It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How you're being duped by Russia - step by step

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
This TIME article goes in-depth about the Ukraine MH17 crash, and how the Russian media is using propaganda.

Russian Television Under Spotlight After Malaysia Airlines Crash in Ukraine (title)

Since a Malaysian jetliner crashed in a wheat field in eastern Ukraine last week, RT’s pro-Putin packaging has been exposed in grim detail. In the aftermath of the tragedy, which killed all 298 souls on board, the outlet—like the rest of Russian state media—has seemed as if it were reporting on an entirely different crime. As the international media published reports indicating the plane was shot down by pro-Russian separatists, RT has suggested Ukraine was responsible, cast Moscow as a scapegoat and bemoaned the insensitivity of outlets focusing on the geopolitical consequences of the crime.

“The media in Russia are expected to be mouthpieces for power,” says Sarah Oates, a professor of journalism at the University of Maryland who studies the Russian media. “RT follows this model. They’ll mix a little bit of reality with a little bit of smearing, and they’ll steer the viewer into questioning things.”

“What they do is a very smart, slick way of manipulating reality,” she says. “In Ukraine, you’re taking a very small part of a much wider story, totally omitted the context of the story, and so what you wind up with on air is outright misinformation.”

The site, Stopfake.org, features a long menu of whoppers from Russian media. Among the most egregious, the group’s founder told TIME, is the case of a blond actress who has cropped up in different roles over the course of conflict. The actress, Maria Tsypko, has been interviewed on state TV and identified as separatist camp organizer in Odessa, a political refugee in Sevastopol and an election monitor in Crimea, according to the site. The only thing that never changes is her affection for Mother Russia.

This article is well worth reading. If you're looking for a conspiracy theory to dupe the world, look no further. Mother Russia has your back. Sadly, Russia media is duping a lot of people. Just say no. Don't be duped.

link to article

edit on PMMon, 21 Jul 2014 23:12:12 -0500America/Chicago1406002332K1221127 by AreUKiddingMe because: added link

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Nothing new .. everyone uses propaganda .. look between the lies put out by both sides ..

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Much like the media here in the states does/is doing? Tell me something new.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: AreUKiddingMe
This TIME article goes in-depth about the Ukraine MH17 crash, and how the Russian media is using propaganda.

Russian Television Under Spotlight After Malaysia Airlines Crash in Ukraine (title)

Since a Malaysian jetliner crashed in a wheat field in eastern Ukraine last week, RT’s pro-Putin packaging has been exposed in grim detail. In the aftermath of the tragedy, which killed all 298 souls on board, the outlet—like the rest of Russian state media—has seemed as if it were reporting on an entirely different crime. As the international media published reports indicating the plane was shot down by pro-Russian separatists, RT has suggested Ukraine was responsible, cast Moscow as a scapegoat and bemoaned the insensitivity of outlets focusing on the geopolitical consequences of the crime.

Pot meet keetle. Have you noticed the spin on American TV LOL. It's all propaganda.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 7/21.2014 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: AreUKiddingMe

Can someone explain why the Russians would either 1.shoot down the plane 2. know the rebels shot down the plane and cover for them? What do they have to gain from either scenario?

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   
So Russia uses the exact same tactics as the United States vis a vis propaganda? Including crisis actors?

Shocker.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   
The US government is using propaganda more than Russia is on this issue. But we should all know this already. How many Snowdens do we need to open our eyes. The Ukraine is flowing with propaganda and political misconceptions. That is what happens when puppets are put in charge instead of leaders.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   
RT, Russia Today is little more, often less, than a Russian version of CNN, with regards 24/7 news 'coverage'.

the biggest difference between the two, for me, is that RT is a state-owned/funded venture, whereas CNN is at least somewhat based upon free-market capitalism, etc.

both spread crap. cnn just has to base theirs upon market shares, polls, court of public opinion and the like

RT is nothing more than the propaganda arm of the russian gov't.

