It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Safe Is The UK?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 06:18 AM
link   
OK FIRST I LIVE IN PORTSMOUTH UK , ALTHOUGH PORTSMOUTH NO LONGER HOUSES OUR NUCLEAR SUB FLEET(NOW BASED IN SCOTLAND) .OUR SUBS ARE SECOND TO NONE ,ALSO WE WHERE THE FIRST COUNTRY TO HAVE COMPUTER WEAPON SYSTEMS ,WE ADOPTED THIS SYSTEM BECAUSE IT WAS CHEAPER THEN BUILDING NEW SHIPS,WE HAVE BEEN HOT SWAPING COMPUTER DEFENCE SYSTEMS AS AND WHEN WE HAD IMPROVED IT,,WE HAVE TWO BRAND NEW AIRCRAFT CARRIERS NEARING COMPLETION
UK NEW AIRCRAFT CARRIER THIS WILL BE BASED IN PORTSMOUTH

OUR SHIPS ARE VERY COOL AND LOADED WITH HIGH TECH SYSTEMS ,I ALSO BELIEVE WE STILL HOUSE NUKES FOR THE USA,I PERSONALY KNOW OF ONE SECRET BASE HERE WITH BLAST MOUNDS AROUND ALL BUILDINGS ITS LOCATION I WILL NOT POST ON HERE FOR SECURITY REASONS NOT AMERICAN THOUGH ,ITS M.O.D.
AND IM SURE THERE IS MANY MORE IN SCOTLAND TO NEAR OUR SUB BASE(OUR SUB BASE WAS MOVED SO THEY COULD REACH MIDDLE EAST QUICKER).YES OUR DEFENCES HAVE BEEN CUT BY MORE THEN A HALF IN PORTSMOUTH ALONE AND
THIS IS A SHAME BUT IF ATTACKED WE STILL PACK ENOUGH PUNCH TO KICK ARSE

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: pennydrops
a reply to: Wirral Bagpuss

If war was to break out, there are plenty of enemies already in the UK regardless of who we are fighting.

I don't believe acts of terror are a big threat from russian lineage immigrants tbh/

It's not like there's an ideological impetus to commits acts of terror unless the UK gubment starts treating them badly or targets russian civilians over there.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   
The UK is safe. Not sure how anyone would directly threaten the UK unless it is with nukes. If there was a shooting war i.e. the navy of Bali en route to impose a blockade, the UK could rely on NATO and other allies.

The only threat to the UK is via nut-job terrorist types and I think the security services have that in hand.

Regards

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
As other have said in nuclear war nobody is safe. In a conventional conflict Russia does not have the ability to do much to the UK. They are already vastly out numbered on the ground in mainland Europe. The same problem is had in aircraft numbers for Russia. The Russian fleet such as it is does not have the capability for landing any sort of invasion even if it some how managed to survive long enough to do so. The worst the UK could suffer would be an air raid at the start of a conflict. Even that is unlikely as the cost would be high to the Russians, the damage quicly repaired in the UK and Russia would need to be trying to save every aircraf possible do to USAF and RCAF units arriving to reinforce EU and NATO airforces. So in other words the UK is safer now than pretty much any other time.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I think our country is all good

We're an island that ain't very big but we got 1 of the best armies in the world

If nukes start flyin then were up the creek but don't forget we have nukes aswell and armed nuclear subs around the isles and in different parts of the world at all times

We might be small in teams of land size but please do not underestimate the British people

We have blood in us from almost every great warrior nations throughout history

Roman Saxon Viking etc we are no pushovers

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: igor_ats

originally posted by: pennydrops

If war was to break out, there are plenty of enemies already in the UK regardless of who we are fighting.

I don't believe acts of terror are a big threat from russian lineage immigrants tbh/

It's not like there's an ideological impetus to commits acts of terror unless the UK gubment starts treating them badly or targets russian civilians over there.

