It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for UK people - is 1st class post next day?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Hi i am in York i had a parcel posted to me by royal mail, it wasnt special delivery but it had a 1st class stamp
It has not arrived yet, it was sent from Stockport.

Isnt 1st class next day?
Can somebody tell me is it normal that it has not arrived yet and how long does it take as standard

Thanks

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Had to laugh when I saw your post, pardon the pun. First Class is meant to be next day, however it very rarely works out that way. These days you might as well send it Second Class, they will arrive days later.

a reply to: uninfluenced

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Depends how big the parcel is; it might need more than one stamp.

If it was a letter, then yeah, next day.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
It should be, but then it all comes down to sorting and delivery. From personally working in that part i know drivers who will refuse to do a drop because then have more then 50 per day, they would leave it to tomorrow to then put it on the round.

just the way it is.

also.. took 2 clicks.

www.royalmail.com...

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: uninfluenced you should get it within at least 3 working days

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
the po will say "the next working day" so that will be dependent on the local depots opening hours or workload.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
First class stamp is normally the next day delivery, but depending how big the parcel is. It usually has to be weighed otherwise you may get a bill from the postman when he comes to pay the extra cost for delivery and handling charge......

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Why is this in the Military forum???
Is there something nefarious in your expected package?
Booger...now you've delayed all mail between Stockport and York

1st class letter in my experience has always arrived/delivered the next day.
1st class package even a small one can take up to 3 working days as somebody said.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
It's probably being injected, inspected and x-rayed by customs your end!

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Yes should be next day as long as it had the right postage on it. The postage rates have recently got even more complex with a whole load of different size categories for parcels so the sender may have got it wrong in which case you will get a card saying there is postage due.

You said "it had a first class stamp on it" — I hope it wasn't just one stamp as they are only good for letters, not parcels!

I send quite a lot of parcels as I sell on eBay and Amazon and despite all the complaints I hear about Royal Mail I have never had one go astray!

As a side note I always use stamps rather than the postage labels. You can buy them at a discount (80% of face value) through dealers and there is the added benefit that if you stick five or six stamps on adding up to the correct 2nd class rate they always seem to go 1st class. I assume they can't be bothered adding up the stamps!

edit on 16-7-2014 by Rob48 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
No, first class is not next day. It's supposed to be the quicker option. If the system worked as it should, it would likely be next day if posted before pick-up. Rarely nowadays is the service any improvement over 2nd class. This has been brought to light multiple times in recent years.

www.bbc.co.uk...

"Lawrence spoke to the Royal Mail complaints department and was informed that the delivery time for the first class post was, as far as the post office was concerned, delivery within 15 working days."

top topics

join