It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Safe Is The UK?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I am watching the news this morning and am remembering the Cold War when the USSR frequently buzzed our airspace and sea defences. They are currently trying it on once more. What is more worrying is that the Russian Bear is flexing it's muscles and of course the world is focusing on the shooting down of MH17.

With this in mind I am thinking of the defence cuts here in the UK. We don't even have an aircraft carrier! I blame this current Government for the totally irresponsible behaviour in this regards. I don't want war, I don't think anyone wants it. I would cheer if Humanity grew up and we had no need for armies and such. Perhaps an International Rescue Organisation for natural disasters, that sort of thing. But until we do grow up, we will need defences.

So, has Phillip Hammond, now our foreign secretary, former defence secretary been incredibly naïve at best, careless and at worse betrayed the UK from a defence point of view, since the cuts were done on his watch?

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 03:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Wirral Bagpuss

You're covered by the US as well,but the QUEEN ELIZABETH will be commissioned once she is built that is where the F35s will be based. You should be fine.

My Daughter lives in Nottingham.

link   
If the big one ever starts bend over kiss your arse goodbye .. no place will be safe .. the dead will be the lucky ones.

link   
I wouldn't worry if I were you; you have Big Brother - Small Sister US of A mighty army to protect you.

half of the world even doesn't need an army; just pay for private army of the USA.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 04:02 AM
link   

I am watching the news this morning and am remembering the Cold War when the USSR frequently buzzed our airspace and sea defences. They are currently trying it on once more.

They have been doing this more than once every single year since the cold war all over Europe, it's not something new.

It's a returning event 3 or 4 times a year every year.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 04:04 AM
link   
a reply to: demus

Yeah, then they YELL at us for it and our LEADERS screw it up.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 04:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

In the 60's and 70's it was every day.. numerous times!
The UK would be first hit.. so we are only safe if nukes don't go off.

T

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 04:09 AM
link   

We have been buzzing them and they have been buzzing us. Its normal. Countries do this all the time. I suggest you switch off your TV.

The UK is not the place to be in a conflict...far too many people of different cultures, meaning, if war was to break out, there are plenty of enemies already in the UK regardless of who we are fighting. There is nowhere to run in the UK. Im glad im not there anymore.

The last thing the British people want is to get financially screwed by the US again like after ww2. I dont think US help would be appreciated by the UK public any longer, most people hate anything US govt. related there.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 04:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

You're covered by the US as well,but the QUEEN ELIZABETH will be commissioned once she is built that is where the F35s will be based. You should be fine.

The Queen Elizabeth was launched last week.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 04:11 AM
link   
The size of our army and our air defencecs are enough to protect our little island 10 times over instead of policeing the world
we should have all our troops home at Christmas just in time for round three.
edit on 20-7-2014 by majestic3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 04:14 AM
link   
if the nukes start flying i can pretty much bend over and kiss my arse goodbye...west central Scotland here.
Oh well, at least it will be quick, kinda like getting your picture taken only the flash is alot warmer.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 04:36 AM
link   

I believe the "buzzing" never stopped, it just was not news. With the new tensions it's suddenly news again.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Safe in what sense?

If nukes start flying anywhere, we're all screwed. As poster above says, the dead will be the lucky ones.

I would doubt the Russians would have any interest in invading the British Isles, so the main threat in a conventional war would be aerial bombardment. In that regard the RAF's purchase of the Typhoon/Eurofighter suddenly stops looking like such a white elephant, because that airframe was designed specifically to combat the Russian threat. And then when the Russian threat went away, it looked like an incredibly stupid aeroplane.

But now the Russian threat is back, it's suddenly looking a lot smarter. The Eurofighter was designed to operate in a target rich environment against waves of Russian fighters and bombers.

As for the aircraft carriers? The two we had with the harriers would have been useless against the Russians anyway. They'd have been sunk in minutes while the Harriers were getting shot out of the sky.

The new Aircraft carriers will likewise be about as useful as a chocolate teapot. Mostly because the F-35B is unlikely to ever enter production, and if it does it will be the worst carrier aircraft in the world, and will make the old Harriers look desirable. But honestly I don't think it will enter production. Which will leave the UKs new aircraft carriers with no fast jets to fly off them, so they'll probably wind up as helicopter carriers.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 04:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: pennydrops

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

The Queen Elizabeth was launched last week.

