It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

520 Million Year Old Sea Monster Unearthed

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   

The extremely well preserved fossil remains of an ancient shrimp-like predator have been discovered.

The fossilized Lyrarapax unguispinus was unearthed in China and exhibited a level of preservation so impressive that even its brain and nervous system could still be identified.

Part of a group of shrimp-like creatures known as anomalocaridids, Lyrarapax would have preyed upon the inhabitants of the Cambrian seas with its deadly cone-shaped mouth and bladed body armor.

While not particularly large by today's standards at just 6 inches long, the species would have nonetheless proven highly effective in the prehistoric oceans.

The anomalocaridids are believed to have thrived until the end of the Paleozoic Era by which point they had gone extinct around 251 million years ago.

Source: www.unexplained-mysteries.com...

What a discovery! They were lucky to find this fossilized creature in such great condition.
But what a pot ugly creature it is...sorry, I don't have much to add, just wanted to share this article.

Closest relatives

Based on its brain, which lacks some of the characteristic features found in chelicerates, the creature likely shared more similarities with a group known as velvet worms, Cong said.

Source: www.huffingtonpost.com...

3rd Source: www.nbcnews.com...

edit on 20/7/2014 by Rainbowresidue because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I think I went to school with that chick.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23

Hahaha, good one.

It reminded me of the movie Aliens.
This thing looks so alien to me, then again I've seen many deep sea creatures that looked alien like.
Different living conditions I suppose.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Imagine one of them little suckers biting into you as you take a dip in the ancient Cambrian seas. At only 6 inches in length I wonder what it preyed upon with its cone-shaped mouth. The armor I can of course understand.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rainbowresidue

originally posted by: skunkape23

It reminded me of the movie Aliens.
This thing looks so alien to me, then again I've seen many deep sea creatures that looked alien like.
Different living conditions I suppose.

Well interestingly enough two or three locations hold some very unique and exotic creatures, tropical rain forests, oceans and isolated islands.

What do they all have in common?

No humans! Not to say there isn't human impact to these locations, certainly there is but wherever we aren't natures beauty will be.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate
Imagine one of them little suckers biting into you as you take a dip in the ancient Cambrian seas. At only 6 inches in length I wonder what it preyed upon with its cone-shaped mouth. The armor I can of course understand.

Oh,I'd rather not imagine.

I think those sharp teeth could have done some real damage.
And armor!
This creature was well equipped.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Rainbowresidue

The fossilized Lyrarapax unguispinus was unearthed in China and exhibited a level of preservation so impressive that even its brain and nervous system could still be identified.

The word impressive does not do it justice, this creature was a precursor to many lifeforms we see today and to find a fossil in such a state of preservation would be a huge find and could shed light onto the evolution of life on Earth.

However there is another feat that would be equally impressive- if someone could actually pronounce Lyrarapax unguispinus.

"Lee-ra-rap-packs un-gwee-spine-us" I think I nailed it.

edit on 20-7-2014 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie
Thank you for the information, and for the pronunciation help.
I was wondering how to say it.

huge find and could shed light onto the evolution of life on Earth.

I think you are right.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Is it the cone shaped mouth or the haunting eyes?

Sorry, just couldn't resist...

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
mmmm... I think it would taste like one of these little guys.

This is a Morton Bay Bug from Australia and are quite similar to what is described in the op, and tasty too.

Ok maybe not so similar but I still wonder what the beastie in the op would taste like.
edit on 20-7-2014 by weirdguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
originally posted by: Rainbowresidue
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Thank you for the information, and for the pronunciation help.
I was wondering how to say it.

Don't thank me just yet-I was hazarding a guess

huge find and could shed light onto the evolution of life on Earth.

I think you are right.

Well every puzzle has it's pieces, no matter how insignificant they appear to be. And even if this creature didn't play any part in the grand scheme of things, it could provide insight into the ancient world. At the time this critter swam in the ocean, there was a huge upheaval in the Earths ecology, and discoveries like this could help us understand exactly what happened way back when.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I'm going with lie ra rapicks a reply to: Thecakeisalie

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: weirdguy

sea insects not my flavor at all

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Ugly and yet at the same time cool, nice find (you and the chinese) ...

they are sure its dead right?

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
That was the first predator on earth. It took the planet basically 4 billion years to get life to that point.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Nice find but....

6 inches in length is no monster.

Wait a minute....lol

Peace

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

Hehe.

On a serious note, that group of organisms holds some of the largest species of organisms alive in the Cambrian. This one might not have been a monster, but his 7ft cousin might have been.

en.wikipedia.org...

Cheers.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   

They should clone it along with all the other dinosaurs they still have DNA for.

We need a Dino Zoo already, I'm sure they can be tamed like lions from birth =D

new topics

top topics

join