It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proud letter from school goes viral !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
"these tests do not always assess all of what it is that make each of you special and unique"
What a statement from the school!
Absolutely brilliant !
A breath of fresh air !
What a read !
Wish everyone was just as open and honest,
S and f for the writer of the letter.

m.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Denoli

m.bbc.co.uk...

What? That person is not on ATS, how are you giving them a Star and Flag?

Or are you asking for us to Star and Flag you and you will... pass that on to the writer?

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: PsychoEmperor

m.bbc.co.uk...

Or are you asking for us to Star and Flag you and you will... pass that on to the writer?

I don't need stars and flag and there is stars and flags outside of ats .
But if they was on ats they deserve !
Above star flag

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: PsychoEmperor

m.bbc.co.uk...

They do deserve a S&F ... but they _need_ a box of trophies so they can include one of those with the letter they're sending out. LOL

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
To me this falls into the same category as giving everyone a participation trophy whether they win or lose.

While it's true that just because someone has poor academic scores, they could end up being outstanding in some creative way in art or music. Being another Mozart or Picasso is extremely rare and few make it to that level.

I just don't think that telling kids that "It"s ok if you do poorly on your tests because you are still special in other ways" is wrong.

Everybody is NOT "special" and they will learn that when they get out in the real world to compete in the work place.

If they are told they are special all the time growing up and find out later they can't keep up with everyone else they will have problems.

Not everybody is the same. Some people just excel at math and it just seems to come naturally while others really struggle with it. They may have to work harder to get the same results but they need to do that. Regardless of how hard they have to work to get there everyone needs to achieve the same level of education.

You end up with all these "special" people who can't read, write and do math well who then grow up and complain they can't get a decent job.

I believe in the old "pull yourself up by the bootstraps and get the job done" mentality. I know others (most) on here will disagree with me but that's ok.......because they're most likely one of the "special" ones.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I actually work in an urban school district, so I can tell you firsthand that this attitude may be rooted in good intentions, but it's actually hurting more than it's helping. For one thing, everyone's so accustomed to thinking that their Little Johnny is special that they refuse to believe or accept when something negative happens. My office deals with a lot of the more serious behavioral problems and the subsequent consequences; I can't tell you how many parents will call or come in, arguing vehemently about why Little Johnny is innocent and shouldn't be punished. Or, most recently, when the school year ended, many parents of students who failed and are to repeat the grade started arguing with us about how we can't do that because "he needs to be in the right grade with his friends." Never mind that he learned nothing at all over the past year; it's way more important to cater to his self-esteem, right?

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 03:53 AM
link   

"these tests do not always assess all of what it is that make each of you special and unique"
What a statement from the school!
Absolutely brilliant !
A breath of fresh air !
What a read !
Wish everyone was just as open and honest,

My reaction to the letter was the polar opposite, I'm still spitting the taste of bile from my mouth.

IMO this is just another example of embracing mediocrity, and abject failure. Congratulating children because they can paint a pretty picture, but cannot count past potato is hamstringing them. Imagine how screwed that pretty picture painting child will be when he/she grows up and cannot make proper change, or balance their check book.

The priorities of the faculty and the administration are completely out of touch with what is truly in the best interest of the children they are attempting to teach. The fact that these letters are being sent out in the first place is a great example of the education these children are receiving; these kids are essentially getting a warm fuzzy because the educational system failed them.

top topics

join