It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ashamed of the garbage people my age listen to

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Read the whole thread and am pretty appalled. Let me help you folks out.....LOL!

www.npr.org...

www.wyep.org...

If you don't like something just wait 3 minutes and they'll play something completely different. LMAO!! Check out the past stuff on the World Cafe, I'd rather keep up with new artists and groups than live in the past. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Grateful Dead and Pink Floyd's the Wall...but Damn people!!! It's 2014!!!!

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I've been listening to Genesis: We Can't Dance - album. I've always loved that one.

I know a lot of younger kids who listen to 80's and 90's. They say they cannot stand new music. But whatever, listen to what you like, what moves you. I have an eclectic taste in music, BTW. Last week I was on a Prong kick and listened to: 'Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck' about a hundred times. I was also listening to old Bryan Adams. Before that, it was Enya(yes yes, I know, bring it on!!)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I would recommend looking at some of folk/indie scene, not mumford and sons, (though they can be alright).. Fleet Foxes.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
If you are interested in Phil Collins, I made a cover of him right here

I agree that most pop music today is horrible and probably part of the dumbing down agenda that every artistic fields seem to be suffering from.

If you want good new music, you need to check out unknown bands and artists across the internet.
edit on 23-7-2014 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I thank you VERY MUCH for this thread!!

You brought back lots of memories for me and to be honest, I thought you were an 'older' poster [based on other postings].

You have restored my faith in the younger generation!.

I agree with other posters to broaden you musical horizon and escape the chains of pop CULTURE.
Look up Spike Jones cause he was the 'Weird Al' of his generation 30/40"s? 'Cocktails for two'.

Just know that you are not alone [my kid is 18 and i would like to think that I raised him right....he agrees with your post/OP]

My 'puter is being stupid so I gotta close this..... BTW... I am a die hard Phil/Genesis fan!

look up Mike and the Mechanics--In The Living Years. Mike Rutherford did a solo progect after The Invisible Touch tour and all I can say is, if 'Another Day In Paradise' got to you then this will as well. [mike Rutherfird was a founding member of gGenesis in 67...Phil got on board in 1970.]

Peter Gabriel was a founding member all well, Red Rain is a solo song that hit deep as weel, but he had many others and was also considered pop at the time of his departure from Genesis.

Look up "Home by the Sea" parts 1&2 by Genesis. Don't watch the vidio. The music is incredible!

Drum duet by Phil Collins/ Chester Thompson During Invisible Touch tour........15 minutes of totally amazing!!
Seen it LIVE and I wiill never forget it!

'Take me Home' video by phil was and still is my all time fav.

Would say more, but 'puter is acting slow and stupid. PM me if you like,

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Cab Calloway. Oh My what a unique entertainer he was. The frosting on a cake of a whole genre. And him finishing off his career as an old man in Blue's Brothers, sent an otherwise brilliant collection of music, into orbit.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Its silly to think people today listen to anything worse than people of the past have. Also there is nothing wrong with music that lacks substance since who wants to be debated 24/7? Music is meant to be enjoyed and there is more than one way to enjoy it. Personally my tastes in music ranges greatly.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: openyourmind1262

I like the cut of your jib, sir or madam.

This is for you.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Music is a double edge sword right now with really great new hybrid genres emerging, but also completely horrible ones as well. Mark my words, Gangster Country Rap will be a thing.

I can already hear lyrics like, ... cuz I am gangsta from the farm with a girl on each arm, A beer in my hand while I kick over the mic the stand......I got diamonds in my ear with gold spinners on my John Deer.

On the serious side I have been finding some cool stuff. I have never been a fan of drum and bass music but this is awesome, www.youtube.com... Drum & Bass with acoustic instruments.

I also recommend checking out these covers of modern songs done in different musical styles.
1920s Snoop Dog cover www.youtube.com...

1940s Madonna www.youtube.com...

Or Rihanna in the style of Jazz, www.youtube.com...

Just changing the style and having great musicians perform it makes many of these tolerable, if not great. Many of these covers surpass the ones you hear on the radio.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: muse7

Lorde......Sia........Mumford and sons...........Just a name a few current artists that are great. Music is subjective just like personal truth.

