It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Manned or unmanned AV

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Firstly apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place but I couldnt spot where else to put it.

I really enjoy reading the threads about exotic and mysterious aircraft but I always get a feeling almost of disappointment when I read a thread about some exciting aircraft and find it is UAV. I cant explain it and just wondered how others felt about manned or unmanned aircraft.

Could this be the most frivolous post ever.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: macpdm

Personally I like to hear about the manned aircraft too, it hearkens back to the days of man conquering his surroundings using tools and machines he built to take him there. There's something to a pilot sitting in the belly of a beast that is pushing the limits of endurance and what we take for granted as common.
With that being said though the future is un-manned systems. They will be the machines that are going to be more capable than anything man can pilot in the future and we will see less and less aircraft that have pilots sitting in them.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   

I feel the same way. The military feels that any missions that are dangerous, boring or long a uav is better suited for the jobs.
edit on 22-7-2014 by buddah6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

For me I think you may have just hit the nail on the head my friend.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: buddah6

Yep its completely understandable but I hark back to the "the right stuff" and the pioneers of flight who strapped themselves in and wrestled with the latest machines.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   

With 44+ hour missions becoming a reality now, then unmanned is the way to go for those. It's too much stress to put on the crews, even if they swap crews they're flying for 20+ hours, and in the case of the B-2 crews, with nothing but a chaise lounge to grab a nap on, an hour at a time.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

With 44+ hour missions becoming a reality now, then unmanned is the way to go for those. It's too much stress to put on the crews, even if they swap crews they're flying for 20+ hours, and in the case of the B-2 crews, with nothing but a chaise lounge to grab a nap on, an hour at a time.

And I use to bitch about 6 hour missions. After about 2 hours strapped to a MB seat my legs would go to sleep anyway. I use to dutch roll just to change the pressure points on my butt to get some relief. My observer would bring Car and Driver magazines for our longer ingress and egress to the AO.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   

They had a real problem with crew fatigue when they simmed the first mission, from Whiteman to Yugoslavia and back (they simmed in real time). One day, before the first mission, one of the pilots was at Walmart, and saw a $6 chaise lounge, and a lightbulb went off. They said when those missions were going on, if you walked into the crew locker room, every locker had one of them hanging off it. They'd lay them out in the back of the cockpit, and nap then switch places.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I would have grabbed a bean bag chair, neck pillow, ear plugs and this:

Frankly, its a lot less bulky of a setup than a chaise lounge, and can be stuffed/packed easier. The mask and ear plugs provide darkness and quiet, and you can even blink with that blackout mask. I won't travel without mine!

I also think a bean bag would isolate vibrations from the engines better than four legs.

I guess we just need faster planes!

edit on 22-7-2014 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Interesting to think how this would have effected the Falklands conflict with the Vulcans flying at the absolute limit & beyond the fuel & endurance to bomb the runways.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Anytime I see the Falkland Islands mentioned, I think of this.

It's a trigger mechanism.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

never heard that before

top topics

join