It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA physicist, artist unveil warp-speed craft design

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
afaik Harold White fron NASA has experimentally prooven that warping spacetime itself is quite possible.
the prob with the alcubierre drive would be temperatures of several million K within the "warp bubble"...

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dolour
afaik Harold White fron NASA has experimentally prooven that warping spacetime itself is quite possible.
the prob with the alcubierre drive would be temperatures of several million K within the "warp bubble"...

1> not sure he has proven it. he had suggestive data that was so close to sigma that he would not publish it. he is thus running new experiments with better sensitivity and a better test article. he well knows if his data is in any way weak he will get masacred in the peer review process. so he is being properly cautious.

2. the thermal thing depends on the same faulty understanding that i critiqued earlier. the problem is averted. there is no accumulation of photons of any type including infrared. additionally the dopler shift only applies to the combined real space speeds (for mass bearing particles) or the speed of the starship in the case of photons. Dr white assumes a ten percent c speed for his star ship in real space terms. this is what is input into his equations to derive a FTL apparent speed of 10 times C. chances are though he will have to wait a good while to get any drive capable of 10 percent C. it's not easy and the first fusion rockets wont even get to 1 percent c. the first fusion drives will probably only triple up on Voyager's speed.
edit on 21-7-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Dolour

According to the wiki:

White attracted the attention of the press when he began presenting his ideas at space conventions and publishing proposals for Alcubierre drive concepts. In 2011, he released a paper titled Warp Field Mechanics 101 that outlined an updated concept of Miguel Alcubierre's faster-than-light propulsion concept, including methods to prove the feasibility of the project. Alcubierre's concept had been considered infeasible because it required far more power than any viable energy source could produce. White re-calculated the Alcubierre concept and proposed that if the warp bubble around a spacecraft were shaped like a "doughnut", it would be much more energy efficient and make the concept feasible. White has stated that "warp travel" has not yet seen a "Chicago Pile-1" experiment, a reference to the very first nuclear reactor, the breakthrough demonstration that paved the way for nuclear power.[4][5][6]

To investigate the feasibility of a warp drive, White and his team have designed a warp field interferometer test bed to demonstrate warp field phenomena. The experiments are taking place at NASA's Advanced Propulsion Physics Laboratory: Eagleworks at the Johnson Space Center.[5] White and his team claim that this modified Michelson interferometer will detect distortion of space-time, a warp field effect.[7]

Not sure how you managed to draw "experimentally proven" from this.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: stormbringer1701
1> not sure he has proven it. he had suggestive data that was so close to sigma that he would not publish it.

he stated that experiments utilizing an nickelson morley interferometer have prooven that "warping spacetime" does in fact work, its not just theory anymore.

and no, its not in the wiki article.

/edit: cant find that paper anymore in my browser history. a quick google search brought this up tho.

/edit2: @gethyped: i really cant do anything but shake my head over ppl like you, moaning before putting the slightest effort into researching something.
poorsauce...

edit on 21-7-2014 by Dolour because: couldnt resist...

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped
a reply to: Dolour

Not sure how you managed to draw "experimentally proven" from this.

Dr White has already ran a series of experiments using a Juday type interferometer. at the end of that run he had what he termed "suggestive and encouraging results" so that is probasbly where the poster got the proven thing. however Dr White said he was not satisfied with his sigma level and that the results could be disputed so he wanted to improve his results with refinements (new interferometer and test article) before he officially published anything.

frankly i don't doubt if he has a good set up he will detect a warp because all mass and all energy warps space to a degree. i also do not see how detecting a warp signature will prove anything for that very reason. i think he needs to prove a couple of other things that would be more impressive and convincing to the scientific community.

1. he needs to demonstrate his claim that the permitivity of space to deformation can be modulated in the way he claims.

2. he needs to demonstrate either negative energy and allowable analogs or that the requisite deformation profile can be created without negative energy.

3. those are the keys to proving the concept of a warp drive not verifying a warp occurs in the presence of energy or mass since such warps occur naturally around just about everything in existence.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dolour

/edit: cant find that paper anymore in my browser history. a quick google search brought this up tho.

/edit2: @gethyped: i really cant do anything but shake my head over ppl like you, moaning before putting the slightest effort into researching something.
poorsauce...

do you really think i have not researched it? i have taken the trouble to upload his latest public presentation on his progress that i was aware of to my youtube account.

i have probably forgotten more about White, Alcubierre and dr woodward's wormholes and other similar things than you have ever known.

edit on 21-7-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: added video link

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.
Thank you

-thread closed-

top topics

<< 1   >>

join