It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Product Placement And The Worst Film Ive Seen In A Long Time.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 05:06 AM
link   
So, me and a friend decided as part of a lazy Sunday we would rock up to a cinema and see the next film showing. Just so happens that the film was the new transformer's movie - Age of extinction? Okay, robots that protect human's save the world la de da, cant be that bad.

The first thing that makes this a bad move is the product placements. Bud light, Chevrolet, Victoria's secret, Armani, Chinese water/milk, Gucci glasses. All of them getting their little moment of air time. There's nothing really wrong with product placement as long as its just here and there... not every damn scene in the movie. We didn't pay to watch advertisements, we paid to watch a crap movie!

Onto the movie itself.
W.O.W - What a hunk of Sh!t. I'll be honest, we only stayed in the hope that it would get better. It didn't.

The movie is built around a texas inventor with a stunningly hot daughter who's entire wardrobe consists of only revealing clothing (Shorts that dont go anywhere near the middle of the thigh and tops that consistent's reveal her cleavage, jail bait anyone?) She has the lead female role and is portrayed as a delicate flower who can only cry herself through the whole damn movie while her dad and her race driver boyfriend ally with the auto-bots and take on the US government/other enemies. She cries so much that by the end of the film her eyes are bloodshot red.
Now, her boyfriend as ive said is a year 20 year old professional race car driver - Who will more than likely be surrounded by hot women because of his profession but dont worry, he's totally committed to the helpless texas blonde because their love is written in the star's or some #. Its all very believable..

The autobot's themselves are getting picked off one by one but there's a group of male autobot's left that eventually save the entire world. You'll notice i used the word male there. Why am i pointing that out?
Transformer's is definitely a product that is geared towards attracting young boy's, to some extent it is a "Boy's toy" - however, considering the lead female in this movie is an emotional bint (How she survives in the first 90 mins is definitely because of the men she is surrounded by) You would think they would throw in some sassy female auto-bot to counter balance the dumb blonde that has irritated the # out of me. No.
It seem's to me that only men and robot men can # everything up and save the day. The only role's women play in this film are:

1) Helpless blonde who cannot afford clothes that cover her adequately.
2) 2nd blonde who ask's questions to lead male character because she to dumb to work out anything for herself.
3) Chinese brunette who play's smart secretary to evil white greedy american man while holding back her soft tender love for him (obvs)

This film is pretty clear in its message.
THANK YOU AVERAGE MALE AMERIKAN CITIZEN FOR SAVING THE WORLD AGAIN!

U IZ BEST.

Wanna save some money? Dont see this movie.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Lmao .. isnt that all movies that do that ..

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Just wait until you see the movie Sabotage (2014)

If that ain't sponsored by the National Rifle Association, i don't know what is..
The overall message of the movie "Gun solves everything!" *puke*

Sad to see Arnold stomping around with his big a$$ cigar, and his huge guns, mumbling what appears to be some kind of wise-guy remarks... its rather pathetic.

But hey, i guesss we are all whores, all that's left is "how much" ?

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 05:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888

Probably, Hollywood need's a change of culture i think.

I believe CGI has made lazy movie directors. Like people wont notice how bad the script is if there is enough product placement, semi-naked blonde's and violent scenes.

You would need a lobotomy to enjoy this film!

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: SearchLightsInc

Well, I have been keeping away from the Transformers movies because I loathe Shia Lebouf or whatever his pathetic, whining, gormless, creep of a name is. I was hoping that escaping the blight that is that stunted excuse for an actor, would have lead this franchise out into something approaching the light.

I am disappointed to hear that your experience of the new movie was so poor, and from the sounds of it, the film seems to be one of those which inspires sentiment like:

"I want to bleach my eyeballs."
"Can someone direct me to the nearest tall building?"
"Who directed this movie?... I see, and where do they live?..."
"I am never going to the movies again. The motion picture is dead to me!"

I will avoid it, and will remember this wonderful service you have done me, by alerting me to this heresy against both the Transformers as an idea (which is awesome, but has been bastardised into irrelevance) and indeed the entire art of making films.

Your sacrifice will not be forgotten.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Long suspected one would need a lobotomy to watch most movies these days .. going by movie posters that seen at cinemas over the years seems most hollywood movies are all gratuitous violence .. explosions and propaganda pieces..

Last film saw was several years ago a japanese movie about a philosophical shinigami pondering humanities greatest achievement ..

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Havent seen this one but the previous Transformer movies came off like recruitment ads glorifying the US military...

edit on 21-7-2014 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   
The last half decent movie was Avatar.

Before that, um ..... may have had John Wayne in it.

Even the much hyped movies are just remakes of remakes.

Take Star Wars, it really was just Sir Ivanhoe, rescues the Princess, learns a bit, beats the bad guys. Perhaps a few overtures of The Seven Samurai thrown in. AKA (the remake - stolen by Hollywood - The Magnificent Seven)

What happened to good movies, it has been years.

