It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ashamed of the garbage people my age listen to

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: muse7

I LOVE Phil Collins!!! "Sussudio" is one of my favs! I am always jamming out to 80s/90s music! Music today SUCKS!!!

My husband thinks Phil Collins is horrible. I told him those are divorcing words lol. We have such different music taste. Mine is awesome, his is very questionable. lol

I LOVE me some Weird Al. I listen to a lot of Weird Al. My current favorite is his "Word Crimes" one. I did a thread on it. It makes me laugh and I jam in the car to it. I have gotten some looks and laughs but hey I'm having fun and my son, 13 months, dances in the back. It's great!

Music today is so different. It's not even music imo. They are manufactured artists and most don't even write their own music let alone sing live!

The only musician I like of today is Taylor Swfit. YES I LOVE HER! She writes her own music and it's catchy. lol

I have been a Matchbox Twenty fan since I was about 15 and i'm 35 so for a long time. They are great musicians and Rob Thomas is a great music writer! I enjoy their music very much.

As for that thing called rap. Ugh. Can't stand it. I dont mind some hip hop and I mean very little. It's mostly mainstream stuff I heard while working in the clubs years ago so I heard it ALL THE TIME.

As for Whitney Houston. I liked her 80s and early 90s stuff same with Madonna. I remember singing Whitney Houston's "How Do I Know" using my hair brush as a microphone, same with Debbie Gibson.

Ahh music today is just too vulgar imo also.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Phil Collins - Tupac
Ford - Chevy
Israel - Gaza
Christian - Muslim
French fry's - tator tots

Everybody believes they know whats better and that's their opinion.

The greatest thing about mankind is we all have different opinions, it's also the worst thing since we can't agree on anything.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
What i find fumy is people think they need words..

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: muse7
What I find more disturbing is how most young people today listen to "songs" that talk about nothing more but than doing drugs, having sex, and getting drunk.

There are songs from the twenties, thirties and later where they sing about the same things.

All the albums listed by Clouds have songs about sex, drugs and drinking.

If you don't like the music you don't have to listen to it.

Great point. Many of the early jazz greats were heavy heroin users. My personal theory is that musicians/writers/creative-mindset types are more likely to use drugs, as a way of seeking novel experiences and expansion of consciousness. Sadly, many have taken it too far and died early.

But i think one key difference is that much of the earlier music was more pure in that it emoted both the positives and negatives of drug use. Much like the OP's original argument, what I hear in modern mainstream rap is pure glorification of the culture, without representation of the downsides.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

Most people listen to the music of their piers.

Speak for yourself, I can't stand Piers.

edit on 22-7-2014 by NeverMind2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I tend to listen to several different genres of music. I like rock, metal, blues, pop, rap, punk, folk, the list goes on. I don't go in search of music from a specific genre, I tend to just like songs that just click with me and make me feel something. I may only like just one song from a specific band for example, but then another band I may like their entire music catalogue. I think the worst thing people can do in regard to music is pigeon hole themselves into just likening one genre and excluding all the rest. There is good rap out there, you just need to look. Yes the majority seems to be about drugs, money and women, but there are rappers out there trying to change that and send out a different message. If I get chance I'll try and link to some examples but my son's teething and so is grumpy about 20hrs out of the day

It's 3:38am here just for an indication of what my life is like right now

Speaking of, when my eldest was a baby we played different types of music to him to see his reactions. He cried at Britney Spears and laughed at Iron Maiden. I found it amusing

Sorry if my reply is nonsensical, I'm so very tired and a cat screeching outside just scared the pants off me.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   

.... when they could be enjoying true musical masterpieces such as "Sussudio", "Another Day in Paradise", or "Don't Lose my Number".

Although I think Phil Collins best work came from his solo career, I still think Genesis made some great music as well. Hits such as "Land of Confusion" and "In Too Deep" are definitely in my Phil Collins collection.