I don't think the terror threat relates to Russians directly, but other groups seeing an opportunity to push their cause, either of their own volition or by prompting - the IRA and the Nazis collaborated during WW2, it's not a stretch of the imagination to say that Russian intelligence might try to encourage some of the home-grown radicals to open up a second front on British soil. Increases tension, spreads discord, diverts resources, etc.

There's an old BBC "what if" docu-drama called "Threads" (you can find it on Youtube) that explores a hypothetical situation where the UK gets attacked with nuclear weapons. The analysis was based on British society and technical capabilities in the 80's, but it's still very interesting.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   

I think we're one of the safest countries in the world. Those Russian incursions have been going on for decades and don't really mean any harm; we do the same thing to them. It's a real-time way of testing pilots and technology whilst probing each other's border and airspace security.

Unfortunately we aren't a Top 10 safest country in any polls or studies, but we're still safer than ~180 others so no reason to complain when it could be much worse.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: EvillerBob

.....the IRA and the Nazis collaborated during WW2,...
And before.
en.wikipedia.org...

I used to live in a 1938 house that was eventually demolished when the back wall became too unstable. It had been deliberately built to collapse. Above the first level of scaffolding they used a mix so weak it crumbled when pressed lightly between finger and thumb. The local MP's jaw dropped when I took a sample to him and demonstrated. The bricks were laid in a very unstable zig-zag with half bricks used to create weak points where the most weight was concentrated. This was then carefully covered in render to give a vertical appearance. When the render was removed the sabotage was plainly visible, and the absurd denials began. Only two builders privately admitted to me there is a problem with some houses built around this time. Other builders, a structural engineer and council inspectors took the route of comfortable denial. These same people told me I was overreacting and the house was safe two months before it was condemned. I don't see how that can be mass incompetence. It seems far more likely many people are aware building site sabotage is an issue but they choose to deny it for an easy life. A contractor I discussed this with recently told me several houses in the area built by prisoners-of-war have similar issues.

If you have suspicions about a rendered house from that era drill holes in a vertical line through the render and check the thickness is regular.

In this vastly more complex society the opportunities for sabotage are many. Excreta mixed with water and sprayed over salad vegetables, fake alcoholic drinks containing accumulative poisons sold cheap, addictive and damaging drugs made easily available, etc. etc.

They know what our strong points are. They won't attack there. It's the weaknesses they'll look for.
edit on 20 7 2014 by Kester because: remove word

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   

I'm in the UK too and things aren't looking so great with a few Country's at the moment. Not only do we have to watch out for the threats of attack from Extreme Groups which have popped up, e now have to watch out for any possible conflict with Russia.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Every so often these threads make an appearance. Let me enlighten everyone again. Why. Oh why would Russia or any other country for that matter want Britain? We are a small island on the ars***** of Europe with no vast quantities of minerals, so what would any country go to all the trouble to take us over. We have literally nothing anybody wants. As I said to the Americans (use your intelligence here) if Russia or China wanted the US or Britain the would just buy us. No weapons used, no lived threatened just a peaceful change of power. But they have enough trouble keeping their own people under control so why would they want us?

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

Well considering the economy of the UK is somewhat bigger than that of Russia, that's a good motivation. Also, Russia is not an advanced economy, plus blah, blah. Don't downgrade the UK.

Cheers

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

90% of the money comes from one square mile of London called canary warf - unsurprisingly though thats where the banks live.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs
90% of the money comes from one square mile of London called canary warf - unsurprisingly though thats where the banks live.

Around 20% of the UK economy is financial services, with 10% coming out of London. 80% of Russian exports are based on oil and gas. The UK is a diverse economy, the Russian economy is not.

Regards

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I often wonder : Why do you think nuclear weapons are the pinnacle of destruction? YOU know we spend UNGODLY amounts of money in secret, can't you grasp the idea we have FAR WORSE than that?
I expect it from them unfortunately,I'm seldom disappointed in THAT regard.
I think your muslim groups may get hairy but not thousands dead "hairy".

