It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have You Ever Had Hypnotherapy? What'd You Think?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I'm taking a poll of sorts for a friend who is considering training in hypnotherapy. If you have tried it, what was your take on it? Did it accomplish what you wanted it to? (No need to tell us what, if you don't want to...) Were you unimpressed? Any negative side effects? Would you do it again? Or, maybe you think it's all hogwash?

And last but definitely not least, any past life stuff come up?

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I am unable to be hypnotized. I know what it is and I do not have sufficient trust in my fellow human beings.

It is not a cure all, it can help but for regression a decent trance state can achieve the same thing without the negatives. All you need is a practitioner that knows how to take a patient down.

What you see on TV is all crapola.

The first step for your friend should not be a poll, but a careful assessment as to the abilities of the person teaching the course. Is it accredited. Otherwise your friend and their money will be soon parted.

P

edit on 19/7/2014 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I tried hypnotherapy for weight loss. I enjoyed the deep sense of relaxation that being hypnotized gave me. It did increase my motivation to follow my eating plan for awhile, but the effects were temporary. The increased motivation might also have been a type of placebo effect. The hypnotherapist gave me a cd of the session to play in order to reinforce the suggestions, but I quit using it after a couple of weeks, so that also might have been why the effects were temporary. I did not experience any past life memories or anything unusual--just deep relaxation. The hypnotherapist said that I went under easily. I would probably be willing to do it again, but just for stress relief. I should also mention that the hypnotherapist was a licensed psychologist, so I trusted that she knew what she was doing. The fee was quite reasonable for an hour long session, so I did not feel as if I were being scammed. I would say if it isn't too expensive and you can trust the hypnotist, that your friend should go ahead and try it, so he/she can form their own opinion.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
This is the course she 's looking at: hypnotherapy course

Partly because it looks legit (?) and partly because it's near her home. She's also looking at becoming a midwife or doula and in a lot of ways, I think would be a natural for any or all of these kinds of fields. Her background is in psychology but she's not credentialed at this point and has two small children to support.

Hard to tell on this one; I have mixed feelings about it myself. The only people I know who have tried it, were for weight loss and smoking and they both have said it seemed to work somewhat, but they failed to continue with the tapes, too.

Keep the testimonials or not coming folks. It's an interesting topic and I've actually never heard any anonymous discussions of it. The website certainly has a lot of glowing reports but that's to be expected and hardly unbiased.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I have had hypnotherapy, and also use self-hypnosis occasionally. A good hypnotherapist can do wonders for people. Especially if that person also understands NLP, among other things. It's a good career with unlimited earning potential, and a way to help people, as well as have fun, all at the same time.

If your friend is serious. Tell him/her not to stop learning after the hypnotherapy courses. There's much more to learn after that.

BTW. Anyone can be hypnotized, unless they have mental health issues, or an exceptionally low IQ. Some people just require non-traditional methods, and a therapist who knows what they are doing.

ETA: If she's really serious. Before she takes any classes, tell her to buy the book in the following link. If she can get through that book successfully, and enjoy it. She might want to consider classes. imho.
Hypnosis And Accelerated Learning
edit on 7/19/2014 by Klassified because: eta

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358
You can be hypnotized. You just haven't run across the right practitioner yet. I've seen some real hard cases go under after being convinced no one could hypnotize them. Not being contrary, just telling you my experience over the years.

It is not a cure all, it can help but for regression a decent trance state can achieve the same thing without the negatives. All you need is a practitioner that knows how to take a patient down.

What you see on TV is all crapola.

The first step for your friend should not be a poll, but a careful assessment as to the abilities of the person teaching the course. Is it accredited. Otherwise your friend and their money will be soon parted.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: signalfire

That course does not look like it is accredited by state of federal authorities.

If you put the words 'snake oil' in place of 'hypnotherapy' it would still read well.

I would advise caution, extreme caution.

P

edit on 19/7/2014 by pheonix358 because: F, I needed an F. I left the F out!

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Klassified, we will have to agree to disagree.

Not everyone can be hypnotized.

You just haven't run across the right practitioner yet

Why, do they need voodoo skills or something. I have had several highly qualified and skilled Psychologists with years of experience try etc etc. It is simply a matter of trust, or rather, lack of it.

P

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

That course does not look like it is accredited by state of federal authorities.

I you put the words 'snake oil' in place of 'hypnotherapy' it would still read well.

P

Same thing (snake oil) instead of 'Harvard Economics degree' would work too.

Are you simply against it (which is fine, that was one of my questions to the crowd) or is there some place you'd recommend as being legit?

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I sought the assistance of a hypnotherapist for my PTSD after seeing every form of psychiatrist, psychologist, shaman, etc. It did me wonders!

Now, what did I experience? Nothing like self hypnosis - at all! It was not the same sense of peace, and self awareness. I was aware of everything the entire time, yet I did experience emotions and release.

Did it work? Was I hypnotized? Was it all a placebo, of sorts? I don't know. In any case, it helped me tremendously.

I would advise anyone who wants to enter this field, to take a sincere look at the broad variety of patients to deal with. I would be concerned that there is a belief among many that a one-stop-shop cure all is the answer for many, when in fact, REAL issues need to be addressed through several methods. There are many folks out there who "suffer", but there are some who truly SUFFER. Be wise and be able to distinguish between them!

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Are you simply against it (which is fine, that was one of my questions to the crowd) or is there some place you'd recommend as being legit?

NO, I am not against it! Not at all.

I am a counselor and often use deep meditative states to assist clients.

I am not qualified in Hypnotherapy but I do know it can help certain clients. It is all good.

I am in Australia so I cannot offer any worthwhile recommendations for your part of the world.

To me, that site screams, 'A fool and their money are soon parted.'

I suggest you try finding information from a Government (State or Federal) source.

P

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   

On multiple occasions I have seen people become hypnotized in various degrees.
I have to say, it's very useful if it works for you.
I know someone who used it to quit cigarettes, apparently the hypnotist went Freud on him and ever since the trial he can only see cigarettes as baby penises.

It's very real stuff, which of course should be obvious to anyone
after all we are driven by associations. Some could argue that we self-hypnotize ourselves 100% of our waking lives.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   
The accreditation looks legit to me. Gil Boyne is a big name within the hypnosis community and a teacher of his time. He founded the specific foundation that is holding the courses so it should all work out just fine. Something to consider though: Hypnotherapy is a wonderful job but your friend will need to purchase their own office space as well as buy insurance just as any other therapist or counselor would need to. You can't just go be a hire-on in many cases whenever it comes to work in the field of hypnosis.

Other things to consider would also be courses accredited by the NGH (National Guild of Hypnotists) as that is also a completely legit group. I at one point wanted to be a hypnotherapist as well and can hypnotize others just fine, but then slowly drifted away from it because of all of the work it would take to get accredited and then start up an office.

new topics

top topics

join