It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival shows - Why does no one use the Universal Edibility Test?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I watch all the survival shows I can and even though I'm no expert, there are common things you learn - what is right to do and what is wrong to do. (this comes with enough knowledge after watching years worth of shows, reading books practicing etc.) Take Naked and Afraid for instance, on day 1 besides finding fresh water making fire and shelter and finding food very few of these folks actually have the presence of mind to make Shoes! Sometimes they go the whole 21 days with no foot protection. I saw one last night where for 21 days the couple did not eat Any solid food at all except a few berries and nuts.

It got me thinking why none of these people Ever use the Universal Edibility Test? Here are a couple of links to the method:

www.wilderness-survival.net...

lifehacker.com...

Though Not fool proof this will greatly increase your chances of finding which plants are more likely to be safe to eat. This couple could not start a fire because everything was so damp, could not cook any food they caught (snake) But there were grasses and trees all over the place! A salad is at least something that will help keep you alive and give you energy to hunt for meat.

( well the snake went bad after 24 hours and they just threw it away.. didn't even try to use it for bait for traps or fishing! Grrrr.. That's Dumb in my book)

I do not have practical experience using this test, so I ask ATS, does it work well? Why do you think none of these folks know about it or use it?
edit on 19-7-2014 by JohnPhoenix because: formatting

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnPhoenix

Because most people live for today and don't worry themselves over things that might happen.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Because they don't need to.

I have worked as crew, PA, 2ndAC, grip/gaffer on a few of these "Reality" shows and the participants or "talent" as they are loosely called go back to the boat, trailer, motel after a days shooting, for catered meals, crafty, breaks etc. with the rest of the crew.

It's scripted and produced to look like "reality" but it's not; just simple entertainment to hang advertising on. Reality TV in the industry is a favorite because they are cheap, quick, and appealing to a broad demographic.

On these types of shows, check out the night scenes...see the additional light and if you listen, you can hear the jinny [generator] running in the background.
edit on 19-7-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
All of the reasons above plus it wouldn't fit in a 30 minute time frame.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Because its bogus TV crap

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
These tests might save your life if you have no alternatives, but as you say, they are flawed. In fact, they can even get you killed. There are plenty of berries and flowers which will kill you if you so much as press them against your lower lip (hemlock, foxglove and many others).

Sure, you can find a few nice things to eat which you are only mildly allergic to (most wild plants, even the edibles will not fully agree with most people- the foods we have today were bred because of their near-universal lack of strong irritants for the majority of people), but you are taking your life into your hands when you use these tests. Knowledge of the local edibles, and the nasty look-alikes goes a long way. That is why most survivalists will tend to have regional knowledge, and be somewhat at a loss if they are dropped into a place where they don't know the plants and animals as well as they would need to.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Hey cool post man star n flag i always thought that the shows all had team with ready meals and stuff lol, this is good website the main guy does what i eventually want to do and live independantly

huntergathercook.com...

Oh ye check out the blog
edit on 19-7-2014 by BoovDawg because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12
Whoa, stop the presses!
Are you telling me Reality TV is like pro wrestling??
I will admit though, pro wrestlers are some of the best "live" stuntmen in the world.

Yeah I caught onto reality TV the first time I ever watched one.
"Realty" just was not matching up to what I saw as reality from the same scenario, but it does sell advertising and it attracts 13 year old boys and girls as well.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
My question for quite some time, has been 'If he eats slime on a beach, why is he the same shape as me?'
(I eat pies - a lot)

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Because they don't need to.

I have worked as crew, PA, 2ndAC, grip/gaffer on a few of these "Reality" shows and the participants or "talent" as they are loosely called go back to the boat, trailer, motel after a days shooting, for catered meals, crafty, breaks etc. with the rest of the crew.

It's scripted and produced to look like "reality" but it's not; just simple entertainment to hang advertising on. Reality TV in the industry is a favorite because they are cheap, quick, and appealing to a broad demographic.

On these types of shows, check out the night scenes...see the additional light and if you listen, you can hear the jinny [generator] running in the background.

Have you actually seen Naked and Afraid? Those folks lose weight a LOT and often have to have serious medical attention or be taken to the hospital.

I'd love to ask what shows you worked on but won't because I know you probably signed some kind of Non Disclosure Agreement - Still I have heard of these tales where Bear Grylls would get hand offs of food and drink from the crew and other such tales. If Naked and Afraid IS fake, I'd really like to know but it doesn't seem that way to me.. It does make me wonder though where the 4 man crew eats and sleeps while the couple is roughing it.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   

I haven't seen "Naked and Afraid" but I still have a hard time believing that it's not contrived as well.

Here is the imdb listing....huge crew hardly lends itself to real trauma of the "actors" but I could be wrong. I have seen people get seriously hurt on set.

www.imdb.com...

I worked on this one...Total BS, the kids had trailers to stay in. And Bonanza Creek is a movie town built by some of my friends; Watch "Cowboys and Aliens" Look familiar? Or "A Million ways to Die in the West" I had a small part in that one...I'm the guy with the beard.

www.youtube.com...

edit on 19-7-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Sometimes edibility is all in the preparation. Rhubarb or potatoes for instance. Both can be toxic enough to make you plenty ill, if not cause liver damage. But knowing how to handle them (potatoes should be kept out of light, and not eaten unless cooked) and what specific parts are edible (lower part of the stalk on Rhubarb) makes the difference.

Problem is, there are some plants that are toxic no matter what. It's better to get the books and do your research beforehand.

Yet some edible plants are familar and pervasive. It's quite likely a dandelion is a dandelion, and you can just go ahead and eat that raw. (Although it may be a bit bitter, it has vitamins that are good for you.)

new topics

top topics

join