It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio teenager claims Instagram removed photo due to her size

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Samm Newman, a 19-year-old student at Ohio University-Chillicothe, said her Instagram account was removed after she posted an image of herself wearing a white bra and boy shorts — far more clothing than some celebrities and other, thinner users get away with, she said.

“I would like an answer myself as to why so many other photos on other accounts are still up,” Newman told FoxNews.com. “The problem is Instagram silencing anyone who doesn’t fit their agenda.”

I don't know much about Instagram except what I learn from my daughter, but it seems to me this young lady has a point. The picture she posted was not nearly as racy as many others I have seen on Instagram and frankly, she seems like a pretty girl to me. I don't like seeing anyone being persecuted and just because someone is overweight doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to feel comfortable in their own skin.

Source

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

If you want to talk about a war on a certain demographic of people, there's an all out assault on "overweight" people.
This is a good example of it.

People should get more exercise and live better if they can, but some can't. Others have glandular problems or just can't escape their own genetics. Yet it is perfectly fine and good to insult and ridicule fat people. No special interest group protecting them.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Why are we encouraging ANYone to post selfies??

Gack.

Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

And at least clean up your room first.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

I'm a good looking woman but the only person seeing me in my underwear is my gf. That's just me.

I don't understand why people post themselves in underwear in front of a mirror, man or woman on a site for people to look at. Seems silly.

At least get a friend to take the picture for you or something.

The exception to the rule being people who are working out and losing weight and monitoring their progress over the months with the pictures. Otherwise seems silly and what's the point?

Either way they probably shouldn't have deleted the photo considering there are far worse things on Instagram than a corn fed dame in her skivvies.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I'd definitely agree that there is a culture that is anti-fat. Correlary, the brain is nearly 60% fat and there is also a culture of anti-intellectualism.

Brain is Nearly 60% fat

edit on 16-7-2014 by Verbavore because: poor grammar

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   
She shouldn't be shamed for it but she should consider eating a better diet and working out.
Yeah you can be overweight or whatever, but promoting that lifestyle is wrong.
Yeah you can love people for being themselves but they should take some responsibility for their body.

You shouldn't be proud to be overweight, only to be yourself. You should actively work to better yourself all the time.

I don't know about instagram's agenda or celebrities who post skanky outfits, just.. stop promoting overweight like it's something you should be proud of when it's clearly a visual of your unhealthy state of being.

sure some people can't help it due to disease and we should be understanding of such things. Just like how we can understand that not everyone needs to be fat either.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I doubt instagram removed it because of her weight. It's not like they spend all their time looking through photos to see if they violate any t&c. Likely, someone flagged the picture and brought it to their attention. I don't think they are letting skinnier people get away with it simply because they are slim.
edit on 16-7-2014 by WakeUpBeer because: typos

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
This ....girl.. obviously wanted some input.
It is her fault for not being able to simply handle the truth.
People in public say "Good for her" but in private where nobody can hear their bias all just say, "what a complete dumpster fire".
Except when it comes to a group of men, we are always truthful to each other about....big girls, nobody wants them except in rare cases.
Truth is, guys want a blonde girl, 5'10, 125 Lbs. with a pretty face.
Mind the gap and raise the bridge.
Unfortunately, many men settle for less or their once trophy wife balloons up and said man is STUCK!
Now I am ready for the flaming, but know what I say is the truth.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: g146541

Ah, because every man in the world is a national treasure deserving of only supermodel women.

lol

Men date fat women because that's what's in their league. That's why you almost never see fit, good looking guys with ugly fat women.

The funniest thing on earth is lumpy low down guys making fun of lumpy low down women like they are some museum piece only deserving of the finest displays of sexual affection from great looking women.

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   

I am sorry, but i have to fully disagree with you here.

Each individual is attracted to the type of person they are attracted to. I never have and probably never will date a stick thin woman.

Just because the media tells you what you are supposed to be attracted to, doesn't mean that everybody has taken the bait. Attraction is not usually a choice and people like myself are very much attracted to larger women, like the girl in the OP.

Some men like twiggy 90 lb women, some men like big girls, some men like tall girls, some men like short girls. Fact is that people come in ALL shapes and sizes and there is nothing wrong with that. People should change for themselves and themselves only. Changing your appearance to attract a certain mate will only lead to disappointment and resentment.

If a person has to work their butt off day in and day out to stay at what they are told is their "ideal" weight is only going to make them miserable and angry.