BANKERS however ,THERE is a threat.
edit on 20-7-2014 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Yeah its not just financial in that area, many very large companies have their HQ in that same area.

I didnt mean that 90% of the economy was pure banks, just a fair portion comes some just a few major banks there.

Compared to where money is generated else where in the country and how much it really directly 'helps'. a few hundred thousand in London responsible for a huge majority while 50 million else where are more like busy little ants in comparison.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Take our large PHARMACY groups for instance,you know WHY we call them a sarcasic Big Pharma as part of some conspiracy theories?
Mostly because we end up being correct?

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

That idiot CUSTER didn't listen to his scouts...in the 7th Cav.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed

Every so often these threads make an appearance. Let me enlighten everyone again. Why. Oh why would Russia or any other country for that matter want Britain? We are a small island on the ars***** of Europe with no vast quantities of minerals, so what would any country go to all the trouble to take us over. We have literally nothing anybody wants. As I said to the Americans (use your intelligence here) if Russia or China wanted the US or Britain the would just buy us. No weapons used, no lived threatened just a peaceful change of power. But they have enough trouble keeping their own people under control so why would they want us?

I don't think anyone imagines they would want to "take us over".

The risk that Britain faces is the same geography that has helped us overcome so many other problems. We are an excellent staging point for any action against forces in Europe. Just look at WW2 - it's highly likely that America would not have involved itself if it wasn't able to use Britain as a staging point. You'll also notice that America held back (openly, at least) until after the Battle of Britain effectively insured our ability to resist an invasion in the near-future. A fully-functional Britain surrounded by a lot of water, yet with a coastline that is still within a reasonable size to effectively patrol and secure, will always be a problem for anyone looking at Europe from a military point of view.

I seriously doubt that Russia would be thinking of making a massive move against the core western European countries either, so what make Britain a threat?

America makes it a threat. We support a significant American military presence and we have quite a strong combined nuclear threat. Sure, Britain has a small but extremely capable military and a fearsome submarine fleet, but if Russia goes to war, it will be (either directly or indirectly) a war with the US, and Britain is sitting holding the Americans' bag of toys. Britain also has quite a strong intelligence-gathering and monitoring capability, so an attack on Britain is also a substantive if indirect attack on America's eyes and ears in the region.

The likelihood of Britain actually coming under attack from Russia? While I think it would be foolish to say never, I would be comfortable to say that it's pretty darned low. We're back in proxy-war territory these days rather than open conflict, and an attack on Britain doesn't really fit in that scenario.

Russian agitators stirring up the nest with some of our local fundamentalists? Much more likely, though again the question would be - to what end? It's not going to divert the military resources or impact on the intelligence gathering that is of interest to Russia, it's just going to stir up some domestic grief. Of course, even that has its place, but would Russia see a benefit that outweighs the investment and risk?

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Could anyone tell me why Russia would want Britain? The money angle, forget it. The financial base would just up sticks and move at a moments notice. Anyway the money is not here it's spread world wide, so what's a few banks? As for the US using GB as a staging post that was true in the 2 world war but now we are no longer needed as weapon delivery is global. The only reason the US wants GB is that they are using us as a product base for the EU. Believe me when I say the only reason Russia is at the moment complacent with the UK is that it's summer time. This Ukrainian thing is water off a ducks back to them. Now bring the same thing on in winter(being as the UKs nearly 100% gas supply comes from Russia) then the British politicians would not be parading about defaming Russia and back paddling with their sanction rhetoric. When will people not listen. Britain has nothing that any nation wants, apart from our social system for immigrants and believe me we are being slowly invaded by that method. So why, oh why do we need to spend billions on a defence system to defend against no-one?

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
Could anyone tell me why Russia would want Britain?

Kudos, Morris Dancing and Wadworth 6X. Why else?

Regards

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join