It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Blair's Alliance With The U.S. A Betrayal Of Britain?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Personally, I would say Britain's relationship with America transcends politics, as much as it can anyway. Whether the Tories, Labour or the Lib Dems were in power, I believe we would have stood shoulder to shoulder fighting terrorism, liberating Afghanistan, Iraq.

Most people would agree that Saddam needed to go, it should have been done a long time ago. What I don't agree with is that it would seem there were hidden agendas to invading Iraq, not so much about oil (although it was important for America to secure some sources, thats understandable), more the ideology(spreading democracy/capitalism through the middle east).

Great in theory, unfortunately I dont think its been successful, Iraqis have seen their army disbanded, public companies closed down, complete disorder. I wish the cleaning up had been handled better, I wish Tony Blair had been more vocal and at least look like he was doing something about it.

Alas, we have a special relationship, and America are the big guys, I cant blame Tony as there really was no alternative in my opinion.

*This is my 1st post! I have been reading the ats forums for well over a year now, have tried to register before but did not have an acceptable email. With the recent addition of the uk politics forum, I finally pulled my finger out (although im interested in other parts of the site). I have no agenda, nor any real alliances with any particular party, but I do like talking about politics and want to contribute to the discussions here(hopefully in a positive way) especially with the elections on the horizon! Hopefully it wont be as crazy as America's, hehe. Sorry for going OT, hello to you all.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I started this thread out of curiosity then stepped aside to see what shook out, and I must say, there are some very informative and thought-provoking points of view presented here.

Not surprisingly, opinions in the U.K. are no more homogeneous than they are in the U.S., but it is very educational for me to read the rationales behind the opinions, and I urge members to keep them coming if they are so inclined. I'm learning a lot from this thread.

Also, just a brief reminder to keep the names of URLs down to a reasonable length when posting them, lest they mess up the formatting and make following the thread more difficult.

Edit: Oh, and welcome aboard squarepusher!

[edit on 12/7/2004 by Majic]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by squarepusher
*This is my 1st post! hello to you all.

- Hello and welcome.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey

Originally posted by squarepusher
*This is my 1st post! hello to you all.

- Hello and welcome.