It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Edit Feature: Edited

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I can't edit my posts anymore.....

You mean people really have to see how bad of a speller I am now?!

I'm assuming this is just temporary...

[edit on 12/2/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
And no sooner do I ask than it's back...

Mods can delete this - sorry - Thought I stumbeled onto something big here...."Next time..."

I know, I know...U2U....

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Okay...well - It's in some forums and not in others now....

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   
New feature, numerous reasons. The edit button is "on" for two hours after you create your post... which should be plenty of time to review spelling and make improvements.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
New feature, numerous reasons.

The edit button is "on" for two hours after you create your post... which should be plenty of time to review spelling and make improvements.

You should put a timer on it to let people know. They have this feature of at www.worldofwarcraft.com forums.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Interesting....Okay - That would make sense...Thanks SO!

So if I said something two hours ago that makes me sound like I don't now what I'm talking about, I just have to live with it....Okay - not a problem - I'll get used to it...or ya'll will just have to

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   
While I cannot begin to estimate how many times I have used the edit feature for lily-gilding (how do you spell "demagogue"?), I am happy to see a time limitation on edits.

It keeps us honest, even if our ethics do not.

Damn, I am sounding way too much like a cheerleader these days. So, um, hey, um, ATS suxxors! Yeah, take that!

Edit: "Begin" is not spelled "Being". Note to self....

[edit on 12/2/2004 by Majic]

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   
yeah, i noticed that. good call. the limits a nice addition, no tweaking of past events.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Will it be put on a time limit on ATSNN, or can you only edit until your article has been upgraded? I noticed this earlier today and luckily I caught my spelling error before it got upgraded.

BTW: You guys sure are on the ball with getting things upgraded!

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Yes that is exactly it! People want control over their computing, and it appears more like the strategy of a netnanny than anything else, to remove editing features that have been part of the "abovetopsecret." experience.

I don't know about anyone else, but if you are going to remove user control, put a spell checker and another server in here to handle it. Why mess with success?
In other words think about it, in the olden days people would sometimes have second thoughts about sending their letters, maybe they were too harsh. In the modern blogging paradise, you should always have the right to withdraw what you have said.

In this day and age a change of mind and heart may be vital, and a process of continuous self improvement should not be suspended at any time. People may wish to add that one better thought to their posts. Consider a post final after a year or something, but two hours? Please give us back our editorial control over our own posts.

Thank you

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Ok, it may be nice and fine but for somebody like me is going to be harship on my posting after all I am one of those that english is not my first language and I sometimes notice my spelling errors later on (more that two hours)

I feel that I have been put to the test now.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   
with the old system, there was a lot of room for deception. i dont know how widespread it was, but you could easily change what you had written in order to put a different spin on things. you could flame something, and then edit your post to make it mild mannered and not get the warn/ban. you could alter what you said to make someone look stupid. you could do all sorts of thing. its good to look over what you wrote, and make sure its a godo post. if you notice a spelling error, go ahead, change it, the odds are if you miss one the point will get across.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Ok, it may be nice and fine but for somebody like me is going to be harship on my posting after all I am one of those that english is not my first language and I sometimes notice my spelling errors later on (more that two hours)

I feel that I have been put to the test now.

I know what you mean marg English is the only language I know and I screw it up all the time. I mean there, their, they�re might be different reasons to, too, two .ya no, know.

[edit on 5/12/2004 by Sauron]

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Well, this is the first change in ATS board business I can't cheer about.

I guess I understand it. I can see that some people edit after the fact to spin things, and not make corrections or legit additions.
I know many boards use timers and some don't allow editing at all.

Too bad that this has to be done, IMO. Sometimes I think of something I wanted to say after the fact *sigh* like the next day.
Now I'll have to quote myself and make another reply. Oh well.

LL1

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
And now with Professor GeneralDilemma critiquing our posts....
and no way to edit in the there after.
I guess the U2U's will be going out on the grammar corrections???

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I hear ATS v4.5 will have the infamous paperclip assistant tag along and make automatic corrections for you....

"Are you flaming somone?"

1. Would you like to see an example of a flame?
  2. Do you need help spelling four letter words?
  3. YOu might get banned for that one. Let me help!
  4. Leave me the f--- alone!

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   
ROFLMAO
I just love microsoft clippy...he cracks me up. Can't wait for this addition

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
I hear ATS v4.5 will have the infamous paperclip assistant tag along and make automatic corrections for you....

i hate that guy! replace it with SO and im sold.

ANIMATE!

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   
There is a spell checker here that you can use, works great...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Its been proevn taht you can wrtie any way you lkie as long as the frist and lsat lettres are in the rghit place. This is becsaue the mind jupms over
the rest. We sitll recgoinse the corerct words!

NOTE: This may not apply to those suffering dislexia!

Personally i wish there wasnt a time limit on the edit feature, only because im embarressed by spelling mistakes much later that i failed to notice.
Folk being deceptive are not really saved by the edit feature anyway since with 28,00 users, sombody knows what was really written. jmho

[edit on 5-12-2004 by instar]

Doh! see, like that, should be 28,000 users!

[edit on 5-12-2004 by instar]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join