting NOW.

When they were singing about partying, killing and stupidity, it was somewhat allowed, but as the late 90's hit, this music evolved, and they ERASED it basically from being allowed to be played.

SATURN, is all about HEAVY METALS, and their is a reason this has been called HEAVY METAL, because these frequencies are of the advanced, everything else overall is just scraping! AND THEY KNOW IT, so they have programmed almost everyone to hate it , fear it, get a bad reaction when it EVEN APPEARS.

LOL PHIL COLLINS WHITNEY HOUSTON, that is not going to help us now!!

edit on 24-7-2014 by ParasuvO because: Error

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: CloudsTasteMetallic

People who hate on rap music for 'moral' reasons may not have a very good grasp of music history.

Look at old (really old) English, Irish and Scottish folk songs and you'll find plenty with such themes as murder, rape, incest, infanticide, alcoholism and just about every other crime under the sun.

Same goes for the blues, as you say, except that by then drugs had been invented, so we have lots of songs about that too.

And 'paedophilia' has been a staple of pop music just about for ever. Remember this?

Creepy or what?

edit on 25/7/14 by Astyanax because: of good manners.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Yeah, the Flips are getting kinda boring now. Been around for ages now, but Steven Drozd is a freaking genius multi-instrumentalist, and a massive influence on my drumming style. Even though Zaireeka (the 4 cd set) was a pain it the butt to listen to, I do admire the experimental, push-the-envelope aspect of it. Wayne Coyne's ego has run wild as of the last few years though.

Totally agree that "The Wall" was last great Floyd album, in my opinion anything after was either a Waters or Gilmour solo album with Mason and Wright backing them. But the film "Live in Pompeii" is eternal.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Muse 7 you are different than most people. Aged 18-24 bumping Phil Collins and Whitney Houston? What city and state do you live in just curious? Right now it's all about electronic dance music. PLUR

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Wow.

To me, Phil Collins is the best example of the worst kind of musical artist possible. I would rather hear the hellacious sound of needle sharp fingernails scraping slowly across a chalkboard than the sound of Phil Collin's voice.

I am over 40 years old and I like the artists today. I enjoy dubstep, but then, I am so damn sick of hearing the (albeit excellent) songs of yesteryear played over and over and over again. Pink Floyd is a fantastic band with music that affected me to the core of my being.

I never need to hear Pink Floyd again. The hundreds of times I've heard the mastery that is Floyd in my life, is over-played to such an extreme that it is no longer pleasurable to hear.

However, I would rather listen to "Hot Problems" by Double take or "Friday" by Rebecca Black on repeat for centuries than hear the incessant whine, the sophomoric tones, the anti-vocals that is Phil Collins.

How can you possibly see good in his performance?
edit on 25-7-2014 by gottaknow because: grammar

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

But music can be everything

happy, mad, angry, romantic, peaceful, aggressive, violent, epic, etc

Just like we don't have only one mood,

Music is the ultimate expression of feelings, and a portal of different ideas , whatever genre someone listens to...

Music isn't going to lead anyone to crime,

Society does...

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I personally like all types of music from classical to 80's to 00's/10's whatever my tonedeaf ears like I like.
As for the majority of music these days I agree with the OP, its all crap, manufactured, regurgitated, sexed and lusted up, money greed spouting, respect lacking, mindless drivel.
Most of the songs are for children these days, full of sexual content, look at my booty shaking in your face do you want it?, money orientated, gotta get rich right now, respectless, n**ger get the f**k away from me,i gotta go shoot a cop nonsense, manufactured synthesised drum beats and no rythm, beibercyrus-esque your so cool you wanna go out with me? puke.
All that mindnumbing programming for the kids to listen to, to prevent them actually becoming civilised, its a conspiracy I tell ya.

I mean its so obvious can anyone tell the the difference between Beiber and Cyrus anyway they look the same so you cant say pops manufactured.

Gosh I feel so old.

(post by algag1129 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Pink Floyd, Genesis, Eric 'Wankhand' Clapton - jeez, punk was supposed to kill-off all that turgid crud... Is the average age of people on this site 80+ or is it just a general lack of taste and imagination?