I didn't know Patrick Bateman was an ATS member. Put the axe down and step away from Paul Allen...

If you don't know what I'm talking about: www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Here I click in expecting the usual revelations concerning 70-90's alternative compared to the craptastic pop of today and instead I get Phil and Whitney?

Well, Whitney did have a helluva voice... but Gabriel blew Collins outta the water... but all pale to the totally innovative madness of any number of Alt-punk-art bands of that era... VU, Telivision, Ramones, X, Pistols (though sucked, really, but were innovative) Pixies, Butthole Surfers, REM, Blondie, Eno, Talking Heads... the Cars even...

Heck, even Mozart, Debussy, Big B, Hank Williams, or Billie Holiday... any blues or jazz with a black guy prior to 1970... J. Brown ...funk... geez... so many... and house from 90's and ...trails off... gosh, even 50's show tunes if you go that way... even "classic rock" was amazing n the 60's and 70's...

Oh well... gotta start somewhere... turn it up.
edit on 7/22/2014 by Baddogma because: really? Phil effin Collins?

edit on 7/22/2014 by Baddogma because: Phil sweaty drums Collins?

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: CloudsTasteMetallic

The good stuff lasts — even if it isn't very popular at the time — so it's still around for people to listen to.

The dross is soon buried and forgotten.

I'm 56 years old and I've been a musician and music lover most of that time. I agree with the OP (who I suppose is much younger) that the contemporary music I hear today is awful, barely deserving the name of music. But I'm alive to the possibility that I'm just too old, too jaded (or too refined in my tastes after all that listening and playing) to really enjoy anything new.

For the last fifteen years or so, my 'new discoveries' in music have actually been very old music: 'classical' music, old blues, country, Western swing, traditional African styles. I'm a happy old man because I know that there is enough beautiful old music out there, still 'new' to me, to last me several lifetimes.

My journey of musical discovery is a journey into the past, and it will never end until I do.

edit on 23/7/14 by Astyanax because: because I wasn't born holding a guitar.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

You mention Collins and Houston. Both were what is known as POP STARS.

Before he achieved success in pop, Phil Collins had a long and distinguished career as drummer, and later as singer, for a highly respected art-rock band called Genesis.

I saw Phil in Guildford, Surrey, England in 1980, playing drums for the sublime drunkard John Martyn. On bass was Tony Levin, who also played with, inter alia, King Crimson.

(Song starts at 3:30, btw)
Some King Crimson for a mind-blowing finish:

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Most of what I listen to has strong anti-establishment .. anti-war messages to it .. never could stand lamestream music .. currently listening to music from punk groups in china and japan as some good talent coming out of both these days ..

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I just enjoy anything that sounds good to my ear.

I like Cab at the mo.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 03:55 AM
link   

To be fair. All Rap is not garbage. Find a decent rapper that does not sing only about drugs and women. There are a few out there and their lyrical ability will astound you. Some of the deepest most emotional songs I have heard in my entire life have been of the hip hop/rap genre. Immortal technique comes to mind, MGK, Hopsin, and many more.

I believe almost every singer out there has at least one tune about sex or drugs - it is what society demands these days and every once in a while even the great artists have to scrape the bottom of the barrel to stay 'fresh' so to speak. That is why you see so many artists start out with truly amazing albums which progress into crap as their careers move on. Sad really.

I can appreciate where you are coming from OP. And it certainly is annoying when "THAT" person rolls up to the stoplight with their garbage blasting and the windows down. Then again - it is one of the best feelings in the world IMO to just cruise with one's favorite song playing loudly.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 04:14 AM
link   

I've been listening to a lot of Phil Collins and Whitney Houston recently, it's amazing how much talent they had compared to most artists today. It's a real shame that most people my age (18-24) listen to garbage such as rap. Every day when I'm driving some douche bag has to pull up next to me with rap blasting from his car. It's a real shame that they are listening to that crap when they could be enjoying true musical masterpieces such as "Sussudio", "Another Day in Paradise", or "Don't Lose my Number".

www.youtube.com...

