It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ashamed of the garbage people my age listen to

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I've been listening to a lot of Phil Collins and Whitney Houston recently, it's amazing how much talent they had compared to most artists today. It's a real shame that most people my age (18-24) listen to garbage such as rap. Every day when I'm driving some douche bag has to pull up next to me with rap blasting from his car. It's a real shame that they are listening to that crap when they could be enjoying true musical masterpieces such as "Sussudio", "Another Day in Paradise", or "Don't Lose my Number".

Although I think Phil Collins best work came from his solo career, I still think Genesis made some great music as well. Hits such as "Land of Confusion" and "In Too Deep" are definitely in my Phil Collins collection.

And let's not forget about Whitney, a pop icon with a marvelous and powerful voice.

www.youtube.com...

+18 more 
posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: muse7

I find it somewhat disturbing that you're prepared to admit that you listen to Phil Collins & Whitney Houston, let alone actually listening to either of them.

You need to embrace the diversity. That doesn't mean you have to listen to it or even like it, just accept it for what it is.

I really cannot imagine a world where everyone listens to Phil and Whitney, that's just too disturbing.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Music is subjective, a lot of teens tend to like light fluffy stuff, anything that makes them think of that special someone that they're crushing on that day. From the same-ish era of Whitney Houston and Phil Collins we also had Milli Vanilli and New Kids On The Block. All generations have fluff, talent and substance in music and throughout their whole culture.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: myselfaswell

I find it somewhat disturbing that you're prepared to admit that you listen to Phil Collins & Whitney Houston, let alone actually listening to either of them.

You need to embrace the diversity. That doesn't mean you have to listen to it or even like it, just accept it for what it is.

I really cannot imagine a world where everyone listens to Phil and Whitney, that's just too disturbing.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

What I find more disturbing is how most young people today listen to "songs" that talk about nothing more but than doing drugs, having sex, and getting drunk.

Hell, I don't even think that crap should even qualify as music.

Is it really disturbing that I think more people should enjoy songs such as "Another day in paradise"?

Such a powerful and emotional song, that makes you think twice about your life. If you compare yourself to a homeless man that does not even have shoes on his feet, and no place to sleep. You truly are in paradise.

It makes you want to get out there and help the homeless.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Its been the same way for ages. Roughly 90% of music is made solely for mass-appeal, and quickly forgotten/disposed of. The remaining 10% actually has artistic merit.

For example, in 1969, a year that saw the release of such landmark albums as Abbey Road, Led Zeppelin I & II, In The Court of The Crimson King, 3 (!) Creedence Clearwater Revival albums, Let it Bleed (Rolling Stones,) The Soft Parade (The Doors) and the first album by The Stooges... What was the #1 song of the year on the charts?

"Sugar Sugar" by the Archies. Pure bubblegum pop.

Yes, this was more popular than The Beatles. Le sigh.

There is still some great modern music though, you just gotta dig a little harder for it. If you dig rock, Check out Ty Segall, also The Black Angels. Or Tobbaco for weird, electro-pyschedellic.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   

I was just about to write a reply.

The post above by Clouds is more or less what I was going to write. That also goes for any attitudes to life with respect to drugs, drink and shagging.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: CloudsTasteMetallic

Its been the same way for ages. Roughly 90% of music is made solely for mass-appeal, and quickly forgotten/disposed of. The remaining 10% actually has artistic merit.

For example, in 1969, a year that saw the release of such landmark albums as Abbey Road, Led Zeppelin I & II, In The Court of The Crimson King, 3 (!) Creedence Clearwater Revival albums, Let it Bleed (Rolling Stones,) The Soft Parade (The Doors) and the first album by The Stooges... What was the #1 song of the year on the charts?

"Sugar Sugar" by the Archies. Pure bubblegum pop.

Yes, this was more popular than The Beatles. Le sigh.

There is still some great modern music though, you just gotta dig a little harder for it. If you dig rock, Check out Ty Segall, also The Black Angels. Or Tobbaco for weird, electro-pyschedellic.

While I do get the point that you are trying to convey here, I still think that music today is far far worse than anything released in the 60's.

I'd rather be stuck in a room listening to that song in the video, rather than to be stuck in a room listening to the latest rap song glorifying doing drugs and beating prostitutes.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Yea I can relate. I am 49 and my choice of music was hard rock and rock. I all ways thought i would be able to stay on top of that genre but it's a freak show now as well.

PEACE!

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   

I admire that you don't pretend just to fit in. Most of the rap and other music is meant to shock and convey filth, I admire any young person who has rejected the themes in these songs. I think you are probably very intelligent.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Very good point. Time is a great filter for separating the wheat from the chaff. While not the biggest fan of the 80's musical output, aside from The Talking Heads and a few others, I think its great that you're looking back to the past for better music than whats going on today.