I say, let people be whatever comes naturally. When people are allowed to be comfortable in whatever their natural state is, they will find other natural people who find them attractive. Two comfortable people have a much better chance at being happy than two people constantly fighting to meet the other person's expectations of them.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: OrphanApology

Ah, because every man in the world is a national treasure deserving of only supermodel women.

Where did you hear this??
Certainly not from me.
You get ONLY what you can afford.

lol

Men date fat women because that's what's in their league. That's why you almost never see fit, good looking guys with ugly fat women.

So...you are saying that fat equals ugly, if that is what you mean by "in their league" or would you like to backpeddle on that statement?
I do know a very fit, although not young anymore guy who loves fat women, he is the rare one I mentioned in my OP.
But go ahead and blanket everything in a vain attempt to make a point.

The funniest thing on earth is lumpy low down guys making fun of lumpy low down women like they are some museum piece only deserving of the finest displays of sexual affection from great looking women.

Correct, and this works the other way around too.
Guys just don't like fat chicks for the overwhelming majority

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: xDeadcowx
If you would care to re-read, I said...

Except when it comes to a group of men, we are always truthful to each other about....big girls, nobody wants them except in rare cases.

So....now that you know this..
I can tell you for sure that you do not speak for all of us, welcome to rarity!

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
There is a lot more to a person then their looks. The big girls that are overlooked by those guys with belief based solely on looks are lucky, those guys most likely not worth dating.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
"overweight"

You know the problem with overweight oppression thing is the fact that many of the people who claim they're being oppressed because they're overweight aren't overweight. They're obese or beyond obese. There are distinct definitions between normal, overweight, obese and morbidly obese.

If your curves have become one singular curve, you're obese and you need to work on it. There will always be a line between shaming and being honest but it will always start with the person.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   

I saw that the first time i read your post, but I don't think its as rare as you think it is.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Ok movie, in part about corporations making obesity the new sexy.

Anyway, people who get into relationships based on looks alone are doing it wrong. Depending on what they're looking for in a relationship I guess.
edit on 16-7-2014 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: xDeadcowx

I am sorry, but i have to fully disagree with you here.

Each individual is attracted to the type of person they are attracted to. I never have and probably never will date a stick thin woman.

Just because the media tells you what you are supposed to be attracted to, doesn't mean that everybody has taken the bait. Attraction is not usually a choice and people like myself are very much attracted to larger women, like the girl in the OP.

Some men like twiggy 90 lb women, some men like big girls, some men like tall girls, some men like short girls. Fact is that people come in ALL shapes and sizes and there is nothing wrong with that. People should change for themselves and themselves only. Changing your appearance to attract a certain mate will only lead to disappointment and resentment.

If a person has to work their butt off day in and day out to stay at what they are told is their "ideal" weight is only going to make them miserable and angry.

I say, let people be whatever comes naturally. When people are allowed to be comfortable in whatever their natural state is, they will find other natural people who find them attractive. Two comfortable people have a much better chance at being happy than two people constantly fighting to meet the other person's expectations of them.

Bravo to your post. My sentiments as well. Reminds me of aa ecard thats says "Oh your looks are just awesome , its your personality that needs to have a bag over it". Give me a woman with some curves not skin and bones.
I was a twig all through my younger days and am still skinny now. I used to drink extra 2000 calories a day in protien drinks and work out 6 days a week trying to beef up to be joe jock stud so the women would like me. What a waste of time and money. I finally learned I am what I am and worked of what kind of person I was not what I looked like on the outside.
I say hooray for the young lady. If the other girls ho look like they are strung out on meth and crack can do it so can you girl. Love yourself and screw the self professed pretty people.
I have been around thin very attractive women who were so damn stuck on themselfs and could not go by thier reflection without admiring themselves , but boy was there a big ass whole in their personalities. Dont get me wrong , there are some thin attractive women who are down to earth but there are alot who are full of their selfs and are miserable bitches.
Better to find someone who you not only love , but you also like to be around them. Believe me , once you hit about 50 looks will be something that will carry very little value. Love, loyalty, and friendship is what matters.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I agree with her. Although I would love all people posting photos of themselves to be deleted.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   

I think you generalized too much or maybe only have perspective from your own group of friends. I'm a thin, short woman and bisexual... Like men for their minds and couldn't care less what they look like... Women on the other hand I prefer big. I'm brutal on myself to be fit but don't want to really look at or touch a woman without curves. The person that said we're all wired differently with respect to our different attractions is right.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Well, she's got cute dimples, and the ones on her cheek look nice too.

Well I'm a Lesbian, I love all women, especially petite ones.

EEEuuuwww, fancy kissing a sweaty man....yuckoooo.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join