Are you being ironic?

Have you been working with solvents in an enclosed space?

I'm horrified. Both you and those that you disparage are listening to crap and you have become "the universal dad", shaking his balding pate at youngsters and suggesting that their music is just rubbish and that their lyrics are silly or unintelligible; while yourself listening to the blandest, middle of the road tripe.

Please tell me you are taking the piss.

Please.

"True musical masterpieces"

Seriously, you are just trolling - you have to be. You hit a nerve though, so well done

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I too believe that most of what today's generation listen to in music is utter garbage, but you have to remember that you are older and come from a different place....

It all comes down to the fact that most people tend to listen to what is mainstream and available to them and their friends, many people don't tend to venture onto other types of music until they get a little older when they start to delve into past bands etc...

There are some great bands out there right now, you just have to separate the wheat from the chaff.......

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I don't consider a lot of what is out there today to be 'music'. It's hate and violence and anger being rhythmically pounded into the heads of youths .. nonstop ... day after day, week after week, month after month. Is it no wonder so many are continually angry and there is so much crime? The 'music' feeds the teen/young adult angst that is already there.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Your musical taste will change. I'm 51 and in the 80's if you cut the radio on...you heard Phil Collins or Steve Winwood. I hated those songs back then...not so much now. Now adays such icons as Skrillex ( dont even care if I spelled that wrong) are making money making noise or simply sampling anothers song. Where's the musical talent?

Country music has gone POP . Gospel has gone rock, rock has gone electric. Here of late Ive been on a Blue grass kick, listening to alot of Old Crow Medicine Show, great band. Celebrated the life of Freddie Mercury a couple of weeks ago, listend to Queen all day long. Great band, before it's time. My alll time favorite band is RUSH, Ive been a fan since I was 13 yrs old. Been to 11 of their concerts over the years. True musical talent in that band.

OP if you dont like the modern day music...just wait it'll change fast enough. I suggest you downlaod some Steve Winwood, the man was in three (3) bands in his life with great commercial success. The Spencer Davis Group, Traffic, Blindfaith and of course his solo career. Now he lives on a big arse farm in Ireland and just lives his life. A true musical talent.
edit on 23-7-2014 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Fisherr

All else side the music industry isn't about the art, it is about the dollars. Back in the 80's when young corporate executives figured out they could apply a formula to increase record sales it pretty much destroyed album driven music.
edit on 23-7-2014 by KeliOnyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: myselfaswell

I find it somewhat disturbing that you're prepared to admit that you listen to Phil Collins & Whitney Houston, let alone actually listening to either of them.

You need to embrace the diversity. That doesn't mean you have to listen to it or even like it, just accept it for what it is.

I really cannot imagine a world where everyone listens to Phil and Whitney, that's just too disturbing.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

Considering disturbing the listening of real music in comparison with the rap crap (including r&b and all the sub-genre) is the real disturbing thing. IMO the op is able to make the distinction and by doing it he obviously is accepting that this "genre" is pure crap. And rap is crap. Is not music. One might embrace it as diversity but that doesn't make it different from crap.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: CloudsTasteMetallic

originally posted by: proob4
I really think it all just boils down to a generation type thing which I am a few generations off now. It's just the way it is, it will be there world soon and they can figure it out.

You just reminded me of this great Simpsons quote, where middle-aged Grandpa is talking to teenager Homer:

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it*, and what's *it* seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you too one day..."

But yeah you're right, during our younger years, we're more open-minded in seeking out the new, and tend to emotionally identify with it even later in life, as it brings back memories of the good old days.

During all the past together there was never popular music aimed at the young that spoke of tortcher, killing, rape, death by numerous ways and lust but never the beauty of sex with love.

Lines like this

Put anthrax on a Tampax, and slap you 'til you can't stand
Read more at www.hitfix.com...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join