It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The New Captain America Is Black

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Senators

I don't see anything wrong with it. A black person can have an overdeveloped sense of patriotism just as anyone else can. With that I don't think there is anything more to be said on the matter...

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   
You can't be Captain America. . . . . you're blek!

lolz

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

More like ... You can't be Captain America ... you don't have the super soldier serum. But we can dress you in his tights.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 04:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Senators
Captain America is now black, a traditional white character, and the Green Lantern is now homosexual.

What? Hal Jordan is now a homo? When did this happen?

Gee, Wonder Woman flys now, Thor is a chick, Hal is a homo and CA is Black? Why not make Barry Allen a pot head - he's always hungry anyway or how about giving Cyclops a Windows 95 operating system, I say Enough with mucking with what is supposed to be Canon already..

for this reason No, I don't want a Black Captain America. I don't give a rats arse how PC it is or how good it might be for the image of Black men in America.. thats BS anyway there are TONS of good popular black super heroes like MANTIS, Cyborg, Black Lightning. Black Panther, Blade etc... Here's a BIG list just full of black superheros en.wikipedia.org... For that matter I don't want a gay Hal Jordan, a chick Thor and give Wonder Woman her damn invisible jet back!

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   
A lot of this trend of turning iconic superheros into minorities feels not very heartfelt to me. Its a marketing ploy to stir controversy or cover up past characters traits that would be looked down on today trying to balance it out. If a white superhero is a bigot then they make a minority superhero foto counteract it for example.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   
This makes sense to me. The Falcon is Captain Americas long time partner. Its not a political correct thing. Its extremely logical that Captain Americas right hand man step up and put on the suit. Would people be up in arms if Batman decided to step aside and let Robin or Nightwing take up his mantle. It makes sense. They would be next in line. People just need to calm down. Not everything is only for PC reasons. Its not like they just invented some random black guy to be the next Captain America. The Falcon and Captain America have a very long history together.
edit on 21-7-2014 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Falcon as Captain America is fine for me since he's been a longtime buddy of the Cap and knows the ropes in taking the Cap's mantle (or shield, more like it). Other things like Thor being a girl would need a better back story. Well, Marvel will provide that anyway.

Come to think of it, there's another character named Miss America and she's Hispanic, which I find cute.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I'm all for the change as long as it's a good story. But I know it won't last. Steve is still alive. They just need to reinject him with the serum. Falcon will make a great Cap!

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I always liked the Falcon. I had the Secret Wars action figure. I enjoyed him in the comics. The thing is that by making him Captain America it sort of cheapens the fact that he was his own original character. I mean it is fine that he is taking up the mantle but doing this sort of stuff with Spiderman and Captain America could be viewed as marginalizing these characters of color until they can assume the identity of what the company thinks is a more "valid" Super Hero. Sometimes I think Marvel should spend more time developing new and unique "ethnic" characters as opposed to making ethnic versions of established white characters. Saying that, it is hard to do such a thing in the big mainstream companies as you would have to find a writer willing to give up rights to a new and original character.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join