It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

James Garner Dead at 86.. Sad..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
James Garner has passed to the great beyond..

James Garner, a ruggedly handsome and disarming leading man of film and television who was best known for his series “Maverick” and “The Rockford Files” and who delivered compelling portrayals of wartime cowards, alcoholics and self-centered tycoons, died July 19 at his home in Los Angeles. He was 86.

Los Angeles police confirmed the death to the Associated Press. No immediate cause was reported, but he had a stroke a few years ago.

Washington Post

I remember watching the Rockford Files for years..

Great actor..

He will be missed

Semper

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

He was 86??? wow, I did not think he was that old.

It's sad news but at least he had a long a rich life-he was in his prime long before my time but I did manage to see of some his movies, and I was lucky enough to catch the Rockford files repeats when I got home from work.

edit on 20-7-2014 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-7-2014 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Darn ! He was one of my faves . Rockford files - Brett Maverick - support your local sheriff / gunfighter .

RIP James Garner.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Awe I liked him. I didn't know he was 86 though!

Of course my favorite movie of his is "The Notebook" where he played the older Noah.

I don't remember much of his movies because he was obviously big when I was younger.

He seemed have a very successful career and life.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

Try Victor/Victoria. That's one funny movie.

I'll miss him. Good actor.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Checked IMDB for some I may have forgotten. Tank was pretty good but you gotta see Skin Game. Good movie.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
And for all you “Gear-heads”, lets us not forget Mr. Garner’s contribution to the world of Stunt Driving: the “Rockford”, a reverse J-turn that has become a staple of cinematic car-chase scenes, and a rather nifty way of eluding the “baddies” who have blocked the road with presumed ill-intent

Rest In Peace, Jim.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
He was a great actor, I always liked him. He was great in the Rockford Files and many other tv shows and movies. Loved his character in the Notebook too. ~$heopleNation

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I can't believe no one's mentioned The Great Escape.

Very memorable performance looking after the blind Donald Pleasance character.

And of course The Rockford Files which I watched in the 70s/80s; though, I have to say, not with any great interest.

Sad? Dunno.

He was 86. It's a life.

What do you say?

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Oh this is so sad.. my Dad will be mortified. Jim Garner was what my dad considered a "Man's man" (whatever that means).

I can't remember one movie or TV program he was in that I didn't think he did a superb job in. Even as the original TV Maverick to playing an elder Maverick to Mel Gibson's movie version was good. And in the Afternoon, Pop never missed an episode of the Rockford files.

Yep, not looking forward to telling him that James has passed away (my Dad is several years older)...

RIP James Garner

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley

Sad? Dunno.

He was 86. It's a life.

What do you say?

Yes, he was good in the Great Escape, love that one. Remember the movie where he was in the Army, and he stole a tank with the hooker in it?

Yeah but I believe anything over 80 is a good life. ~$heopleNation

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Awww... bummer... but well paid, famous -but not too, massively beloved... brought joy to many... could be much worse.

I know my obituary will be forgotten in the frenzy over the headlines that immortality has just been discovered.

top topics

join