It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want to learn the violin and need suggestions on a beginner instrument.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
My husband is always telling me to find a hobby besides cooking. Lol I would love to paint but it's just too expensive and I don't have a room to dedicate to it like I use to. I love music and play clarinet so I can read music no problem. I've always found the violin to be a beautiful sounding instrument. So I decided I want to learn how to play it. We have many local play groups that I could join in the future. I always loved playing my clarinet so I'm sure I'd enjoy this.

I however have no idea what I'm looking at when it comes to what to purchase for a first timer learning. A any suggestions would be great!

I think my son will even like it! He loves when I take out the clarinet and play. Rosco my dog however hates it and growls lol so maybe he will like this.

Thanks

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

I would love to play the violin as well. My suggestion is to choose a beginner instrument that has decent reviews and isn't too pricey. That way you haven't dropped a huge amount of money at first if you end up not loving it. You can always upgrade later.

I got one on amazon for around $200, I found a guy on youtube that reviewed it, and he made it sound pretty good for a beginner instrument. Really amazing sounding ones get really pricey really fast!

Oh, and for the record, I still haven't learned to play mine, lol. I started teaching myself some of the basics using youtube videos... I think I'm the kind of person who would need actual lessons.

Good Luck!

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I just started to learn the guitar, i would imagine (correct me if this is make believe bullsnot, any violin pros out there) But i would imagine its close.

So far its been fairly easy, im not good enough to play and remember cords, but pinking out a few tunes is pretty easy to get started - once you know where the notes are roughly, you can work out songs on your own.

The sheet music stage is the bit that im worried about
But i have a good teacher.

EDIT: i forgot to mention, a smaller guitar is cheap as heck and works just fine, that was kinda the point of my post and forgot to actually mention it!!! ha! Im stupid. Maybe just ignore me.

edit on b3939956 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
My first advice, as a seasoned musician, is to get a good instrument. There are few things that discourage musical development more than a poor instrument. A good violin may cost a little more, but a piece of junk will just be an unplayable waste of money. It doesn't have to be a Stradivarius. Read some reviews. I've been thinking about picking up the fiddle myself. I think I've got the guitar and harmonica down. I'm actually gravitating towards a pedal steel, but a good one is high dollar.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Hey Mblah, glad to hear you're getting back into the music.

I'd be more than happy to dedicate some time towards finding you the perfect violin that meets your price range.
Of course, first I'll need to know what that is!

Are you looking for a purely entry level violin? If so I can come up with some faster suggestions.

When purchasing any acoustic instrument, it's important to note that not only do 'more expensive' instruments sound better, but they are generally much easier to play.

Lemme know and I'll be sure to get back to you.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

I 2nd that.
I used to play the violin at school so last year I picked up a 80 quid one of the net and it goes out of tune quickly the bow I had to throw away it was just rubbish. I wish I spent an extra 50 quid to get a better one.
Plus a tip get the best bow wax you can get, it will make you sound better and play better.

Oh and I still can't play my dear old mum has hidden the new one because she says she put up with it when I was a kid but not now.
Oh well I have my eye on a new drum kit

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
My first advice, as a seasoned musician, is to get a good instrument. There are few things that discourage musical development more than a poor instrument. A good violin may cost a little more, but a piece of junk will just be an unplayable waste of money. It doesn't have to be a Stradivarius. Read some reviews. I've been thinking about picking up the fiddle myself. I think I've got the guitar and harmonica down. I'm actually gravitating towards a pedal steel, but a good one is high dollar.

\i second this...I dont play a violin but i have dabbled in about everything...its worth the investment...you can kind of get by with some cheaper instruments depending on what you want to play like...ive seen some guitars that are 150 and sound pretty damn good but still my guitar that cost 1000 is amazingly better. Id imagine in the violin world they don't have cheap good sounding violins..and its not just the sound...its will the wood warp, are the strings junk..etc. When I take on a hobby I go big haha....so my advice is to find the best you can afford...it helps you get more into too when you invested some money and time into the hobby. Good luck...music is about the only thing I enjoy any more on this planet.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   

What skunkape said and ... not everyone can play a violin. It's a tone thing specific to orchestral stringed instruments. Do yourself a favor and take one lesson from a very good instructor. He'll probably have an instrument you can borrow, can tell you if your ears are good, and probably recommend both an instrument and where you can find the best deal in town.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I spent over a year shopping for my ideal guitar. I ended up paying about $1500, very fair price, to have one custom built to my specs. I sleep with it some nights when I'm lonely.

edit on 21-7-2014 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-7-2014 by skunkape23 because: add

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Oh and good luck OP it is a great instrument when you get the hang of it hard hard work Oh and this thread has made me remember my favourite word ever.

Pizzicato.

en.wikipedia.org...

Just love the sound of that word.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

I was thinking of staying at or under $300. I don't mind a used one either but even then I don't know what is good and what isn't. I've read reviews but they don't really tell me much since of those only cost $70!

I don't know the brands and who to stay away from or what kind of bow to have, that is my reason for posting this, hopefully to find someone who plays that can offer suggestions.

