It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ethical Issues on Empathy--I need advice!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I'm an empath, and my greataunt is dying.

Sorry, there's no nice way to say this.

I can feel her dying, and she really dosn' t have a lot of time left. The problem is, though, that she won't let on how bad she's doing.

My mom (her niece) has to go out of town for her job this weekend.

I don't think my aunt'll last that long, but everyone else thinks she's doing fine.

What should I tell my mom?

My parents know nothing of my empathy skills, and they frown on the metaphysical sciences. If I just walk up to her and say that I'm an empath, she wont believe it. I don't want them to think I'm insane, but I also don't wabnt her to be out of town when her aunt dies.

Any thoughts?

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
If you really believe that she will die, then you should tell your mom.
If you're not sure about her reaction to your empathic talents, leave them out. Just act the concerned relative, ask your mom how she would feel if your Gt Aunt died and your mom wasn't there to see her one last time.
Sorry, but thats all I can think of right now.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   
i wouldn't say anything, my grandmother is in her last days too, body is frail but her spirit is still strong, surprisingly she has lasted longer than anyone has expected to.

While your great aunt may be close, the fact that she is not letting on how serious her condition is, basically says to me she doesn't want anyone sitting around, watching her, waiting for her to die.

many close to death, usually do this, so that loved ones won't alter their lives and sometimes they just don't want to see us grieve for them.

my only suggestion to you, is to say whatever you want to your aunt and allow whatever happens to happen.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   
In 1992 my gran went into hospital with heart failure. She had suffered with it for years and had been in hospital a few times previously. Needless to say, we thought she would pull through as she had done before.

I went to visit her on the Saturday and she seemed fine. Later that evening I was at my parents when my brother came to visit. He had been working all day and was absolultely knackered so he said that he would visit our gran the next day. For some reason I knew that he had to visit her that night. I don't know why.

I ignored the 'message', thinking it was just the effects of visiting the hospital depressing me. I wish I hadn't - she died the next morning and my brother never had the chance to see her one more time.

My opinion is to go with your feelings. You never know, you may be right. I wouldn't want you to go through years of 'what if' as I have done.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I'm a rather strong empath myself so you have my sympathies and understanding of what it is you're going through.

My ethics regarding such situations have always been that I wouldn't say anything. A lot of it comes from a little plaque my mother used to have hanging in the dining room that said "Worry is the price you pay for things that may never come." If you say something I've always felt that the worry that is caused may very well generate negative energy towards our target (in this case, your relative) that may well generate the outcome we want to prevent.

I don't mean to sound like a kook or insensitive to you, but would it really be any different than your mother going away on a business trip and someone dieing in a car accident? I know that you want her to be able to be around if something does happen, but at what risk? and what if nothing happens after you tell your mom and she cancels the trip? What are her consequences for not going on that trip? etc....

like I said I don't want to sound insensitive to the situation but those are the types of questions I ask myself when faced with a similar situation.

Hope I helped......if not, I'm sorry.

*edited to add*

I almost forgot..I do wish the best for you and your family through this. While I understand empathy...I also know the hopes that go along with these situations and hoping that you're wrong. You have my best wishes to you and your family.

[edit on 3-12-2004 by PolluX]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   
hate to dredge up an apparently dead thread, but I'm wondering what happened with this?

Did you say anything to her? how's your aunt?

Just call me concerned and curious.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Hi Valedamar (once again)

I believe you should not say either of the both things: you should not tell your parents you�re an empath, nor you should tell them what you really feel about the health condition of your great-aunt.

If you feel pretty sure on what think it is going to happen, I guess it would be better to say your parents you are concern with your mother's aunt's health, and try to justify based on some kind of physical visible changes everyone could notice on your great-aunt if they were aware to that possibility. This should be enough to make your parents or other relatives to be aware to any not regular behavior.

To expose abruptly what you truly feel / think is going to happen would just not being taken into account.

Good luck, anyway

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Ethical Issues on Empathy--I need advice!

If I were you, I'd tell mom I didn't think Aunty was going to be here much longer and leave it at that.
I'd also Tell the Aunt that it's ok to be tired and it's ok to feel poorly. Tell her that this is her time, and not to worry about protecting the family. Tell her the family NEEDS to be there for HER

mod edit: fixed quote tags

[edit on 9-12-2004 by Spectre]

top topics

join