I also at around thirteen years of age rejected most of what's mainstream to seek out what spoke to me, and its been an ever expanding journey of exploration.

There are even a few rap artists I enjoy these days, such as Tyler The Creator, and Earl Sweatshirt. But not the radio-friendly "bling culture" being glorified.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Most people listen to the music of their piers. Most people listen to the music they listen to when they were teens.
The "music scene" is controlled by the music industry to sell the same stuff, over and over to the same people over and over. Once that market has tapped out, it seeks out different sets of youth to catch in the same patterns of listen and buy. As people get older, oh so many are stuck with only the music that they listened to in their teens.

You mention Collins and Houston. Both were what is known as POP STARS. Both were highly talented but not so much more than so many other who never even got close to being that famous. POP STARS are POP STARS because they proved to be highly exploitable in the market of POP CULTURE. The market loves sure bets and because of this they were promoted heavily to continue their popularity. As the money that young people have has limits, POP Music sucks up much of it, draining the selling power of so many others.

As Myselfaswell suggests, embracing the diversity of music can free one from the chains of pop music. Again pop music seeks to keep us bound to the limited scope of what will sell and make a lot of profit.

The truth is is that music has been recorded now for what, a hundred years? There are recordings of Dixieland music from the early part of the last century. Vast amounts of it.

In the 30s and 40s music expanded. There was Swing, Bounce, Boogie Woogie, Big Band and Small Band and on and on. One could start listening now to the music that was popular then and never stop.

The 50s had the break down of the Big Band era and smaller groups became the norm, with wild and experimental things going on that many people of the time never even knew about. Bebop for one.

The 50s then brought us the early rock and roll which was hated by the older generations and loved by the teens. Then the teens of the 60's listened to a whole new set of musicians ans musics. Then the teens of the 70s and the teens of the 80s etc.

This goes on and on through the decades. And all of it out of the USA. It wasn't until George Harrison of the Beatles added the Indian sitar to some of the rock music they were doing that the people of the west even had heard the music of other countries. (slight exaggeration)

Opps, did I forget to mention Latin Jazz? I"m an idiot.

Spread out around the world and it is filled, literally FILLED with a huge variety of musical types and tempos, that most will never hear let alone come to appreciate, and why? Because big money wants more big money and there is no BIG money in diversity.

And classical? OMG. From the Gregorian Chant of Hildagaard Von Bingham from what, the 13th century up through the greats and on into the later part of the millinium. PHewww. Try listening, and I mean really listening to a little Mahler and he may just blow your circuits.

I am not trying to dictate tastes here rather just second the thought of Myselfaswell. Should you want a list, I say forget it. There is no list but the list that the Big Money wants you to follow like a drooling dog, and don't forget your pocketbook.

Oh, did I forget to mention Simon and Garfunkel? I'm' such an idiot.

PS, spelling and times may vary.

EDIT. Miles Davis,,,,I'm such an idiot.

edit on 22-7-2014 by TerryMcGuire because: EDIT. Miles Davis,,,,I'm such an idiot.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I really think it all just boils down to a generation type thing which I am a few generations off now. It's just the way it is, it will be there world There world soon and they can figure it out. And in 2-3 genrerations it will be the same thing too.

I bet in the 60's this band was not really ashamed but smug about it.

'Lada da da da.."
Or in the 70's this man used it. Please watch and maybe understand?

edit on 7/22/14 by proob4 because: why is it?

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: CloudsTasteMetallic

You have good taste, my friend.
I'm in a band directly influenced by the Stooges and have brushed shoulders with the Black Angels. 2 other good bands out now: Temples and Tame Impala.
It's a completely different world than the pop scene. Though, Wayne Coyne from the Flaming Lips is trying to bridge the gap between the pop and psych worlds.
But yeah, the likes of Phil Collins and Whitney Houston drove me to listen to listen to older stuff when I was a kid.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: proob4
I really think it all just boils down to a generation type thing which I am a few generations off now. It's just the way it is, it will be there world soon and they can figure it out.

You just reminded me of this great Simpsons quote, where middle-aged Grandpa is talking to teenager Homer:

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it*, and what's *it* seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you too one day..."

But yeah you're right, during our younger years, we're more open-minded in seeking out the new, and tend to emotionally identify with it even later in life, as it brings back memories of the good old days.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ItCameFromOuterSpace

Whoa, a fellow Okie! Right on! Tame Impala is righteous, forgot about them for a sec. Love the FLips, as evidenced by my user-name. What band are you in, I've gigged in Norman and OKC, and stay pretty up to date on who's around. Helen Kelter Skelter is a great up-and-coming local band.