P

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Urgh.. I hate transformers. Stupid Bay ruined a cartoon I loved as a kid. Grrr. This video pretty much captures all my hate and rage.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 06:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888

Nope... Just the popular mainstream sheeple ones.
I've seen tons of great movies that many people have probably never heard of.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 06:33 AM
link   
They spent a truck load of dollars developing and creating the digital assets for the first film. Now it is in the can. They can crank these films out like a Play Dough fun factory. Yes, it is pure crap. Yes, it is profitable as long as people pay to watch it.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 06:37 AM
link   
It certainly was not a movie I wanted to see, yet a few mates invited me and dutifully I rocked.

I cant add any more your coverage of that movie was nigh my sentiments exactly.

Oh woeful dribble, still a fun night with mates.

Now they want to see Hercules, are you kidding me!

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: borntowatch

Now that is a turd hung precariously over the pan of popular opinion, if ever there was one.

Most crap movies have adverts which extoll the highest virtues of the film, while hiding its inadequacies. It seems to me that where Hercules is concerned, one must assume that either the marketing department are ham fisted morons (possible, but unlikely), or the movie is so terrible, that as unlikely as it may seem, the shots from the film which feature in its advertising, are the woeful best that it has to offer.

In either case, I think I would rather floss my body cavity from entrance to exit using razor wire, than watch that film at all, let alone pay over the odds for a seat and some poor quality refreshments for the privilege!

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   
While I enjoyed the first Transformers movie I absolutely refused to pay to see the second or third ones and I only downloaded the bluray's of them cause I have an issue with wanting to collect EVERYTHING it seems... Anyway, I never did have any intention of watching the second and third films but I did one night because a girl I was dating loved them (yea, it didn't get past week 3) and because of those 2 movies I have been forever turned off from wanting to watch anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

That being said, I have been a TMNT freak since I was a child and I remember watching the premier of the first episode of the cartoon all those years ago and have been hooked ever since, so I will be going to the premier of the new movie knowing in my heart it will most likely be another Michael Bay crap-fest.

One thing I absolutely wish is that someone would take to Kick-starter and raise funds to make Transformers, TMNT, He-Man, Captain Planet and Dino Riders movies specifically for us older fans who grew up watching those shows. Longtime hardcore fans who care about the story and the origins being involved 100% in all aspects of the movie making process? THAT'S what will make good movies.
edit on AMMon, 21 Jul 2014 07:40:29 -050007am21amMondayMonday by Armadall because: my brain forgot how to spell "planet" this morning...

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Armadall
While I enjoyed the first Transformers movie I absolutely refused to pay to see the second or third ones and I only downloaded the bluray's of them cause I have an issue with wanting to collect EVERYTHING it seems... Anyway, I never did have any intention of watching the second and third films but I did one night because a girl I was dating loved them (yea, it didn't get past week 3) and because of those 2 movies I have been forever turned off from wanting to watch anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

That being said, I have been a TMNT freak since I was a child and I remember watching the premier of the first episode of the cartoon all those years ago and have been hooked ever since, so I will be going to the premier of the new movie knowing in my heart it will most likely be another Michael Bay crap-fest.

One thing I absolutely wish is that someone would take to Kick-starter and raise funds to make Transformers, TMNT, He-Man, Captain Planet and Dino Riders movies specifically for us older fans who grew up watching those shows. Longtime hardcore fans who care about the story and the origins being involved 100% in all aspects of the movie making process? THAT'S what will make good movies.

Omg Captain Planet was amazing!! No one else I know seems to remember it!!

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   

The sad fact is that it's not even subtle.

I don't tell a campfire story and suddenly blurt out 'JUST DO IT' or dangle a quarter pounder in front of the audience while I'm at the crucial point of the narration.

And I've heard enough about the transformers movies-I watched the first one and it punched me right in the childhood. The only reason Bumblebee was changed from a Volkswagen beetle to a Mustang because by sheer coincidence the new line of Mustangs was being launched not long after the movie was released. 10 yard penalty-Michael Bay-fourth down.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Transformers. Haven't seen any of the movies. Don't want to either.

Product placement? Yep ... I first noticed it back in the mid 1980s with Back to the Future. I don't mind it. I know it helps with the films budget and when we see it we always chuckle and wonder how much the company paid for the placement. It's like a 'find waldo' game for us ... 'find the product placement'.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Almost all films have blatant product placement these days. Helps to pay for the film, but ridiculous when in situations one would not normally find the product for sure.

Anyway, I wanted to mention the new ET film Earth to ECHO

I just wanted to warn everyone, if you have even the littlest bit of motion sickness, don't go.

It is filmed like Blair Witch, only the previews don't indicate that.

I had to close my eyes during more than 1/2 of it or risk getting sick to my stomach. Even my hubby who never gets motion sick was queasy by the end of the movie.

Too bad, the kids were good actors, the storyline cute for everyone, it would have been a great little family movie if not for the cinematography.

edit on 21-7-2014 by grandmakdw because: sp

edit on 21-7-2014 by grandmakdw because: format

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
So, why don't you tell us what you really think Mr. Lynch.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
It's like a 'find waldo' game for us ... 'find the product placement'.

Finding Waldo is much tougher. If Hollywood producers illustrated 'where's Waldo?' he'd take up half the page and would be chugging on a Pepsi, and his delightful attire would be replaced by a Hard Rock Cafe T shirt.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join