That being said the music industry and media outlets like Disney are corrupting young minds with progressive ideals that will lead to failure.
edit on 24-7-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 02:21 AM
link   
a reply to: CloudsTasteMetallic

Gotta laugh. Yeah, that was pretty disgusting. But, whilst I do appreciate and listen to GOOD new music, it all sounds and looks highly commercialized. I discovered music during the 60-70's and it seemed more poignant then than it is now. There was a REAL connection to the times and not merchandise. I would take any young person to a PINK FLOYD concert, no matter their preconceptions, and blow their mind!

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   
To the OP, it is just the mainstream commercial stuff that is crap. What I really hate is the auto-tune vocal sound. Might as well be the chipmunks.

Thanks for the great thread replies & vids, I had forgotten about some of that stuff.

Did the Us festival as a teenager and many more along the way.

We had great sound, but not the low frequency ground pounding equipment they have today. That and computerization is biggest difference. Always plenty of good stuff out there, just not in one place anymore. Radio sucks, satellite is limited.

edit on 7/24/14 by verylowfrequency because: late

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 06:10 AM
link   
The word rock and roll means to have sex. That is what I got from it, what else can it mean? Rocking in a motion of going and leaving, rolling is done during or when it is over.

So sex has always been used as an attention grabber it is just in the past they couldn't be as explicit as today, it was more subtle.

If you listen to the wrong kind of music you will become the wrong kind of man. -Socrates
edit on 24-7-2014 by bitsforbytes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Bravo OP for going against the grain. Music is a highly personal thing anyway.

I know a lot of people have made recommendations but if you like Phil and Whitney try digging up some old Earth, Wind & Fire. Phil uses their horn section anyway.

Another gem is the first solo album by Sting. His band is a who's who of great jazz musicians and following them could open a lot of avenues up to you that you might not have considered before (as far as music goes).

It's amazing how many finds you can make by paying attention to the credits on an album!

Cheers!

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Is it really disturbing that I think more people should enjoy songs such as "Another day in paradise"?

Such a powerful and emotional song, that makes you think twice about your life. If you compare yourself to a homeless man that does not even have shoes on his feet, and no place to sleep. You truly are in paradise.

It makes you want to get out there and help the homeless.

Yup - written and performed by a Tory-supporting, multi-millionaire tax exile.

And it's crap.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Youth will always listen to "music" they think will piss off the older generation, little do they understand that the older generation did the same thing in there youth. Revenge is a bitch
. As an oldee i do think the music from my time was in many ways much better.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: ozwest
a reply to: CloudsTasteMetallic

Gotta laugh. Yeah, that was pretty disgusting. But, whilst I do appreciate and listen to GOOD new music, it all sounds and looks highly commercialized. I discovered music during the 60-70's and it seemed more poignant then than it is now. There was a REAL connection to the times and not merchandise. I would take any young person to a PINK FLOYD concert, no matter their preconceptions, and blow their mind!

While I love The Floyd, I'd say the Flaming Lips are carrying the torch of a wild live show combined with great music.

I was actually at this show, mind-blowing. In fact, one their New Year's shows, they played Dark Side of The Moon from start to finish to ring in the new year.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee

originally posted by: CloudsTasteMetallic

originally posted by: proob4
I really think it all just boils down to a generation type thing which I am a few generations off now. It's just the way it is, it will be there world soon and they can figure it out.

You just reminded me of this great Simpsons quote, where middle-aged Grandpa is talking to teenager Homer:

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it*, and what's *it* seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you too one day..."

But yeah you're right, during our younger years, we're more open-minded in seeking out the new, and tend to emotionally identify with it even later in life, as it brings back memories of the good old days.

During all the past together there was never popular music aimed at the young that spoke of tortcher, killing, rape, death by numerous ways and lust but never the beauty of sex with love.

Lines like this

Put anthrax on a Tampax, and slap you 'til you can't stand
Read more at www.hitfix.com...

While this may not have been aimed at the young ones... Dig on some blues. Back in the 40's & 50's, John Lee Hooker was singing about having a friend of his killed, who fooled around with his wife.

There was a lot more subtlety in the storytelling aspect though.
edit on 7242014 by CloudsTasteMetallic because: wrong yt link

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
No, music of today does not suck, only the radio does.

The reason you think hip hop is ignorant bull#, is also because of the radio. Underground hip hop has some of the most creative artists you'll find, but hip hop has been subverted and the corporate stranglehold has them blocked out.