Sorry OP for the thread-drift.

edit on 7222014 by CloudsTasteMetallic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: muse7
I've been listening to a lot of Phil Collins and Whitney Houston recently, it's amazing how much talent they had compared to most artists today. It's a real shame that most people my age (18-24) listen to garbage such as rap. Every day when I'm driving some douche bag has to pull up next to me with rap blasting from his car. It's a real shame that they are listening to that crap when they could be enjoying true musical masterpieces such as "Sussudio", "Another Day in Paradise", or "Don't Lose my Number".

Although I think Phil Collins best work came from his solo career, I still think Genesis made some great music as well. Hits such as "Land of Confusion" and "In Too Deep" are definitely in my Phil Collins collection.

And let's not forget about Whitney, a pop icon with a marvelous and powerful voice.

www.youtube.com...

My parents raised me on classic rock so when I hear the garbage that the dead music industry is pumping out, I shudder. There is a very small amount of current musician I will listen to but most of the "musicians" have 0 talent.

I miss the days of lyrics like:
Stairway to Heaven:
There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway to heaven.
When she gets there she knows, if the stores are all closed
With a word she can get what she came for.
Ooh, ooh, and she's buying a stairway to heaven.

There's a sign on the wall but she wants to be sure
'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings.
In a tree by the brook, there's a songbird who sings,
Sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiven.

Ooh, it makes me wonder,
Ooh, it makes me wonder.

There's a feeling I get when I look to the west,
And my spirit is crying for leaving.
In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees,
And the voices of those who stand looking.

Ooh, it makes me wonder,
Ooh, it really makes me wonder.

And it's whispered that soon, if we all call the tune,
Then the piper will lead us to reason.
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long,
And the forests will echo with laughter.

If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now,
It's just a spring clean for the May queen.
Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on.
And it makes me wonder.

Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know,
The piper's calling you to join him,
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind?

And as we wind on down the road
Our shadows taller than our soul.
There walks a lady we all know
Who shines white light and wants to show
How everything still turns to gold.
And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last.
When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll.

And she's buying a stairway to heaven.

And then there are terrible lyrics like:

Dinosaur- Ke$ha

D-I-N-O-S-A, you are a dinosaur
An O-L-D man, you're just an old man
Hitting on me, what? You need a CAT scan

Old man, why are you staring at me?
Mac on me and my friends, it's kind creepy
You should be prowling around the old folks home
Come on dude, leave us alone

At first we thought that it was kinda ill when
We saw that you were like a billion
And still I'm tryna make a killing
Get back to the museum

That's what you are
You're pretty old

Not long till you're a senior citizen
And you can strut around with that sexy tank of oxygen
Honey, your toupee is falling to your left side
Get up and go, bro, oh wait, you're fossilized

You sit down, buy me a martini
Won't go away my hints aren't sinking
Hey, you say, wanna come with me?
I'm about to barf, seriously?

That's what you are

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Phil Collins is awesome ignore what user myselfaswell said about Phil.

You also get terrible artists like Lana Del Rey who told the Guardian newspaper that she wishes she was “dead already”. Thank goodness Frances Bean Cobain put her in her place “The death of young musicians isn’t something to romanticize,” Cobain wrote on Twitter in a message directed at Del Rey. “I’ll never know my father because he died young and it becomes a desirable feat because people like you think it’s ‘cool.’ Well, it’s f–king not. Embrace life, because you only get one life. The people you mentioned wasted that life. Don’t be one of those people.”

Then you get artists like Tove Lo who sings about staying high so she doesn't have to feel the pain that was caused by her ex breaking up with her.

It's so sad how many artists are glorifying drugs, excessive drinking & partying. No wonder kids these days are so messed up.

*shakes head in disgust*

edit on 22-7-2014 by knoledgeispower because: forgot some code

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Music is subjective, a lot of teens tend to like light fluffy stuff, anything that makes them think of that special someone that they're crushing on that day. From the same-ish era of Whitney Houston and Phil Collins we also had Milli Vanilli and New Kids On The Block. All generations have fluff, talent and substance in music and throughout their whole culture.

I agree subjective, but there is a difficulty with talking about light and fluffy as if.
I'm a musician and I like a whole panorama of music, and it takes musicians to collaborate in music and you might be surprised to learn that the hard stuff and the romantic stuff can and does come from the same people. This video is something like 'light and fluffy' however I like it, and is a very good recording, great harmonies, excellent musicianship, and a lot of work. R.IP. Paul young.

I like this, original rap?

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   

edit on 22-7-2014 by smurfy because: Double.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: muse7
What I find more disturbing is how most young people today listen to "songs" that talk about nothing more but than doing drugs, having sex, and getting drunk.

There are songs from the twenties, thirties and later where they sing about the same things.

All the albums listed by Clouds have songs about sex, drugs and drinking.

If you don't like the music you don't have to listen to it.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Forget that stuff and put your faith in rock n roll.

edit on 22-7-2014 by Fargoth because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join