It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How the World views the United States

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Everybody hates the US right? Right? Well not so much. Except in the Middle East. The latest round Pew Researches Global Attitude Project PEW RESEARCH 2014 is out and its results are interesting.

A global median of 65% voice an affirmative opinion about America. This includes a median of 74% in Africa, 66% in Western Europe, 66% in Asia, 65% in Latin America, but just 30% in the Middle East.

The 50% US approval rating in China is interesting as is the fact that in the younger generation that numbers jumps to 60%. Vietnams new found love for America most likley has more to with its view that the US is its greatest ally, a feeling also found in India.

In Asia, majorities in eight of 11 nations express a positive opinion of the United States. This includes 92% of Filipinos, 82% of South Koreans and 76% of Bangladeshis and Vietnamese. Even half the Chinese give Uncle Sam a thumbs up. Only Pakistanis are strongly anti-American, with just 14% expressing a favorable assessment of the U.S., while 59% are unfavorable. The median positive approval of the United States in Pakistan in 13 surveys since 2002 has been a mere 15%.

The US remains very popular in the Western Hemisphere with exception of Argentina.

In eight of nine Latin American countries, majorities see the U.S. in a favorable light. Salvadorans (80%) are particularly positive in their assessment, as are Chileans (72%) and Nicaraguans (71%). Notably, despite all the tensions between Washington and Caracas, 62% of Venezuelans have a favorable opinion of the U.S. But less than four-in-ten Argentines (36%) are positively disposed toward Washington. In the seven surveys the Pew Research Center has conducted in Argentina since 2002, never more than about four-in-ten Argentines have expressed favorable sentiment toward their big neighbor to the north.

No suprises in Africa where US engagement since the fall of the Soviet Union has brought the entire continent under its sway with few exceptions.

Africans express particularly positive views about America. Strong majorities in all seven nations surveyed back the United States, including roughly three-quarters or more of Kenyans (80%), Ghanaians (77%), Tanzanians (75%) and Senegalese (74%).

And in the Middle East also no suprises. The US ranks low everywhere but, Israel where the US gets its second higherst ratings on the planet.

The Middle East is the sole region where anti-Americanism is both deep and widespread. Eighty-five percent of Egyptians and Jordanians and 73% of Turks voice a negative opinion of the United States. Only 10% of Egyptians, 12% of Jordanians and 19% of Turks have a favorable view. The Egyptian rating is the lowest among the 43 nations in the study. The Tunisians are divided: 42% positive, 47% negative. Israelis are the only public in the region where a majority (84%) holds a favorable opinion of America.

Other interesting things to note:

Obama is still seen in a positive light as a word leader, outside of the Mid East where his ratings mirror that of the US as a whole. China's leader is seen in a mixed light rating less positive in many coutries. While Putin and Russia of course score low across the board Views of Russia

Also if you read through this you will find people oppose US drone strikes and spying on them or their leaders but, not enough to much effect overall opinions of the US. On the other hand US spying is supported as long as it is on terrorist is strongly supported.

China is seen as overtaking the US as a world power in many countries. The US has positive ratings in all the BRICS nations except Russia. Indonesia sees the US both its greatest threat and its greatest ally. Asian nations are very concerend that problems with China will lead to war. Younger generations have much higher views of the US. Russia and Putin have a huge image problem to overcome.

I would suggest sitting down and reading through this to give you better idea of what the man in the street feels about. Granted these views do not alway represent what that nations goverment feels or does.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

You forgot some parts of Europe as well. Some Europeans look up to America despite some issues.

Hmmmmm I feel like more studies should be made though.
edit on 19-7-2014 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
It's certainly an interesting study.

I would like whomever done this study to play Multi-Player games like COD or BF4. Many do not like Americans of any flavor.

+16 more 
posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Personally, I have no objection to the USA itself, but I think its government are a bunch of feckless, useless, immature, soft handed, work shy, and aloof bastards, the best of whom has no intention of representing the people that voted them into their positions, and the worst of whom are little more than mercenaries who wield pens rather than guns.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Interesting... But were the questions posed as how they felt about the American people or the American government? I've found that responses to each can be hugely different in the same individual.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Probably the most astute description of the US government I've read on ATS.

What I think is most distressing is how many people know this and still want to give these people more power and money.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Interesting stuff.

IMO, the poll addresses the belief in America the meme. The American dream, ideals etc. People without the ability to personally experience America and people with incomplete knowledge will be falling back on the meme rather than the reality.

When immigrants no longer value the "American dream" they won't come anymore. Then they will build walls around the US to keep the citizens in.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Very interesting survey, from a very reputable source!

It's also interesting to see how the US approval rating has been going down, along with Obama's approval rating. While we are certainly viewed in a positive light around the world, we are beginning to lose that reputation.

Let's hope all the "low information voters" can wake up from dreams of unicorns and rainbows and return our country to a higher approval rating.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Also interesting to note that in the USA....

Obama's approval rating is only 43%.

(But... it is only 18% among American Mormons, 37% among American Christians, and a whopping 72% among American Muslims!)

Source: Gallup Poll Jan - July 2014
www.huffingtonpost.com...