Thanks and good luck!!

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

My first advice, as a seasoned musician, is to get a good instrument. There are few things that discourage musical development more than a poor instrument. A good violin may cost a little more, but a piece of junk will just be an unplayable waste of money.

This is so true. Been playing guitar/bass/mandolin for half my life now. A quality instrument makes a world of difference. Recently decided to take up drums as well, but.. i am rather fond of my old beat up cheap-o kit (well, other than the crap cheap cymbals it came with). New heads and proper tuning brought them to life.

I found violin very challenging the few times i've picked one up. That neck is tiny! Habits developed in playing only fretted instruments probably didn't help though.

@mblahnikluver, you mention there are local groups around? I'd highly recommend introducing yourself to some locals who have experience and express your desire to learn. Someone should be more than happy to assist you in shopping for an instrument, and letting you know what to look for/avoid.

Personally, when it comes to buying guitars, I'll try a bunch out until I find the one that just feels right. Some have mojo, and some don't, even if they look identical to the eye.

Not sure how much this would affect violin in comparison to fretted instruments, but a proper "set-up" job from an experienced music store should make a massive difference in playability/tone.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   

:O

*drool*

Even though I had a bad experience with a Bigsby once on an Epiphone Rivera.... Thats one slick gee-tar.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: ThinkingCap

Hey TC! Long time no chat
Hope all is well with you!

I will spend up to $300. I have a couple months to look and get ideas so it's nothing i"m buying immediately. I get some play money in October and I decided to do something for me for once!

I don't mind used either.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Thanks for the tip on the bow. I would never have thought of wax!

HAHA Yea my mom made us practice outside when we were in school. My sister started out with the Oboe and well that sounded like a duck being tortured in the beginning. I played clarinet and bass clarinet for 10yrs. I just picked it back up in the last year and love it but I want to learn something new.

Thanks

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: CloudsTasteMetallic

:O

*drool*

Even though I had a bad experience with a Bigsby once on an Epiphone Rivera.... Thats one slick gee-tar.

Roller pins on the bridge, graphite nut, locking tuners, ebony neck set all the way to the tail. You could play baseball with this axe and not throw it out of tune. Huge tip of the hat to Joe Naylor.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver

I was thinking of staying at or under $300. I don't mind a used one either but even then I don't know what is good and what isn't. I've read reviews but they don't really tell me much since of those only cost $70!

I don't know the brands and who to stay away from or what kind of bow to have, that is my reason for posting this, hopefully to find someone who plays that can offer suggestions.

Thanks and good luck!!

A $300 violin will probably be made in China and be unplayable junk. Rent to own a good European model.

www.nationalfiddlerhalloffame.org...

I bought a Chinese Stand up bass and it collapsed on itself in 6 mos. Replaced it with a Belgium made bass, and 10 years later it plays and sounds better than new.
edit on 21-7-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I always like picking up music instruments and messing around with them. I saw a tv episode, I forget what show, and saw a blue violin. I googled it and bought one immediately. It only cost $50 and it holds a note well. It's a good beginner instrument. As long as it's a 4/4 you should be fine with any beginner violin imo.
Blue Violin

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChefSlug
I always like picking up music instruments and messing around with them. I saw a tv episode, I forget what show, and saw a blue violin. I googled it and bought one immediately. It only cost $50 and it holds a note well. It's a good beginner instrument. As long as it's a 4/4 you should be fine with any beginner violin imo.
Blue Violin

The longer i look at it and the price tag the more im tempted - if it sucks, or i suck with it, i can just hang it on the wall!!!!

I'd pay more than that for a nice picture!

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

What skunkape said and ... not everyone can play a violin. It's a tone thing specific to orchestral stringed instruments. Do yourself a favor and take one lesson from a very good instructor. He'll probably have an instrument you can borrow, can tell you if your ears are good, and probably recommend both an instrument and where you can find the best deal in town.

I don't think I will have a problem with the violin personally. I have a great ear and was always very good at just playing by ear. I know they are very different instruments but music has always been something I enjoyed and worked hard at. It's been in my life for as long as I can remember. I always wanted to play the violin but for whatever reason I wasn't able to in school. I dont remember why, but it may have been the cost or we didn't have a string section.

There are quite a few local places here that have been around for years that teach lessons and many will come to your home for lessons. I will definitely take some lessons to get myself started and then go on my own from there and take lessons here and there when I can and need it. I'd like to join up eventually with one of the local groups that plays around town. I always wanted to do that with my clarinet but not many of these groups call for clarinet players!

I don't want to borrow anyones instrument to be honest. I know I would not let someone use mine so I would not feel comfortable asking to use someone else's. I want to purchase my own and have no problem doing that.

I actually spoke to my cousin who I completely forgot played violin. He has been helpful as well. He too suggested spending more to get something decent which is not a problem. I'd rather have something decent to start with than crap and have a horrible time with it.

Music runs on both sides of my family and my son even at 13 months just loves the sound of music! I think he will enjoy it as well. I played some violin music last night for him to see what he would do and he started swaying back and forth and smiling. It was cute.

Thank you!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join