If you aren't close minded, give these a chance.

edit on 07pm01pm312014-07-24T13:48:50-05:0001America/Chicago by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
i understand that the older gereration hears swearing and the occaional n-bomb in a song and think its crap because of it, take this song for instance, its rap, its lil wayne, and yet youll never actually listen to the lyrics,

for instance, when you read this without the music its poetry. no
lil wayne - Drop the World

I got ice in my veins
blood in my eyes
hate in my heart
love in my mind
I seen nights full of pain
days are the same
You keep the sunshine
save me the rain
I search but never find
Hurt but never cry
I work and forever try
but I'm cursed so never mind
And its worse but better times
seem further and beyond
The top gets higher
The more that I climb
This spot gets smaller
and I get bigger.
Trying get me where I fit in
No room for a nigga.
But soon for a nigga it be on motha#a
'Cause all this bull# made me strong motha#a

So i pick the world up and I'ma drop it on yo #ing head
Yeah
Bitch I'ma pick the world up and I'ma drop it on yo #ing head
Yeah
And I could die now
Rebirth motha#a'
Hop up in my spaceship and leave Earth motha#a'
I'm Gone,
Motha#a' I'm gone.

I know what they don't want to tell you
Just hope your heaven sent, and you're hell-proof
I-I walk up in the world
And cut the lights off
And confidence is the stain
they can't wipe off
Huh, my word is my pride
But wisdom is bleak
And that's a word from the wise
Served to survive
Murdered and bribed
and when it got too heavy
I put my burdens aside

So I pick the world up and I'ma drop it on yo #ing head
Yeah
Yeah
And I could die now
Rebirth motha#a'
I'm Gone,
Motha#a' I'm gone.

It hurts but I never show
This pain you will never know
If only you could see
just how lonely and how cold
And frostbit I've become
My backs against the wall
When push come to shove
I just stand up and scream # 'em all

Man, It feels like these walls are closing in
This roof is caving in
Its time to raise it then
Your days are numbered like pages in
my book of rhymes
got 'em cooking, boys
this crooked mind of mine
got em all shook and scared
to look me in my eyes
I stole that #ing clock and took the time
I came up from behind
and pretty much snuck up and butt #ed this game up
Better be careful when you bring my name up
# this fame, that ain't what
I came to claim but the game ain't gonna be them same on the day that I leave it
But I swear one way or another I'm gonna make these #ing haters believe
That I swear to God
won't spare the rod
I'ma man of my word
So your #ing heads better nod
I'ma # around in this bitch and roast everybody
Sleep on me,
That pillow is where your head will lie
Permanently bitch, its beddy-bye
This world is my easter egg
Yeah, prepare to die (dye)
My head is swoll'
My confidence is up
This stage is my pedestal
I'm unstoppable
Incredible Hulk ,
You're trapped in my medicine ball
I can run circles round you so fast your #ing head will spin dawg
I'll spit your cabbage and your lettuce and olives and

I'ma pick the world up and I'ma drop it on yo #ing head
Yeah
Yeah
And I could die now
Rebirth motha#a'
I'm Gone,
Motha#a' I'm gone.

Now again i understand if you think its filth, but I'm 25 years old, and i don't really care for 60's 70's 80's and why should I, my parents listen to today's music as well, could it be just what your brought up liking that you decide to like it, or is it your peers and the people around you who influence you to like a certain genre.

Next is the ever changing Genre of EDM (Electronic Dance Music) many older people i find absolutely hate anything that comes synthetically and say that it takes no skill to make a real EDM song that people like, honestly id love to see any musician try to do it, its not that easy and it happens to be the most popular type of music in the world toady, the last EDM festival i wanted to go to was the Tomorrow Land festival in Germany, but unfortunately all tickets tickets were sold out within 1 second
Tomorrow Land Festival sells out in 1 second
now tell me any festival or concert or any musician was able to achieve this goal, the fact of the matter is times are changing and what people like and find to be artistic or talented is also changed.

and come on you have to admit that the 60's and 70's just remind you of your days when you were poppin acid and trippin out to the latest doors or Floyd. music might have felt alot different from the early era because nothing but drugs and creativity came from it, less drugs now a days means worse music, i'm not so sure haha

edit on 24-7-2014 by pimptriggs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join