Just to prove it floats i'm afraid..

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   

You live in one of the safest places on the planet providing there isn't a war on.

We have a stable political system, internationally reknown legal system, some of the best intelligence and security services in the world and professional armed forces.

Should the fur ever fly properly with a large scale war that directly threatens to the UK, having an aircraft carrier isn't going to make much difference to be honest, however blaming the current government is complete folly - the start of the downsizing of the Royal Navy, Air Force and Army dates back to the end of WW2 and has been continued by every government since.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 04:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Expat888

The voice of pure cdommon sense Well said Sir!

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 05:10 AM
link   
With or without defence cuts, a war with Russia from a European viewpoint would be catastrophic, even in conventional terms. Britain is targeted because of its importance as an intelligence-gathering relay station to the US, and of course, for its American airbases from which attacks upon Russia would be launched. The US would be involved right from the off, as it would launch air strikes from other European bases as part of NATO, as well.

WW3 would begin conventionally, but would quickly escalate to nuclear use. Britain in a nuclear war would be utterly annihilated. In a conventional war it could hold its own as its armed forces are extremely professional and very capable for their sizes, but they would eventually be over-whelmed by Russia's larger military statistics.

Fact is, in conventional terms, the US cannot afford a Russian-dominated Europe both militarily or economically. During the 60's,70's, and 80's, it was thought that Russia would overwhelm Europe through sheer military numbers, but I doubt this was really ever feasible. If Russia ever achieved European domination, the US would be practically alone, and could only ever defend herself with the use of nuclear weapons. Let's be clear about this, after Europe, America would most certainly be targeted and attacked, but expectations are that the US would be attacked at the same time as Europe.

Nuclear use policy is shifting from the 'mutual assured destruction' (MAD) protocol, to one of pre-emption. That is a shift towards potentially attacking your enemy with nukes with swift 'thunder-clap' surprise, and disabling the enemy's capacity to counter as quickly and as destructively as possible. Yes, you are bound to incur losses, but as long as those losses are kept to the barest minimum ('minimum' being in the millions) of acceptable losses, then such cost may seem statistically viable. The goal will be to recover and rebuild faster than your enemy, and then overwhelm her to total destruction. Britain would not survive the first attack. The 'old world' of Europe would be gone, but Russia, because of its size, would most likely require being double-nuked.

Of course, all this does not factor in the Asiatic response. Even with Russia and Europe gone, a wounded America would then be facing countries like China, Iran, North Korea, etc. America would still have allies in Australia, New Zealand, but I'm not too sure about Central and Southern American countries? Potentially, America would eventually fall.

World War 3 will happen...it is absolutely inevitable. It's not about 'if', but 'when'. The world is being driven towards it by agendas and by resource needs. The more the West facilitates sanctions against Russia, the more desperate that country will become, and it may reach a point where Russia says 'enough is enough' and act proportionately to its desperation, its need, and its own agenda. It will not sit there like Iran or North Korea while sanctions are heaped upon it. If it perceives itself as not being allowed to exist by its own determination, it will take the world down with it.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 05:17 AM
link   
We dont need a carrier, we have the best, most badass destroyers in the world all over our boarders.

How safe is the UK?

Besides a friendly mugging, youd be hard pressed to get into any danger anywhere here. We can also scramble very capable jets in 2 minutes, over any part of the isles.

And even though "we dont have guns", you pull a gun on anyone, our armed response will be all over you also in a matter of minutes too. Our UK has very much a no nonsense policy when it comes to fire arms and pulling one out would be a very serious mistake.

I feel very safe even with all these so called "terrorists" all over the place. Compared to the states, or general Europe or far east? Its practically the safest place to be.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Expat888

The big one was hacked from the start.
Fear of what hasn't happened could drive some to negative living or worse.
The lucky ones will live to see the warmongers plans fail.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 05:39 AM
link   

There are enough U.S and U.K forces in Britain to defend it.
When the declarations of war ring out worldwide, 'cause let's be fair WW3 is on going just now, all the really nasty ##it gets dusted off.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join