I, personally, often times find myself rather perplexed at the number/ amount of ATS members who seem to give more creedence/credit to RT, as if they're any different or more forthcoming with the 'truth' than any other MSM outlet.

If anything they're far worse, as they're always going to be somewhat slanted against the US in any given situation.

Why!?

well... the obvious would seem obvious.

if I can steer/guide the minds of a populace that is also my 'opponent', then why wouldn't I try to steer/guide them to distrust their own and believe in me.

it often reminds me of Israel's 'by way of deception, we shall wage war" decree., if you will

????
edit on 7/21/2014 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   
You should see the news in Canada right now. Israel has the right to this, Russia is responsible for that. I am so glad I live in the west were we can enjoy our news propaganda free.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   

The leader of Ukraine openly stated that this conflict is a "global conflict". I think he made his intentions clear. It seems to me that Ukraine had more to gain by shooting the plane down and pinning it on Russia. I remain neutral. Its not anyone else's business. What do you expect to happen when you fly over a war zone? Its like Malasia was asking for another controversy. Seriously, its like everyone is trying to find a reason to become politically polarized. We all know where this is going. Why are we going to let these jackasses drag us into WW3?

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: 12m8keall2c

I will take state-owned over corporate-owned. It is sort of a no brainer. I think PBS is the only informative station the US has left. Most US networks are at war with Americans health and best interests. Information shoulf be slave to the common tax payer, not to the biggest cheque-book.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

Let's see...Russian backed troops...Russian trained....Russian weaponry...Russian media spin...refusal to allow access to bodies and parts of the plane by the Russian-backed rebels...in UKRAINE. The rebels were poorly trained and possibly drunk, and so I can give them the benefit of the doubt that it was an accident. Hopefully an international investigation will shed more light on it.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: MALBOSIA

PBS is my favorite too. But it's not state owned. At least as far as I know.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   

a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

Let's see...Russian backed troops...Russian trained....Russian weaponry...Russian media spin...refusal to allow access to bodies and parts of the plane by the Russian-backed rebels...in UKRAINE. The rebels were poorly trained and possibly drunk, and so I can give them the benefit of the doubt that it was an accident. Hopefully an international investigation will shed more light on it.

It is funny how they investigators are not allowed on the scene but the entire narrative is already stamped permanently in peoples minds before any investigation jas been even attempted. Just like 9/11, just like Sandy Hook. Who needs investigations any more. News anchors and credentials know everything you need to know.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   

PBS is my favorite too. But it's not state owned. At least as far as I know.

It is a non-profit public broadcast.

As per WIKI

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   

It is funny how they investigators are not allowed on the scene but the entire narrative is already stamped permanently in peoples minds before any investigation jas been even attempted. Just like 9/11, just like Sandy Hook. Who needs investigations any more. News anchors and credentials know everything you need to know about

I think that has set the stage for our future response. Not even one day passed, and Obama was already screaming "sanction". Russia is guilty until proven innocent in the eyes of the media. Well, the truth is, that Russia doesnt answer to the US, UN, or anyone else. Like I said, this is between Russia, Ukraine, and Malasia. If we turn it into a global issue, we surrender that mich more authority to the UN.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   
The strange thing is that though everyone uses propaganda, here on ATS, there are so many who are favoring the Russian propaganda. Why? Because it took them an extra day to get all their propaganda in order?

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Go home OP. Have you not seen all the damning evidence that has came out today? /Facepalm.

Yes Russia uses propaganda. But so do we. And the fact of the matter is ours is worse.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 12:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
The strange thing is that though everyone uses propaganda, here on ATS, there are so many who are favoring the Russian propaganda. Why? Because it took them an extra day to get all their propaganda in order?

Lol. That could be. It's all about the prep work.

If the propaganda wasn't so strong maybe ATS wouldnt have so many members.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   
People can't really understand the difference between communist propaganda and other countries's propaganda.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join