It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IAU announces public process to name exoplanets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   
More then 300 confirmed exoplanets have been found so far. Now, if astronomers have to name new objects there's a common way to do that. Usually an exoplanet is just named after the star(-system) together with an additional letter like Gliese 581 b.

Of course such names aren't very handy, even for astronomers themselfs (i guess
)

Now the International Astronomical Union has announced a procedure to name 305 already found and confirmed exoplanets.

Here's the link:

NameExoWorlds

I don't want to go into detail about the whole process and the rules etc. . Everyone can read them up there. Just a quick info about, who actually is allowed to be involved in the process:

To submit your suggestions you need to belong to

public astronomical organisations (such as Planetariums, Science Centres, Amateur Astronomy Clubs, Online Astronomy platforms) or non-profit astronomy-interested organisations (such as High schools, Cultural clubs) with a proven interest in astronomy, (hereafter "organisations" for short) based in any country,

However, if you don't belong to any group matching the above quoted criterica you can at least (as individual) vote for the names, that were suggested, later on.

I bet there will be (again) many names belonging to old greek gods but i hope there also will be some new and creative ones.

Last but least a question to you guys:

Since we don't know much about all these exoplanets yet, beside some basic info, would you name them in a rather classical way or do you have something different in mind for worlds, we don't even know how they will look?
edit on 17-7-2014 by Tichy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I posted this already here:

Ever Wanted to OFFICIALLY Name a Planet? Now you can.

and well before that...

Here:

Now YOU can LEGITIMATELY name a planet!

Since the first thread is still on this page you didn't bother to search before posting.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I'm sorry about that.

I did do a quick search for "exoplanets". Also i scrolled through the topics in this area but must have overlooked that one.

The thing is, that the german article i reat on "www.astronews.de" is from today , july the 17th. Maybe that's why i did a quick search but didn't expected to find something really.

Mods please delete this topic then.

Thanks...

join