The majority view I see in Americans I know is that they love their country but hate their government.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: jrflipjr

It's also interesting to see how the US approval rating has been going down, along with Obama's approval rating. While we are certainly viewed in a positive light around the world, we are beginning to lose that reputation.

Let's hope all the "low information voters" can wake up from dreams of unicorns and rainbows and return our country to a higher approval rating.

The US approval rating was in the tank below China and the EU and just above Russia during the last few years of Bush. When Obama got elected US ratings took a huge leap putting way up. That relief the world felt has now leveled out. What I am suprised about is that the spying and drone war have not hurt him or the US much. And that the US and Obama remain so highly rated in Israel. And that Obama rates so low among Muslims, just as bad as Bush. You would think their would be some improvement in that area.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Yeah, the spying and drone issues, IMHO, are a necessary evil that many accept. It's a double-edged sword to be able to defend the country without infringing on privacy. I believe most people are willing to accept a level of intrusion as long as it still allows them to continue with their "normal" lives.

As for the Middle East, I believe a new paradigm of governance will need to be established if the US ever wants to raise its reputation. I wouldn't necessarily argue that the US needs to reconsider its course in the Middle East, but rather continue to engage with them to guide their governments to recognize the same principles the West accepts. Now, I'm not using Neo-con words to say we are better and need to control their governments, but the giant divide between the Middle East and the West is rooted in fundamental beliefs and principles. It seems the Middle East is undergoing a massive transition away from long-rooted beliefs and systems. While the West's view on governance may not be the final solution, I sincerely believe it allows for all walks of life to engage with each other on how to run a government - that's got to count for something! I sincerely believe the way governments are run in the Middle East is based on feudal corruption - something the West experienced in the Dark Ages.

I once had a special operator say something that's been on my mind for years. He said the US is a society founded on religion, whereas the Middle East is a religion founded on a society. Interesting perspective, and it shows how we see the world through different lenses...both sides just need to correct their prescription to see clearly!

I don't know...I'm just spouting words, but I'm open to discussion.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

i'm not government...but ouch.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

I dont like the US government. I think very very poorly of it. I don't like its foreign policy. I don't like how it treats it people

But I can say exactly the same about my own country.

I do like America as in the land, its people, its history and culture. Hence why planning a holiday there.
edit on 19-7-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

You forgot some parts of Europe as well. Some Europeans look up to America despite some issues.

Hmmmmm I feel like more studies should be made though.

I don't look up to America and very very very few western and Northern Europeans I think do at least of who I know.

But we dont look down either.

We look at you as equals in most regards except in military.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: jrflipjr

I dont know.

Here in the UK America sunk to its lowest in respect and likeing under G W Bush.
You were kinda a big joke here.

Now? Ok Obama still a lemon but there's not as much disrespect now.

edit on 19-7-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

i saw this the other day...was very interesting...but just for sake of argument...how many countries do you feel negatively about? I really can't think of many...so in my case id say I feel negative towards maybe 1 or 2% of the countries on the planet...yet america has a 50% approval rating with some countries, so to speak, which means 50% of the people feel negatively towards the usa|?

Also a lot of the positive feelings often come from American culture. We got the best movies and id argue the best music. Other countries are producing some great stuff but there isnt much that keeps up with hollywood, and our endless supply of pop musicians being pumped out that people flock to.

This is similar to say...Germany...I love beer...I love German beer...I feel pretty good about Germany because of their beer...but feel neutral towards their politics...even if their political views were different than mine..well damn it...they make great beer.

This does remind me of a story...im at the sharq mall in kuwait city....taking a piss...and a man comes up behind me...my spidey senses tingle...i turn my head and the man starts yelling at me in english about how the hell could we give Saddam some diamond, apparently President Clinton gave Saddam some diamond back then...2000...well the man was angy about it...i apologized and said I didn't know about it and that it was above my pay grade...he then breaks down and cries and hugs me, after i zip of course, and says thx for saving his family...he obviously deduced that i was a soldier..even though I personally had no part of saving anyone in Kuwait after the invasion. So I do know there are definitely people who appreciated some of our "liberating"

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
It is interesting to note that there are generational differences and that the elderly respondents around the world have a more unfavourable attitude towards the U.S. (it's people? it's government? it's military? economic?), from more direct experience with Americans, I would expect from wars. But, we will never know because the questions do not go far enough to clarify the elderly respondents' specific experience with Americans - negative or otherwise - from the past or the present.

As to the data from Africa, what are the respondent's educational and/or experience with life in the U.S. and/or American policy?

Greece also seems to be blaming the U.S. for their negative economic strife.
edit on 19-7-2014 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

Greece also seems to be blaming the U.S. for their negative economic strife.

Yeah

They should be looking at Germany for that!

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Come to COLORADO I'll buy you dinner get you ripped and WE CAN GO shooting. You WILL giggle at the range (EVERYBODY DOES) ALL men are equal or should be..we aren't too good at that ...yet.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
National data - what the Americans know that people around the world may not know:

Americans’ satisfaction with the state of the nation is up since the fall of 2011, though many more continue to say they are dissatisfied than satisfied with the way things are going in the country today. Satisfaction with national conditions hit a low of 11% in early October 2008 amid increasing signs of economic crisis. The level of national satisfaction is closely tied to the state of the economy

www.pewresearch.org...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join