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: RonPalmer

Well, punk didn't kill anything off. Punk is dead as yesterday's fish, and the music it was supposed to destroy still survives and delights huge numbers of new fans every day. Your team lost.

I loved the Clash, the Jam, Television, the Sex Pistols, Ian Dury and the Blockheads, Siouxie and the Banshees and many other bands from that era, but there was nothing very special about punk; the musicians that came out of that movement and earned respect for themselves are the ones who broadened their artistic horizons beyond three chords in 4/4 for two and a half minutes while getting gobbed on.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: muse7

Don't be so quick to write off all rap music. I'm 30, and have been listening to REAL Hip-Hop for years. It's not all about cars, women, and money.

If you can listen to this and still tell me that rap can't have meaning, I just wouldn't know what to say...

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Whitney Houston? You know she's a blown out crack addict right?

All rap isn't bad. All music they put on the radio is part of an agenda though. Even country music on the radio is 100% about girls, booze, and trucks. Ever hear of the "pay to play" scandal? Radio stations are paid by the music industry to play all that crap, doesn't matter whether the dj's actually like it or not, they are paid to play whatever they're told, not to have an opinion about it unless its positive.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
People only buy albums of music they hear on the radio. (industry controlled)
The bands that do occasionally make great music , who start out making all their own songs, eventually get trapped into singing songs created by other people in the industry. (ie. Marina and the Diamonds) There is an agenda. Even that bufu Justin Beiber admitted being approached by the Illuminati.

However, I've never met anyone my age (30) who HATES my type of music. They hear the music of the underground, and it calls too them. Admit for one second that the idea of SEARCHING for music never even crossed the mind of most of you, let alone the sheepish majority.

I'm going to submit one song that I think is perfect.
And illustrates the hatred the underground has for this industry of agenda and advantageousness.

Listen, and enjoy. This is my type of music.
[snip]

edit on 25-7-2014 by threatened4silence because: (no reason given)

edit on Mon Aug 11 2014 by Jbird because: removed embed

edit on 11/8/14 by masqua because: removed embedded vid a second time

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: threatened4silence

I had a listen. Maybe my ears are too old and set in their ways, but I was unable to discern any musical interest in it whatsoever. Could you explain what you find attractive in it?

edit on 25/7/14 by Astyanax because: there's no need to be rude.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax
Yeah man.

I like that the song isn't trying to sell anything. It's a beat that really grooves.
Part of the biggest problem with art these days is that it only exists to vent.
This type of music you don't need to vent. It's Eternal.

Besides your venting was stupid anyway.

Sex, Drugs, and DJ!!!

Ill never understand why some people don't like techno..

But. Everyone likes classics.

However, I truly think that rock musicians are soulless creatures.
Rap artists too. At least with techno there is a tribal sense.

Check out soundcloud.com... for mixes of all genre of music.
edit on 26-7-2014 by threatened4silence because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-7-2014 by threatened4silence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   
imo.. people who listen too rock are the same voting the presidential election each year, thinking the outcome will be any different.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 01:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: RonPalmer
Pink Floyd, Genesis, Eric 'Wankhand' Clapton - jeez, punk was supposed to kill-off all that turgid crud... Is the average age of people on this site 80+ or is it just a general lack of taste and imagination?

I'm 27, thank you. However, as a musician I look to the past and present for influence. (Good artists borrow, great artists steal.)

Punk wasn't meant to kill anything, it was just a rebellion to the eventual overindulgences of arena-rock, which was influenced by many of the masters of the late 60's/early 70's. "Hey, Boston blows, let's listen to the Ramones." The limited display of range and talent shown in first wave punk eventually led to Metal. Whatever floats your boat, man. Cycles.

I do listen to some punk, but find the "no-wave" reaction to the rigid structure of punk far more interesting. Honestly, Black Flag is about the only "strictly defined" punk band I care for.

In short, I try to keep an open mind and find value in nearly any genre.

Mars

Full "No New York" Album

edit on 7262014 by CloudsTasteMetallic because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join