It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Colbert...words of wisdom

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I stumbled across this while looking at a "philosophy and quotes" type site. According to the site, it's from a commencement address he gave at Knox College in 2006. It's really good, imo.

Don't be afraid to be a fool. Remember, you cannot be both young and wise.
Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it.
Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us. Cynics always say no. But saying yes begins things. Saying yes is how things grow.
Saying yes leads to knowledge. "Yes" is for young people.
So for as long as you have the strength to, say yes.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   
S&F

Thanks for this OP. Being a cynic, this is something I really needed to read. Words of wisdom indeed.

edit on 19-7-2014 by TheProphetMark because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
funny
its somewhat vague and doesnt hold true in most instances
i generally like colbert but this seems to be lacking

wisdom takes experience yes but i have run across more than my fair share of elderly folk that didnt pick up a damned thing in the decades they spent wasting air
and run across just as many in their twenties that would seem more at home with a wrinkled face and yard long beard

the best advice would be to pay attention, be objective, and understand most people opinions arent going to be worth a sack of turnips (but listen, consider, and try to walk yourself through their thought process regardless)

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
i'm sure jim carey would appreciate that advice...

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Love Colbert, but I think that is weak. At least cynics have active minds.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: sirhumperdink

If you're starving, a sack of turnips is worth quite a bit...

And Colbert is a quite wise... much more so than his persona indicates.

I think he's saying that at least saying "yes" enables something to happen...whereas "no" closes doors... simple, really.

top topics

join