It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally! No more drunk worms!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Genetically engineered worms can't get drunk

Scientists have produced a worm with altered genes that is incapable of ever becoming intoxicated.

Created by neuroscientists at the University of Texas, the worms never show any signs of drunkenness no matter how much alcohol their bodies absorb.

The key lies in the modification of what are known as "human alcohol targets", molecular channels that bind alcohol within the body and trigger all the usual behaviors that we tend to associate with intoxication.

For the worms this type of drunken behavior tends to manifest as an inability to move around smoothly and a complete disinterest in procreation.

"This is the first example of altering a human alcohol target to prevent intoxication in an animal," said study author Jon Pierce-Shimomura. "We got pretty lucky and found a way to make the channel insensitive to alcohol without affecting its normal function."

It is believed that this research could one day lead to the development of a James Bond style sobriety pill, making it possible for a human to drink any quantity of alcohol without ever becoming drunk.

Source: www.unexplained-mysteries.com...

Well,it's about time!
I won't have to watch those damn drunk worms swaying ,zig-zagging back and forth at all hours of the day in my backyard anymore. Never mind where they get the booze from, I don't know.

Ok, jokes aside,I think this is a good thing.
I'm not a big drinker, will have a beer every now and then, but I remember back in my partying days I sure could have used a "sobering pill".
Imagine having a couple of drinks with your friends, and then at the end of the night, just taking a pill, that makes you sober again. We'd have a lot less car accidents, I think.

I just feel sorry for all those poor worms that had to get drunk in the name of science .

edit on 19/7/2014 by Rainbowresidue because: (no reason given)

edit on 19/7/2014 by Rainbowresidue because: added source

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Thanks, but no thanks!

Of course, never drink and drive!

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 06:05 AM
link   
There goes entertainment .. worms are funny drunks ..
On the other hand it would be good not to hear people whinge about hangovers anymore ..

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 06:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888
There goes entertainment .. worms are funny drunks ..
On the other hand it would be good not to hear people whinge about hangovers anymore ..

I agree!

But wouldn't this be more dangerous?
I was just thinking that maybe people would start drinking more, not worrying about hangovers, but ruining their liver in the process.
Then again, if they are adults, their body is their responsibility. They should know when to stop.
I'm really not sure about this one.
I see the good but also the bad side of it.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Rainbowresidue

Hard to say .. though know alot of japanese businessmen will be happy over it as most business gets done after hours at bars with the company paying for all of it ..

Can see people ending up killing themselves due alcohol poisoning thinking this would let them drink all night with no effect ..

Even with this better to stick with drinking in moderation ..

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
OMG! Ugly people will never get laid again!

"Well, we were heading back to my place, but then she sobered up and demanded I take her home."

Seriously though, the reason we have a need for things like this is because many can't control themselves. How many of you would use this pill on your drunken friend who is making a fool of themselves? I've been in situations were I would have gladly had a pill to snap them out of it.

How about abusive relationships that stem from alcohol abuse? Plop one of these in their next drink and tone them down a bit.

edit on 19-7-2014 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLieWeLive
OMG! Ugly people will never get laid again!

"Well, we were heading back to my place, but then she sobered up and demanded I take her home."

Seriously though, the reason we have a need for things like this is because many can't control themselves. How many of you would use this pill on your drunken friend who is making a fool of themselves? I've been in situations were I would have gladly had a pill to snap them out of it.

How about abusive relationships that stem from alcohol abuse? Plop one of these in their next drink and tone them down a bit.

Oh,dear!!!
You made me laugh more than I should have.
Thanks for that.

Yes, I'd expect way more frustrated and single people out there once this pill goes public.
I met my husband at a house party. Nuff said.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
That awkward moment when you wake up with a worm next to you...

top topics

join